Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2007 2:04:33 PM EDT
see title.

Getting rid of the USP, I know the velocity isn't much lower than a Glock 22, but what ammo will perform best in both? and what is best for a g27?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:05:21 PM EDT
40 S&W
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:07:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/16/2007 2:10:11 PM EDT by Alien]
Winchester Ranger T series (box says SXT, make sure the model # is RA9T, RA40T, or RA45T) or Speer Gold Dots. I wouldn't use anything else. Speer ammo can be found in many gun shops. The Ranger stuff can be tough to get a hold of sometimes. There's a guy in Florida that will ship some to you if you want though, or at least he did a couple of years ago when I bought from him. I can try and digup the e-mail address if you want it.

I am not sure what caliber the G27 is, but just buy either of these types of ammo in your caliber and you're good to go!
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:09:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mjohn3006:
40 S&W

I carry Hornady TAP after seeing it penetrate numerous windshields without much deflection and mushrooming to .75"
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:11:32 PM EDT
it's a .40 I've carried a Glock 22 (.40) for years and didn't know if the lower velocities would rate a different ammo. I keep Ranger sxts in the 22.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:12:12 PM EDT
Great, now i'm doing Zukhov's job....

www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=237

My G-Lock 22 is stoked with 180gr. Winchester Ranger T [RA40T] in the summer, and i switch to a .357 barrel for the winter

now go get your fuckin shine box
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:13:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/16/2007 2:15:29 PM EDT by Dusty_C]
double tap
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:18:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Rampant_Colt:

My G-Lock 22 is stoked with 180gr. Winchester Ranger T [RA40T] in the summer, and i switch to a .357 barrel for the winter

I know what performs good all around.I'm asking this due to lower velocities of the shorter barrel. I bullets are designed to perform at different velocities. I didn't know if there was one that performed better at lower speeds.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:38:12 PM EDT
I use the Gold Dot short barrel load in my Glock 27.

www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=172640&t=11082005

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:39:56 PM EDT
I have been pretty happy with the performance of the Federal HST's
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:48:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/16/2007 3:55:52 PM EDT by Alien]

Originally Posted By Dusty_C:

I know what performs good all around.I'm asking this due to lower velocities of the shorter barrel. I bullets are designed to perform at different velocities. I didn't know if there was one that performed better at lower speeds.

You are over analyzing in my opinion. Is a slightly faster burning powder going to give you that much more velocity? Why the switch from the USP to the Glock? I carry a USPc 9mm everyday and love it.

Seriously, get some Rangers or Gold Dots in the short barrel variant if you are concerned about velocity.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:49:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/16/2007 3:49:48 PM EDT by Alien]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:01:20 PM EDT
Gold Dot works just fine. I've done wound ballistic workshops with ATK and I can tell you that GD is the most consistent performing ammo there is.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:52:29 PM EDT
I like Corbon DPX personally. The Barnes X bullet was designed for short barreled guns.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:53:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By KillRaven:
I like Corbon DPX personally. The Barnes X bullet was designed for short barreled guns.

+1

DPX is awesome.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:48:43 PM EDT
height=8

Just how much is your ass worth?

Can't argue with you about the cost of Corbon DPX, now can I? hough,
I can't argue the good price of Ranger's for a box of 50, but I have had problems with the .45 cal rounds because of the stubby bullet they use (.40 is OK). I have also had problems with Corbon DPX in .45 cal with my Colt CCO because of its longish bullet length, so I stick with Gold-Dots in it. But I still feel better carrying my .40 cal Glock with DPX loaded in it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:49:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By KillRaven:

Just how much is your ass worth?

Can't argue with you about the cost of Corbon DPX, now can I?

<snip> But I still feel better carrying my .40 cal Glock with DPX loaded in it.

