User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/11/2005 2:46:07 PM EDT
I over heard the following today at the local gunshop:

That MREs are illegal for civilian use.
M855 is illegal to own.
Hammer forged barrels are junk.
Subsonic ammo is more accurate than supersonic ammo.
A stock Ruger 10/22 can shoot through the same hole at 50 yards.

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:49:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Around here, you usually have to go to a gunshow to hear that level of stupid.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:51:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Last time I was in our local precision/.50 shop, some douchebag comes in and asks for "The closest thing to a sniper rifle I can get my hands on."

Frank and I looked at each other and I started laughing out loud.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:51:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Well at least you could of said hi... Next time ask for me! ill hook ya up with the Bro-deal!
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:57:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:57:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Mine does.  Maybe not all will, but many will.  Countless one-eyed squirrels will not disagree.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:58:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:00:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I use to be able to shoot off thumb tacks sticking out on top of board with mine at 100 yards. Granted, that was ~30,000 rounds early in the barrels life...
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:02:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I once shot an MRE with a subsonic round from a 10/22
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:03:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Most shops get what they pay for (min wage  part time wannabe commandos)
Our shop pays decent and the average time the help has been there is 8 years
ive been here 10
Unfotanely we seem to be the exception not the rule
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:05:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Sounds like some of my customers!!!

Least they didn't ask for...............

"WinClean ammo because it cleans your gun as you shoot!"

OR

" What kinda gun do I need?"

OR

" I need some 22 ammo for my son so when he shoots his brother it won't kill him!"

OR

"If I take my gun in the woods will it get scratched?"

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:06:47 PM EDT
[#11]
About a year ago(After the AWB Sunset)when at my local funshop I learned that asking if they had unneutered mags for my TZ-75 will get you stupid answers like"If you can't do it with ten then you need to go back to the range" and "I don't understand why you need more than the magazine that came with it"  He was new and not particularly bright.  And he had a TZ-75 on his hip to boot
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:07:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
ive been here 10

It was like that at the shop I worled at. I hired folks who were not self considered experts. Actually those with less experience were the best sales reps. they were willing to learn and learn the right stuff. I

The "gun guys" I never hired because they ALL turned out to be idiots.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:08:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:08:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Last time I was in our local precision/.50 shop, some douchebag comes in and asks for "The closest thing to a sniper rifle I can get my hands on."

Don't laugh at the poor guy.  He probably just got back from his first meeting with his wife's divorce attorney.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:09:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I use to be able to shoot off thumb tacks sticking out on top of board with mine at 100 yards. Granted, that was ~30,000 rounds early in the barrels life...

Man you should be famounes, You can shoot better than just about any one I have ever heard of. Thumb tacks at 100 yards
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:11:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't laugh at the poor guy.  He probably just got back from his first meeting with his wife's divorce attorney.

LOL
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:11:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Man you should be famounes famous, You can shoot better than just about any one I have ever heard of. Thumb tacks at 100 yards

+1 do you sell tapes or something?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:38:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL

+1
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:59:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
"Subsonic ammo is more accurate than supersonic ammo"

In pistol competition yes, they shoot barely subsonic ammo to avoid the turbulence from breaking the sound barrier.

Turbulence is only a problem when slowing down through the sound barrier.  Since the bullet is accelerated through the barrier in the barrel, their is no stability to dissrupt.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:03:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Biggest debate I've ever gotten into in a gunshop was with the owner. (Thankfully the shop tanked after a year)

I had a serious need for a Smith .41 Magnum.  This place had just opened so I went to see what they had.  Owner asks me what I was looking for, so I told him.

His reply?  "Smith and Wesson never made  a .41 Magnum.  There is no such cartridge"  I showed him a box of Sierra hollowpoints off his own reloading shelf. He stated those were special 41 Long Colt bullets for lever actions.  I then showed him the pic of the pistol on the S@W poster he had taped to the men's room door.

"That gun was never made.  They decided to make a .45 Colt instead"

I just left.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:03:51 PM EDT
[#21]
No one has ever really answered me if hammerforged is better than other ways.

I have a steyr sbs pro-tactical with a hammer forged all freefloating barrel.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:10:52 PM EDT
[#22]

M855 is illegal to own.

You JUST found that out?!?!?

Where the hell you been?!?

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:11:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I wouldn't be surprised if a stock 10/22 Target could shoot one hole groups at 50 yds.  They are a nice piece for a factory gun.  Not the WalMart level 10/22 (nor the red ones with Dale Jr. signature either)

Hammer forged is not the best way to make a barrel.  At the same time, I wouldn't call it junk.  Its just a popular mass production technique, it costs a lot of money upfront but when you're making a zillion barrels for a Remchester it gets cheaper with every one you make.  It's not cut rifling like a Lothar Walther but its not supposed to be.  

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:15:29 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

This one is true.

IF the hole is big enuf.

