Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2007 2:04:33 PM EDT
see title.

Getting rid of the USP,  I know the velocity isn't much lower than a Glock 22, but what ammo will perform best in both? and what is best for a g27?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:05:21 PM EDT
[#1]
40 S&W
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:07:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Winchester Ranger T series (box says SXT, make sure the model # is RA9T, RA40T, or RA45T) or Speer Gold Dots. I wouldn't use anything else. Speer ammo can be found in many gun shops. The Ranger stuff can be tough to get a hold of sometimes. There's a guy in Florida that will ship some to you if you want though, or at least he did a couple of years ago when I bought from him. I can try and digup the e-mail address if you want it.

I am not sure what caliber the G27 is, but just buy either of these types of ammo in your caliber and you're good to go!
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:09:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
40 S&W

I carry Hornady TAP after seeing it penetrate numerous windshields without much deflection and mushrooming to .75"
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:11:32 PM EDT
[#4]
it's a .40  I've carried a Glock 22 (.40) for years and didn't know if the lower velocities would rate a different ammo.  I keep Ranger sxts in the 22.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:12:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Great, now i'm doing Zukhov's job....

www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=237

My G-Lock 22 is stoked with 180gr. Winchester Ranger T [RA40T] in the summer, and i switch to a .357 barrel for the winter

now go get your fuckin shine box
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:13:10 PM EDT
[#6]
double tap
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:18:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

My G-Lock 22 is stoked with 180gr. Winchester Ranger T [RA40T] in the summer, and i switch to a .357 barrel for the winter

I know what performs good all around.I'm asking this due to lower velocities of the shorter barrel.  I bullets are designed to perform at different velocities.  I didn't know if there was one that performed better at lower speeds.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:38:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I use the Gold Dot short barrel load in my Glock 27.

www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=172640&t=11082005

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I have been pretty happy with the performance of the Federal HST's
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:48:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know what performs good all around.I'm asking this due to lower velocities of the shorter barrel.  I bullets are designed to perform at different velocities.  I didn't know if there was one that performed better at lower speeds.

You are over analyzing in my opinion. Is a slightly faster burning powder going to give you that much more velocity? Why the switch from the USP to the Glock? I carry a USPc 9mm everyday and love it.

Seriously, get some Rangers or Gold Dots in the short barrel variant if you are concerned about velocity.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:49:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:01:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Gold Dot works just fine.  I've done wound ballistic workshops with ATK and I can tell you that GD is the most consistent performing ammo there is.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:52:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I like Corbon DPX personally.   The Barnes X bullet was designed for short barreled guns.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:53:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I like Corbon DPX personally.   The Barnes X bullet was designed for short barreled guns.

+1

DPX is awesome.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:48:43 PM EDT
[#15]
height=8
Quoted:

Just how much is your ass worth?

Can't argue with you about the cost of Corbon DPX, now can I? hough,
I can't argue the good price of Ranger's for a box of 50, but I have had problems with the .45 cal rounds because of the stubby bullet they use (.40 is OK).  I have also had problems with Corbon DPX in .45 cal with my Colt CCO because of its longish bullet length, so I stick with Gold-Dots in it.  But I still feel better carrying my .40 cal Glock with DPX loaded in it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:49:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just how much is your ass worth?

Can't argue with you about the cost of Corbon DPX, now can I?

<snip>  But I still feel better carrying my .40 cal Glock with DPX loaded in it.

I recently bought some .45acp DPX made by Taurus and have been meaning to give a full range report - wet pack included [i'm waiting on a chrony]

note the size of the hollowpoint cavity of these .45acp's

Two quick observations of DPX ammuniton:

1.) it has a large hollowpoint cavity which may or may not feed reliably in some pistols

2.) it's made of hard copper allowing it to [arguably] feed better than 'standard' hollowpoints - - What i mean is that the hard copper bullet will not deform on the feed ramp, or chamber roof during the actual firing sequence, whereas a standard lead/copper bullet may deform or flatten out causing a malfunction.  
Remington Golden Sabre's have a great feed profile and are made of hard brass, and like DPX ammunition, will actually 'bounce' more during the firing/chambering process making a very efficient feeding hollowpoint

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:55:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are over analyzing in my opinion. Is a slightly faster burning powder going to give you that much more velocity? Why the switch from the USP to the Glock? I carry a USPc 9mm everyday and love it.

Seriously, get some Rangers or Gold Dots in the short barrel variant if you are concerned about velocity.
About the over analyzing, I'm not, I just don't know, I don't know a lot about ballistics.

I'm switching to the Glock to standardize.  I already have a Glock22 that's been my faithful carry piece forever, I started carrying the USP when I got a great deal on it, $449 with night sights.  I already have stacks of ranger SXTs, no problem staying with that.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Gold Dot +P

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 8:03:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I carry a Glock 22 on duty, a Glock 23 off duty and a Glock 27 as backup...all .40 S&W.  I carry 155 grain Gold Dot .40 S&W in all.  Performs well on windshields and has a lot of energy...more the 230 grain .45cal.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 4:18:51 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
40 S&W

Main Entry: joke
Pronunciation: 'jOk
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin jocus; perhaps akin to Old High German gehan to say, Sanskrit yAcati he asks
1 a : something said or done to provoke laughter; especially : a brief oral narrative with a climactic humorous twist b (1) : the humorous or ridiculous element in something (2) : an instance of jesting

40 S&W would perform far better in a G27 than 9mm or 45 would.

Link Posted: 8/17/2007 4:52:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Over the years I have tested many loads in a consistent manner: a round fired through a bath towel folded so there are 4 layers to penetrate (simulating moderate to heavy clothing) into my swimming pool---straight down of course! The towel is laid on the water and the round fired before the towel soaks up very much water, like within a second. I have tested many different calibers and loads this way, all for consistency's sake. I have also chronographed many different rounds out of different barrel lengths. Obviously this used to be quite an interest of mine!

Some observations:

***Gold Dots, regardless of caliber or velocity, seem to do quite well until you fire them through the simulated clothing. Then they don't open up very well. I won't carry them for that reason. CAVEAT--> I haven't tried the newer "short barreled" rounds.

***Ditto with HydraShoks.

***CorBon's Sierra JHP's work well even after clothing, regardless of caliber or velocity.

***CorBon's DPX loads work well also, even after clothing (tried .40 and .45).

***Remington Golden Sabers are "okay", but the clothing retards expansion to a degree (but you still get SOME).

***Factory published velocities are utter BS. They are almost always a good deal less than advertised. CorBon, however, seems to be pretty close to advertised velocities.

***Don't believe the "50 fps loss of velocity per inch of barrel" rule. It's more like 50-100 fps per HALF INCH. This is regardless of manufacturer. Example: a CorBon 135gr .40 load does about 1300 fps out of a Glock 23 (4" barrel). However, it drops to a little over 1200 fps out of a Glock 27 (3.5" barrel). So that's what, maybe an 80-90 fps loss? This DOES affect bullet performance, trust me.

Oh, BTW. The Winchester 155gr .40 Ranger load penetrated the towel and about 48" of water to punch a hole through the bottom of my pool! A little too much penetration. I stopped carrying them and my wife stopped my testing! Thank God for underwater patching kits!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top