I recently bought some .45acp DPX made by Taurus and have been meaning to give a full range report - wet pack included [i'm waiting on a chrony]

note the size of the hollowpoint cavity of these .45acp's

Two quick observations of DPX ammuniton:

1.) it has a large hollowpoint cavity which may or may not feed reliably in some pistols

2.) it's made of hard copper allowing it to [arguably] feed better than 'standard' hollowpoints - - What i mean is that the hard copper bullet will not deform on the feed ramp, or chamber roof during the actual firing sequence, whereas a standard lead/copper bullet may deform or flatten out causing a malfunction.
Remington Golden Sabre's have a great feed profile and are made of hard brass, and like DPX ammunition, will actually 'bounce' more during the firing/chambering process making a very efficient feeding hollowpoint

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:55:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Alien:

Originally Posted By Dusty_C:

You are over analyzing in my opinion. Is a slightly faster burning powder going to give you that much more velocity? Why the switch from the USP to the Glock? I carry a USPc 9mm everyday and love it.

Seriously, get some Rangers or Gold Dots in the short barrel variant if you are concerned about velocity.
About the over analyzing, I'm not, I just don't know, I don't know a lot about ballistics.

I'm switching to the Glock to standardize. I already have a Glock22 that's been my faithful carry piece forever, I started carrying the USP when I got a great deal on it, $449 with night sights. I already have stacks of ranger SXTs, no problem staying with that.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:56:58 PM EDT

Gold Dot +P

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 8:03:56 PM EDT
I carry a Glock 22 on duty, a Glock 23 off duty and a Glock 27 as backup...all .40 S&W. I carry 155 grain Gold Dot .40 S&W in all. Performs well on windshields and has a lot of energy...more the 230 grain .45cal.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 4:18:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By HKTackDriver:

Originally Posted By mjohn3006:
40 S&W

Main Entry: joke
Pronunciation: 'jOk
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin jocus; perhaps akin to Old High German gehan to say, Sanskrit yAcati he asks
1 a : something said or done to provoke laughter; especially : a brief oral narrative with a climactic humorous twist b (1) : the humorous or ridiculous element in something (2) : an instance of jesting

40 S&W would perform far better in a G27 than 9mm or 45 would.

Link Posted: 8/17/2007 4:52:06 AM EDT
Over the years I have tested many loads in a consistent manner: a round fired through a bath towel folded so there are 4 layers to penetrate (simulating moderate to heavy clothing) into my swimming pool---straight down of course! The towel is laid on the water and the round fired before the towel soaks up very much water, like within a second. I have tested many different calibers and loads this way, all for consistency's sake. I have also chronographed many different rounds out of different barrel lengths. Obviously this used to be quite an interest of mine!

Some observations:

***Gold Dots, regardless of caliber or velocity, seem to do quite well until you fire them through the simulated clothing. Then they don't open up very well. I won't carry them for that reason. CAVEAT--> I haven't tried the newer "short barreled" rounds.

***Ditto with HydraShoks.

***CorBon's Sierra JHP's work well even after clothing, regardless of caliber or velocity.

***CorBon's DPX loads work well also, even after clothing (tried .40 and .45).

***Remington Golden Sabers are "okay", but the clothing retards expansion to a degree (but you still get SOME).

***Factory published velocities are utter BS. They are almost always a good deal less than advertised. CorBon, however, seems to be pretty close to advertised velocities.

***Don't believe the "50 fps loss of velocity per inch of barrel" rule. It's more like 50-100 fps per HALF INCH. This is regardless of manufacturer. Example: a CorBon 135gr .40 load does about 1300 fps out of a Glock 23 (4" barrel). However, it drops to a little over 1200 fps out of a Glock 27 (3.5" barrel). So that's what, maybe an 80-90 fps loss? This DOES affect bullet performance, trust me.

Oh, BTW. The Winchester 155gr .40 Ranger load penetrated the towel and about 48" of water to punch a hole through the bottom of my pool! A little too much penetration. I stopped carrying them and my wife stopped my testing! Thank God for underwater patching kits!
Top Top