Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/2/2009 9:25:10 AM EDT

CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. (AP) –– Federal, state and military officials are
investigating the discovery of about 100 pounds of explosives in
Montgomery County.

Ted Denny, a Montgomery County Sheriff's
spokesman, said two hunters discovered the C-4, a plastic explosive, on
residential property out in the county late Sunday evening.

Denny
said it appears the explosives are military ordnance, so officials from
nearby Fort Campbell as well as the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco,
Firearms and Explosives were also investigating.

Denny said authorities are talking to a person of interest in the case but no arrests have been made yet.

Lon
Santis, manager of technical services for the Institute of Makers of
Explosives, the safety and security association of the commercial
explosives industry, said most C-4 explosives are used by the military,
but it does have limited commercial use, such as demolition.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:28:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Is it even legal to get C-4?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:33:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Tag for potential stump clearing
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:35:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Probably have to have a special license to be able to buy and possess it.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:35:54 AM EDT
[#4]
If I thought that I could legally obtain some C-4, I'm almost positive I could find some stumps that need to be cleared in the back yard......

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:36:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Tag for potential group buy.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:37:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Was probably 200 lbs before they called in the feds...
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:43:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Man, I was wondering where I left that
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:45:10 AM EDT
[#8]
100 lbs... pshawww

Thats panty weight.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:45:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If I thought that I could legally obtain some C-4, I'm almost positive I could find some stumps that need to be cleared in the back yard......

I'd plant some trees just to buy it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:22:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:31:02 AM EDT
[#11]
The "person of interest" is an Army soldier.

Linky
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:32:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. (AP) –– ....

Take the last train to Clarksville
and I'll meet you at the station
with 100 pounds of C4 all
prepared for detonation.

Don't be slow.

Oh oh oh oh.

Very nice.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:37:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You must have a Federal Explosives (Manuf. or User) license to get it. You have to explain what type of explosives you plan on using and for what purpose they are intended before the BATFE will grant your license.
C-4 in it's military form is utilized in demolition (as the article stated) but not very often, anymore.

Sounds like someone in the nearby military had it stashed.
Bad storm to follow...

ETA: Most PETN utilized in the commercial field is in PrimaCord (DetCord) form.
Fun stuff!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:40:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Cook up a lot of coffee with that much.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:43:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Just don't try and stomp it out.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:43:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

prepared for detonation.

Don't be slow.

Oh oh oh oh.

Good one
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:43:59 AM EDT
[#17]
They have now made an arrest. I made a post about it. It is a Special Forces person.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=950040
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:44:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

just don't stomp it out  
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:53:42 AM EDT
[#19]
What a dumbass.

He will have plenty of time to contemplate his stupidity in prison.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:56:09 AM EDT
[#20]
I have scoured high and low and haven't even found a company that sells RDX based explosives. I can't really think of anything you would specificly need C-4 explosive wise in the demolition feild. A lot Commercial caps don't even reliably set it off.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:57:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They have now made an arrest. I made a post about it. It is a Special Forces person.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=950040

SOP would be cache the package.  

Guess he's special SF.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:59:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Linky

Dude is SF and he cannot properly cache something?  Sucks to be him.  Or is he being set up?  
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:03:08 AM EDT
[#23]
My uncle use to tell stories about the crazy old lady who you'd go to and buy sticks of dynamite out of her garage. Sounds like good times.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:03:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:10:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have scoured high and low and haven't even found a company that sells RDX based explosives. I can't really think of anything you would specificly need C-4 explosive wise in the demolition feild. A lot Commercial caps don't even reliably set it off.

http://www.dynonobel.com/NR/rdonlyres/8ECE459F-6E7B-41B4-B2BE-D25B151B700A/0/Fireline1780_RDX_LS_XHV.pdf

There you go.

ETA: This is oilfield DetCord.
Standard #8 blasting cap detonates it just fine if it's tied in correctly.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:13:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Ya know, I almost posted it was gonna be some SF guy they were looking at but thought that would be too cliché. It sounds like someone forgot the hole part from the burying illicit explosives handbook.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:17:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  Yup.  Need special Federal ATF-E license to purchase it, you have to fill out plenty of paperwork, and listed in that paperwork you have to provide documentation that you have a constructed & secured 'Magazine' in which to store said explosives, and blasting caps need to be stored (and purchased, IIRC) separately.

But it IS legal - just extremely rare here in CONUS, IIRC.

The JBT's () have to come out and inspect the mag. before they will issue the license, also.
You pretty much get to know your local agents and inspectors on a first name basis.
(whether you like it or not)
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:19:05 AM EDT
[#28]
100 pounds of C-4 sounds a tad excessive
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:20:29 AM EDT
[#29]
A lot of fun could be had with 100 lbs of C4 and the proper detonators.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:20:33 AM EDT
[#30]
This sounds familiar.

Is the C4 molded into the shape of bunnies?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:41:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

If so I'm in for a group buy.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:46:12 AM EDT
[#32]
so did the military originally just "call it missing"
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:46:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:59:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have scoured high and low and haven't even found a company that sells RDX based explosives. I can't really think of anything you would specifically need C-4 explosive wise in the demolition field. A lot Commercial caps don't even reliably set it off.

http://www.dynonobel.com/NR/rdonlyres/8ECE459F-6E7B-41B4-B2BE-D25B151B700A/0/Fireline1780_RDX_LS_XHV.pdf

There you go.

