Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2006 6:24:15 PM EDT
I just moved into a new house. The closet where I put my safe has 2 of 3 walls made of rock and is under the stair-well in the center of the house (no exterior walls). The closet is on the first floor and the first floor is on a slab foundation. There is no A/C vent in the closet. When I walk into the closet I notice a cave-like smell and can tell the humidity is higher than the rest of the house. So I put a humidity gauge in the closet. Today, the main house was 41% humidity and the safe closet was 10% higher at 51%.

First of all, should I be concerned that my guns will quickly rust? Secondly, I wonder why the closet has 10% higher humidity than the rest of the house? The house is new and was completed just 2 months ago. Could the rocks and mortar in the closet be giving off moister, and possibly they will dry over time???

Note: I have used this safe for 5 years in my previous house and have never had any rust issues. I did not use decandesent bags or a heating rod. However, the safe was always in a room that had heating and A/C vents.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:33:29 PM EDT
[#1]
It takes MONTHS for a new house to dry out. Rust is temp and humidity related. 50% humidity and 50F rust is slow, 90F and 90% humidity rust is fast. In a new house you need air circulation to dry out everything. Putting guns in a stale air area [musty] is a quick way to rust up a gun.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:36:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd say yes, worry about rust.

I say this, because I was raised in AriDzona, and never had to firking worry about moisture or rust.  Then I moved to Seattle, didn't really notice that my apartment was humid or anything.  I kept a few guns in the same condition I had always stored them in in Arizona and after a couple months checked on them.  There was rust developing over much of their areas.  I was floored (mostly at myself, but also at this ridiculous wet city in which everything decomposes before your eyes).
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:47:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Who makes the best electric heater rod to put in a gun safe?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:05:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Who makes the best electric heater rod to put in a gun safe?

Being on the coast of Florida I know a wee bit about humidity, and I swear by GoldenRod®

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:14:41 AM EDT
[#5]
My safe is in the basement with a dryrod, and a large can of dessicant inside. Humidity is a constant 40% with the temp about 63 in the winter and 68 in the summer. Storing the guns in a basement safe is new to me, so I'm curious too.  I run my de humidifier, but the overall humidity stays at 40%. Humidty on main floors is usually 15-25% depending on the weather and how often the doors are open and closed.

I had kept them in a locked cabinet in my master closet off of the master bath....all that shower steam and no rust issues.

roy d...Time will tell.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:07:40 AM EDT
[#6]
A few cans of dessicant in the safe and spraying the down with Boesheild and you should be fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top