Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2005 6:36:18 PM EDT
Every year we sit through dozens of movie trailers.  Some we see are on the Tube.  Others we see before the Main Feature begins.

And Let’s Face It:
Very often the Trailer we see is better than the movie we go to see later.

My First Off-ing:
The Villian.

The Preview was full of everything I liked in the movie.  Everything else I hated.

There have been others, of course.  Movies I wanted to see, but when I actually got to watch it, I wanted my money back.

What say the Hove Mind:
What movie did you have high hopes for, but having seen the movie, you must have been high thinking the movie was going to be any good?

Come On:
Name names!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:15:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Lost in Space was a real stinker. That CGI thing dropped it down quite a few points.

Dark City. Mostly because the trailer made it look a lot cooler to me. I liked the movie but it didn't come close to meeting my expectations.

The three Star wars prequels.

more to come...
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:27:41 PM EDT
[#2]
My greatest movie disappointment was an easy pick:  Starship Troopers.

One of the greatest novels ever, one of the worst movies ever.  I was actually MAD about one of the great conservative books being turned into a crap liberal parody.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:29:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

One of the greatest novels ever, one of the worst movies ever.  I was actually MAD about one of the great conservative books being turned into a crap liberal parody.

yep
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:35:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Dare Devil, I was sorry I paid th $4.39 + tax to rent it. This is why I stopped going to the movies.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:59:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Cabin Fever. I thought it looked like a good mutant virus spooky movie from the preview, like 28 days later.  I was so WRONG!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:02:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Matrix 2 & 3.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:15:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Matrix 2 & 3.

Good one. I liked the movies but they were still a huge letdown compared to the impact the first one had for me.

I didn't read Starship Troopers before the movie and it was STILL a disappointment... but I still find it fun to watch on occasion.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:22:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Starship Troopers, Bar None

Many other movies didn't live up to what I expected but it's the only one that actually pissed me the F off.  May the ghost of RAH smite whowever was involved with that.

Second would be the FIRST Star Wars prequal, they were hard to do and in my opinion Episode One was the only one that really fell on it's face. It does have redeming qualities though.

The Matrix's (Matricies?)I knew couldn't be as cool as the first one.  The introduction to the concept is what was so cool about 1.  The middle one is kind of lame and I will pass over it while going through the HBOs.  The third I will always stop on to see if the "docking bay battle" is on.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:24:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Last 3 star wars

Any of the last comicbook superhero movies

the last 2 matrix's

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:34:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:41:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:44:27 AM EDT
[#12]
SKYCAPTAIN AND THE WORLD OF TOMORROW

the previews were better than the movie.  i fell asleep and felt ripped off after the movie!  for the first time i wanted my money back!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:45:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I really need to buy a copy of that book. Everytime someone talks about Heinlein's work I think about that crapfest of a movie and I laugh.

I'll add Die Hard 2 to the list.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Starship Troopers? That wasn't as bad as my choice...

Firebirds

OMG that movie sucked ass. "It's the Army version of the movie 'TopGun'!"

The absolute worst was Battlefield Earth but that one we all knew was going to reek, so it doesnt count.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:54:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I have walked out of many a movie.  First ones coming to mind (and I fully anticipate the crap storm) was Kill Bill, some moive with Norm McDonald, Bridget Jones, etc.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:47:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Event Horizon - heard so much about it, I was so stoked to get scared shitless and by the end I was pissed that I could sleep that night.

Episodes 1-3 of Star Wars - 'Nuff said.

Hunt For Red October - Man, that was boring.  Good ending, but it took way too long to get to.  Guess it's a guy thing.

Pulp Fiction - I don't see the big deal.  A few memorable scenes, but a lot if it seemed really random.

Flame away...
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#17]
American Beauty - It was a good movie as far as the male liberation goes, but it had to get politically correct (male gun owners and military guy are repressed gay Nazi) and the kid next door is a cretin no matter what he thinks he is.  The ending is simply atrocious.  It's as if the writers couldn't come up with a good ending, so they had the guy shot (again, the politically corect "gun bad, repressing homosexual urges bad, etc")  Had the movie focused on the couple's marital relationship, it would have really deserved those Oscars
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:05:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
SKYCAPTAIN AND THE WORLD OF TOMORROW

the previews were better than the movie.  i fell asleep and felt ripped off after the movie!  for the first time i wanted my money back!

