Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2001 11:15:19 AM EDT
Saw an interesting AR today, but it seemed a bit costly.  Store owner said it was an SP1.  It had the triangular shape handguards, closed flashhider, bayonet lug, 20 inch barrel, full size stock.

What is an SP1 and why is it so costly?
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 1:34:56 PM EDT
[#1]
The SP-1 is the first AR15 that was avaliable for civilian sales. They came out in the early-mid 60's and they are as close as you can get to a M16. Only a couple of parts to drop in.... I sold mine sometime in the early 80's and even then I got $800 when you could buy others new for less.
Ron
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 3:08:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Are there any distinguishing features that guarantee a true SP-1?
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 3:16:20 PM EDT
[#3]
yes, junkie 1:12 twist that wobbles 62 grainers.
Lousey large hole front pin.
Best feature is if you find one with a flat side (no forward assist). Forward assist was an add-on that was never needed.
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 3:57:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Yea , Chipster, SP or SP1 will be the first digits of the serial number of the weapon. Thats pretty distinguishing.
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 2:52:16 PM EDT
[#5]
You think you're SP-1 is expensive? I was in a local gunshop on Friday and they had an Sp-1 Carbine with round handguards and a collapsible stock for $2500.
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 3:10:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not really knowledgeable about SP1s but I always thought that the SP1s had the triangle handguards and full length bbl when in thier original configuration.

Jake
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 9:21:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an SP1 and think that it is a great battle rifle. IT JUST LOOKS COOL![:D] It shoots 55gr ok. I'm new so don't think I know what accuracy is.

SSG3000
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 9:29:29 PM EDT
[#8]
SP1s are actually the least desireable of the colt prebans. Your dealer seems to be high priced.Alot of SP1s were produced. [smoke]
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 9:37:49 PM EDT
[#9]
why are sp1's not so desrible??
i have one and am wondering why??
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 9:41:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Least desirable?
Let's see - Light weight, accurate, reliable.
Nah, we don't want that do we?
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 10:43:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I have an SP1 carbine.  About 5 1/2 pounds empty.  Gotta love it!  [:D]
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 10:59:59 PM EDT
[#12]
A small number of SP1 carbines were made with both triagular and round handgaurds.  They do not have the hole drilled fot the auto sea but will fire selectfire if you instal all M16 w/o sear.  So will any AR as long as you use a carrier that is not machined out to allow hammer to catch on firing pin.
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 10:17:09 PM EDT
[#13]
it was the first. means somthing to some people. i sold my sp1 car for $500 to buy a bushy, glad i did, never looked back. its a name thing.
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 8:00:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 10:07:49 AM EDT
[#15]
my sp1 was a trunk gun (ride in back of trunk of police car) that a good friend of mine gave  me got to love it
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 10:19:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By jim haughenhoff:
(no forward assist). Forward assist was an add-on that was never needed.
View Quote

Jim,
The forward assist can be nice at -40f and to silently charge your weapon as to not give your position away.

I have used mine for both reason numerous times.

I agree that using it to chamber a round into a dirty chamber only works well to turn your weapon into a club though.

Hunter out..
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 6:17:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/15/2001 8:45:25 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm confused: I know what an SP1 is (I have a 1979 SP1), and I've also seen carbine versons with glossy-black aluminum collapsable stocks.

The other vesion out there is the Government Carbine. A civilian rifle that's basically a collapsable stock SP1 with round CAR-15 handguards.

Anyone know more info about the Government Carbine? Is it really worth much? I saw one for $2,000 last weekend at a show.
Link Posted: 4/15/2001 9:09:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Well, as far as accuracy goes, you have to look at both sides of the picture.  Hardware wise, it is a great battle rifle for an LEO to stick in his patrol trunk and take down targets, if necessary, with ease and efficiency.  However, because of the sights (A1 if i'm not mistaken) and the 1 in 12" barrel, they are really only made for 55gr. bullets (and thus were designed for the M193).  Having non adjustable sights doesn't allow you an effective range of over 300 yards.  And just looking at the low selection of light-weight bullets that are available for that barrel twist, you're 55 grainers aren't going to go (reliably) past 300 yards anyway.
Synopsis:  Great battle rifle, as rugged as the current models, not something you'd want to snipe with or takedown prairie dog at long range.
Link Posted: 4/15/2001 9:31:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Please correct me if I am wrong ,but an ar cant fire out of battery,the firing pin is blocked until the bolt turns and locks up. So imho,you may have FA capability,but it wouldnt be a RELIABLE FA. Any opinions?
Link Posted: 4/15/2001 10:15:25 AM EDT
[#21]
M-16 Man, I agree with you, but I would like to add that the head of the cartridge does not come into  contact with the bolt face until the shoulder of the cartridge is seated in the chamber, and the extractor has clipped itself onto the rim.  The cartridge's head cannot rest on the bolt face due the the presence of the extractor.  So, unless the bolt has been rammed into battery, I don't understand how the firing pin can reach the primer.  Not to mention, if the bolt never locked shut, wouldn't ALL of the preasure escape through the breach by blowing the b/c backwards; thereby not propelling the bullet down bore, and not necessarily removing the spent case because the extractor never held onto it?  I would think this manner of operation would not even permit a semiautomatic mode of fire.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top