ETA: This is oilfield DetCord.
Standard #8 blasting cap detonates it just fine if it's tied in correctly.

That's the first I have seen of RDX based explosives for sale. The thing with C-4 because of Plasticizers and tagant that goes with it, Lower strength commercial caps seem to snot the crap out of I have learned to use mono filament tape around the block where the priming hole is it seems to hold shit together long enough to get good propagation going. Most types of detcord with powdered explosives in them seem to go just fine as long as you got decent continuity.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:01:37 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. (AP) –– Federal, state and military officials areinvestigating the discovery of about 100 pounds of explosives inMontgomery County.

Ted Denny, a Montgomery County Sheriff'sspokesman, said two hunters discovered the C-4, a plastic explosive, onresidential property out in the county late Sunday evening.

Dennysaid it appears the explosives are military ordnance, so officials fromnearby Fort Campbell as well as the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco,Firearms and Explosives were also investigating.

Denny said authorities are talking to a person of interest in the case but no arrests have been made yet.

LonSantis, manager of technical services for the Institute of Makers ofExplosives, the safety and security association of the commercialexplosives industry, said most C-4 explosives are used by the military,but it does have limited commercial use, such as demolition.

There is no legal 'personal use' quantity without an ATF explosives license.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:02:39 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

You can, but you have to get an explosives license...

To get an explosives license, you have to meet safe-storage requirements, which means you need an honest-to-god explosives magazine (read: CONCRETE BUNKER)....

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:05:02 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. (AP) –– Federal, state and military officials areinvestigating the discovery of about 100 pounds of explosives inMontgomery County.

Ted Denny, a Montgomery County Sheriff'sspokesman, said two hunters discovered the C-4, a plastic explosive, onresidential property out in the county late Sunday evening.

Dennysaid it appears the explosives are military ordnance, so officials fromnearby Fort Campbell as well as the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco,Firearms and Explosives were also investigating.

LonSantis, manager of technical services for the Institute of Makers ofExplosives, the safety and security association of the commercialexplosives industry, said most C-4 explosives are used by the military,but it does have limited commercial use, such as demolition.

There is no legal 'personal use' quantity without an ATF explosives license.

As Foghorn Leghorn was fond of saying.................................."That was a joke son."

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:05:22 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

It's stolen govt property...

Any amount of that is excessive...

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:06:12 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Military C4 has tagants in it...

CID is probably looking for it, and once they get a sample, will be able to tell where it's missing from...

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:09:25 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's stolen govt property...

Any amount of that is excessive...

Do you take every comment literally......................................?

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:09:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Well, the pile WAS 200 lbs, but the hunters could only carry so much...
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:11:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Military C4 has tagants in it...

CID is probably looking for it, and once they get a sample, will be able to tell where it's missing from...

Only if it was made after 1998. Before then it's not tagged. More than likely it was claimed to have been blowed up and he didn't feel like turning it in. Probably accumulated over time.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:11:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Linky

this was my initial reaction
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:14:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'd bet there were several people involved. One to draw the c4 another to expend and a third to sign for the expenditure. I recall in 1990 or so a landlord found a stash in a rented housetrailer off base from Camp LeJeune. Yup, sure enough they were from Recon Battalion and several were involved up to the E6 or E7 level.

I am sure they are all out of Federal Prison by now though.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:15:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I used to sleep on more than that.  ...a few wool blankets on top and it's kinda' comfy

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:28:10 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

More than likely it was claimed to have been blowed up and he didn't feel like turning it in. Probably accumulated over time.

I know an 18C that had about 4 lbs of C-4 that he had accumulated. He wasn't bragging about it either, just stated it like it was no big deal.

"Left overs" he called it. He said he ended up detonating it on a training mission right before he retired.

He wasn't one of those guys that would bullshit about something like that.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:34:46 PM EDT
[#47]
News link from the other thread.

Am I the only one who wants to say WTF to those hunters?  Were they supposed to be there or were they trespassing?  Why were they snooping through the guy's stuff?  Were the crates just sitting out in the open or were they in a barn or shed or something?  Either way, Mr. Special Forces didn't hide his contraband very well, but it also makes me consider very carefully who I allow on my property, seems that you can't trust folks these days.

http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=11424112&Call=Email&Format=HTML

CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. - An Army Special Forces soldier has been arrested following the discovery of 100 pounds of explosives at his Tennessee home in Montgomery County.

Two hunters stumbled upon 100 pounds of C-4 Sunday night at the solider's farm on Johnson Road. The explosives were found in crates.

The house is located near the Fort Campbell, Ky., Army post where the solider is based.

Maj. April Olsen, a spokeswoman for Army Special Forces at Fort Campbell, said the solider, who was not identified, is currently being held in the county jail.

The Montgomery County Sheriff's Bomb Squad was called out to investigate along with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the FBI.

Ted Denny, spokesman for the Montgomery County sheriff, said the explosives found late Sunday evening appeared to be military ordinance.

The ATF was lead in this case.

Stay connected to NewsChannel 5 and www.newschannel5.com for more on this developing story.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:49:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:58:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:

prepared for detonation.

Don't be slow.

Oh oh oh oh.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:03:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Why the fuck were the alleged "hunters" digging around on someones farm?

This smells like bullshit.  Someone didn't have enough info. or even reasonable suspicion to get a warrant, so a couple of "hunters" just happened stumble across a couple hundred pounds of C4.

Right.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top