Good one. I thought that would be a cool movie... but every time I tried to watch it, it was like it sent out a sublminal signal to sleep. Boring. I didn't even see it to the end.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:32:35 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I was less PO'd about the typical Lib spin as I was that the movie had abso-frickin-lutely nothing to do with the book, other than some heavy borrowing!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:15:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Not sure I'd call it a disappointment, but "Apocolypes Now" sucked.

Same with "The Thin Red Line."
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:39:09 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

You're fired.

Agreed

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:16:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

"The Thin Red Line."

I was really excited about it after reading th book, but watching the movie, I just said: WTF!

My friends won't let me pick movies now for choosing that stinker.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:46:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Thin Red Line

Yep, took the wife to see it and we both walked out asking each other what in the hell was that!

The Doors
Any Chick Flix that she makes me watch.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:53:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Aliens 3.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:29:20 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're fired.

Agreed

LOL.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:42:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Star Trek Nemesis was a let down
the new War of the Worlds was a huge let down
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:52:26 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Damn, if those were your biggest disappointments, you don't watch many movies...
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:33:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Another Movie I had hopes for but was disappointed in was Eugenie.

BOTD Warning if you Cut & Paste.  She's covered but it's rather close.

http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/cover_art1/eugenie.jpg

The Trailer had more nudity in it than any feature length movie I had ever watched before.  I’m talking about Full Frontal Nudity here.  I wasn’t quite old enough to go see it at the time; it was Rated X.

Flash forward a couple (!) decades.  Blue-Underground.com came out with it a few years ago.
I grabbed it and watched it as soon as it came in the mail.  And while I enjoyed the nudity, the movie as a whole disappointed me.  20+ years of waiting down the drain!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:18:49 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn, if those were your biggest disappointments, you don't watch many movies...

I've become very good at judging movies from their trailers
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:21:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Battlefield Earth

Thin Red Line
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:40:29 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I have got to agree with you on this one.  Although the movie was somewhat entertaining, it was a $hit dump compared to the book.  Starship Troopes should be required reading for everyone prior to enlisting in the infantry.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:48:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Alien vs. Predator
The Thin Red Line
Matrix 2 & 3
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:46:38 AM EDT
[#33]
The Thin Red Line
Alien 3
Alien vs Predator
Sin City
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:07:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Tomb Raider 2. I fell asleep at the theater!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:21:58 PM EDT
[#35]
How about the POSTMAN............I thought I was on to a cool movie.............thought the the postmen were gonna start a Gorrilla campaign against the dudes in the red leather suits.............................THEN the duel between Costner and the other loser............what a disapointment!!!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:56:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:51:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:09:13 AM EDT
[#38]
I agree with man of the ones above, but the one that immediately comes to mind is BIG TOP PEE-WEE.  I can remember seeing it in the theaters as a kid, and serioulsy wanting my money back.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:03:53 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Tim Burton's absolutely horrible remake of Planet of the Apes easily wins for me.

Agreed on the story and all... but the ape make-up effects alone made the movie worth watching. Amazing!!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:05:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Kill Bill
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:32:51 AM EDT
[#41]
I don't know guys I honestly LOVED Starship Troopers. It's in mu top 10 list.

I never read the book though.

Now starship troopers 2 now that was a horrible movie in which I want a hour of my life back.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:16:10 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Now starship troopers 2 now that was a horrible movie in which I want a hour of my life back.

Seeing Kelly Carlson naked in that movie didn't even make it worth watching.

It was that much of a stinker. Her nude scenes were pretty short and dark.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:55:17 AM EDT
[#43]
hat I swear there has been better movies made with a webcam than that I did get my money back on that one fella's
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:12:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Blair witch project

I almost got motion sickness from the shaking camera BS.........
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:20:03 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Alien vs. Predator
The Thin Red Line
Matrix 2 & 3

luckily someone told me to skip AvP so I didn't get let down.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:28:59 PM EDT
[#46]
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Gutted and unforgiveably dumbed down.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:39:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Probably "Pearl Harbor."

I so wanted someone to do a modern film along the lines of "Tora, Tora, Tora." Obviously it didn't even come close.

And "Jurassic Park II: The Lost World" had massive potential and they screwed it up all to hell. As much fun as the original was "The Lost World" could have been even better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top