Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2001 10:15:43 PM EDT
I'm talking the first big hollywood movie about the War? Was it "Green Berets" with John Wayne?

Was there one before that?
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 10:27:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Either the Green Berets or The Boys in Company C. There can be no Full Metal Jacket without The Boys. It set the mold for almost all Vietnam movies since.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 10:35:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Boys in Company C is on right now and came out in 78'. Wasn't there something earlier than the  "Green Berets"?
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 10:57:17 PM EDT
[#3]
The Green Berets would be hard to beat.  I'm pretty sure that it came out in the 1968 time frame as I remember reading that George Takei had to take time off from the second season of Star Trek for the principal photography.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 3:21:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 4:05:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Go Tell the Spartans came out in 1978, as did The Deer Hunter (which I think won an Oscar for Best Picture).

GunLvr
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 5:02:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Yea, 'The Green Beret' came out in '68. It would be hard to find a movie before that one. Unless, it were a more obscure film.

'The Boys in Company C' came out, I think, in '76-'78.

And 'The Deer Hunter' won the Oscar for Best Picture in '78.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 5:37:05 PM EDT
[#7]
VERY obscure....A grade "D" movie staring Marshell Thompson.  Can't even remember the name of it, but it was one of those where just about everyone got killed.  This little stinker was made in the very early 60's, just after the first Marines landed.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 11:50:46 PM EDT
[#8]
It was a movie starring Jack Webb as a Marine D.I. and a recruit who has a hard time adjusting to military life (considering he was a "flower child"). I think the recruit was Jan Micheal Vincent. I'm trying to remember the movie title. The Green Berets was really a propoganda movie to help the war effort. I still liked it!
I think the movie was called "Tribes"
WSmac

Here's the movie I was thinking of, guess I was wrong....

THE D.I.

Directed by Jack Webb

Setting: The Marine boot camp on Parris Island in the 1950s
Main Characters: Sergeant Jim Moore, Private Owens, Captain
     Anderson, Burt
Contains nothing offensive
Screenplay by James Lee Barrett
Music: David Buttolph
Special Categories: Soldiers; Boot Camp; Drill Instructors;
     Family Traditions; Marines;
Misfit Owens (Don Dubbins), trying to uphold a family tradition of strong soldiers, enlists in the Marines, and ends up in boot camp on Parris Island, where a tough drill instructor named Sergeant Jim Moore (Jack Webb) makes life a living hell for Owens and the other recruits.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 12:02:04 AM EDT
[#9]
[url]http://www.geocities.com/warmoviedatabase/mvietnam.html[/url]

[url]http://www.filmsondisc.com/Features/vietnam/Vietnam.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 12:27:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
          THE D.I.

Directed by Jack Webb

Setting: The Marine boot camp on Parris Island in the 1950s
Main Characters: Sergeant Jim Moore, Private Owens, Captain
     Anderson, Burt
Contains nothing offensive
Screenplay by James Lee Barrett
Music: David Buttolph
Special Categories: Soldiers; Boot Camp; Drill Instructors;
     Family Traditions; Marines;
Misfit Owens (Don Dubbins), trying to uphold a family tradition of strong soldiers, enlists in the Marines, and ends up in boot camp on Parris Island, where a tough drill instructor named Sergeant Jim Moore (Jack Webb) makes life a living hell for Owens and the other recruits.  
View Quote

I remember seeing that movie last year. It was ok, but I don't think there were any VN combat scenes and it only covered boot camp.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 9:35:15 AM EDT
[#11]
faris got it.  

A Yank in Viet-Nam aka Year of the Tiger (1964) Marshall Thompson as Major Benson.

The D.I. was released in 1957.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 11:03:32 AM EDT
[#12]
The D.I. was not a 'Nam movie. I haven't seen it for years, so I remembered it wrong. As I recall, I liked the movie.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top