Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2006 7:31:19 PM EDT
What U.S. state has the best lighting storms? / What U.S. state has the most lighting storms?

I want to live in a state that has a lot of lighting storms.  I think It would be cool to watch.

If you see alot of lightning storms please tell me what region of the state you live in, or some real cools places you know off.

And no, I am not going to disinter corpses and try to reanimate them in a lightning storm.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:32:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Florida is the most lightning struck place IN THE WORLD
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:32:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I remember reading about whats called "The Lightning Field", where they have a vast amount of lighting rods... and you can sit down and watch them "light up" during a storm.

I think its in New Mexico/Arizona..

tag for other responses.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:36:21 PM EDT
[#3]
We used to get hellacious lightning storms in Nebraska...and we still do in Texas.

They are bad boys in both states.

HH
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:36:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Alot of it is how good your view is as well.   Out west I've seen some pretty amazing lightning, but there were no trees in any direction.   In  areas with more foliage, you hear alot of bangs, but miss out on 75% of the lightning because there are trees all around you.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:39:02 PM EDT
[#5]
#1 Florida Everglades

#2 White Mountians in Arizona
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:39:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I always thought Florida was the lightning capital
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:52:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

This statement is incorrect.  
Per this link  www.space.com/scienceastronomy/planetearth/nasa_lightning_020128.html,
Central Africa has that claim.  Florida is the hot spot in the U.S.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:54:02 PM EDT
[#8]
We get some of the most intense and spectacular Lightning storms down here over the Everglades. Its been a few years, but when they come, I go sit out back and watch it approach.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:59:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I keep thinking of Thunder Bay Ontario...
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:01:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

..and we have the coolest ones
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:02:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
We get some of the most intense and spectacular Lightning storms down here over the Everglades. Its been a few years, but when they come, I go sit out back and watch it approach.

Hell yes! Summer is right around the corner!!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:03:58 PM EDT
[#12]
In the last few weeks we have had some good ones here in Little Rock, but it is that time of year.  Anywere in the South you are going to get some good shows but Florida will be your best bet.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:05:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I thought Tucson, AZ had the most strikes in the world.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:16:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Florida has the most lightning in the U.S., but until you have seen a Supercell thunderstorm's lighting output, you haven't seen a real lighting storm.

They can put out a massive show of lighting and as an added bonus hail up to grapefruit size and an occasional tornado to boot.   These storms put on quite a show, but we don't have them year round.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:17:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Discovery Channel just 10 minutes ago said Texas has more tornados than anywhere in the U.S.

HH
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:39:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Mountain tops, even high hills get WAY more lightning than average.  Knew a guy with a 100 ft. tower on the highest point in the county, he would get strikes anytime a thunderstorm rolled through.  Something to keep in mind next time you're hiking in the mountains and you hear thunder...

Lightning Strike survivor's group
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:43:04 PM EDT
[#17]
It isnt the most pleasant experience having lightning bolts strike within a hundred yards of your house every minute or so.

Fun to watch from a ways away though.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:10:02 PM EDT
[#18]
http://www.menzelphoto.com/images/gallery/big/environment/lightning/gal_env_lig_01-.jpg

This is a typical Tucson monson summer storm.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:26:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Florida is the state with the most lightning storms with storms occurring approximately 100 days out of the year; a fact about lightning is that lightning hits each square mile in Central Florida 40 times a year. Florida is also the state with the highest rate of lightning strikes in the nation with an average of 10 deaths per year (2001).

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:30:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Actually, Java, an island of Indonesia, is the most active area in the world, with an average of 223 storm days per year.

Florida ranks number one in the number of deaths due to lightning, 94% of which occur between late May and end of September. An average of 100 people are killed in the U.S. each year (13 in Florida) and almost 600 injured (30 in Florida).
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:25:44 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
It isnt the most pleasant experience having lightning bolts strike within a hundred yards of your house every minute or so.

Fun to watch from a ways away though.

+1!  You can hear all the transformers in the neighborhood blow, 1 by 1.  And the requisite darkness to match.

Orlando is the thunderstorm capitol of the US.  During the summer it storms so hard, its like the end of the world.  I always expected to go outside afterwards and see the paint stripped off the car.  Several times it rained soo hard I thought it might tear the roof off the house.  Its unlike anything you've ever seen.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:32:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Lighting storm?

They have those at raves.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:59:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:35:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:00:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Orlando is the lightning capitol of the world.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:02:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Dismal Seepage, Iowa has a lot of cornfields-(that's why their football
team is called the Kernels).  Anyhow, it is a widely know factoid that
cornfields attract lightning.

There was this guy near us who couldn't make a go of it as a farmer, so
he went a little nutty and built a baseball diamond on his place.
Darned if old timers didn't start showing up in their uniforms ready for a
pick-up game.

Well, one night, late August, a whole bunch of geezers show up. They look like they had just
emerged from the grave, they were so "vintage".  So the game gets going real
good and.....Kaaaaaa-Booooom!!!   Lightning strike takes 'em all out. Nothing left but a
smouldering crater and about a zillion tons of popped corn. Seems the idiot farmer had
not tilled his surrounding fields under and because of the several rainstorms we'd had
that summer he had accidently grown what turned out to be a bumper crop of pop corn.

I recollect some talk a while back about a book or movie project based upon that idiot farmer;
but most of us have always felt no one would believe the story so we have just kind of kept it
local.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:03:28 AM EDT
[#27]
West coast of Florida in mid summer
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:33:22 AM EDT
[#28]
For the US, definitely Florida. I remember a particularly violent storm I watched at MacDill AFB in 1984. I counted 8 separate ground and tree strikes within a 3 minute period within 100 feet of my office window. and that was with a very narrow field of view (maybe 60-70 degrees). There had to be 4-5 times as many more in the other directions I could not view. Anybody going out into that storm had to have a death wish.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:59:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Arizona has gorgeous lightning storms......best viewed from high locations....

NO it isn't safe but it sure is pretty.....
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:40:48 AM EDT
[#30]
tag
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:07:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Northern VA had an awesome display earlier this week-double rainbow with cloud to cloud lightning bolts THROUGH the rainbow
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:15:14 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
West coast of Florida in mid summer

+1

There's a reason for the name:

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:19:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Why settle for just  lightning?

Come to central Oklahoma's Tornado Alley and see some real phenomenon
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:37:54 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Why settle for just  lightning?

Come to central Oklahoma's Tornado Alley and see some real phenomenon

Don't people from Oklahoma have to live in a house like a concrete egg, or a geometric dome?  Or are there just a bunch of nutjobs living in Oklahoma, present company excluded.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top