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:20:19 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
ive been here 10

It was like that at the shop I worled at. I hired folks who were not self considered experts. Actually those with less experience were the best sales reps. they were willing to learn and learn the right stuff. I

The "gun guys" I never hired because they ALL turned out to be idiots.

yep alot of "gun guys" only push what they like and say everything else is crap
well alot of people do not want to spend 1K or even $300 to shoot up a target at the indoor range once a month
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:20:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Stuck on stupid.

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:21:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"Subsonic ammo is more accurate than supersonic ammo"

In pistol competition yes, they shoot barely subsonic ammo to avoid the turbulence from breaking the sound barrier.

Turbulence is only a problem when slowing down through the sound barrier.  Since the bullet is accelerated through the barrier in the barrel, their is no stability to dissrupt.

What are you talking about? Check and see if the gunshop is hiring
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:22:36 PM EDT
[#28]
      My stock ruger 10/22 will shoot into one hole at 50 yd.  ( of course the hole has to be the size of a paper plate! )
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:22:52 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

M855 is illegal to own.

One out of 5 isn't bad. The Ruger can tack drive and hit the same hole at 50yds (not everytime though).

Edit: I thought about it - and I think for a stock ruger to do that would be an uncommon feat. Though I still love those little guns.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:23:22 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

if i'm not mistaken, this is true.  the faster the bullet moves, the more likely it is to be affected by variables such as wind.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:25:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Gun Shop "expert" : "A .44 S&W magnum will blow an 8" hole in a 2x4."
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:28:16 PM EDT
[#32]
subsonic 22 ammo (and probably pisto ammo too)  is inherently more accurate than slightly supersonic ammo.  The reason is the drag coefficient  (not to be confused with actual drag) rise in the transonic region of flight.  If the bullet starts out slightly supersonic (mach 1.0 to 1.2 or 1.3) it will doubtless drop through sonic speed on the way downrage.  Any slight differences in velocity are magnified by the larger drag coefficient in the transonic region.  If it starts out subsonic, the coefficient tends to be more consistent.

Drag rises with the square of the speed in an incompressible world, but we shoot in a compressible world.  The increase in drag (with speed) rises much faster with speed near the speed of sound.  Its why most airliners and business jets fly at Mach .85 to .87.  The increase in fuel burn to go .95 Mach is just not worth it.  Very supersonic bullets tend not to drop near sonic velocity within their useful range.

Somebody that know fluids better maybe can give a more lucid explanation...
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:28:17 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
      My stock ruger 10/22 will shoot into one hole at 50 yd.  ( of course the hole has to be the size of a paper plate! )

You better go and return it to your dealer... Even though mine has had plenty of ware, it can still hit a golf ball at 100 yards with fair consistency. I have never seen an inaccurate ruger 10/22.

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:32:23 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

if i'm not mistaken, this is true.  the faster the bullet moves, the more likely it is to be affected by variables such as wind.

Um... if it's moving faster it's exposed to the environment less. This shooter prefers a fast, flat-shooting accurate load to a slow, rainbowish accurate load.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:32:52 PM EDT
[#35]
MREs are banned for civilian use due to the "Saturday Night Special" mini-tabasco bottle.  

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:34:48 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
About a year ago(After the AWB Sunset)when at my local funshop I learned that asking if they had unneutered mags for my TZ-75 will get you stupid answers like"If you can't do it with ten then you need to go back to the range"

I think that guy is a member here. He weighed in on a discussion I was in yesterday.

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:41:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:57:48 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
However, The .22 bullet gets all its speed AFTER it leaves the barrel.

If you hold your thumb out an inch from the muzzle and fire it will bounce off and land at your feet because it hasnt had time to build up speed.

The official sidearm of the military is "The 45". Thats its official designation. blah blah.

Some one buy the idiot PHYSICS book, as well as a book on the 1911 (or hell, that magazine they have on it at the grocery store sometimes had some good history).
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:59:25 PM EDT
[#39]
I heard that a Glock will make it through a metal detector. I also learned that a .357 magnum will go straight through the back of a car, and put a hole in the engine block.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:05:43 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
No one has ever really answered me if hammerforged is better than other ways.

I have a steyr sbs pro-tactical with a hammer forged all freefloating barrel.

Increased density of the steel, therefor more meat to heat and more strength.......

OK, let's see what anyone else has to say........BTW, hammer and drop forging are the same.......
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:07:29 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I once shot an MRE with a subsonic round from a 10/22

I did the same thing once.  I must have been lucky because my 10/22 has a hammer forged barrel.

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
LETS SEE YOU GUYS BEAT THIS!!

Heres my latest. This is all from the same camo wearing lardass

The .22 is the most devastating and best self defense weapon there is because if fired into someones big toe it will bounce off bone and exit out the top of their head.

If you hold your thumb out an inch from the muzzle and fire it will bounce off and land at your feet because it hasnt had time to build up speed.

The official sidearm of the military is "The 45". Thats its official designation.

The fact that the 1911 is chambered for almost every modern handgun cartridge from .22 to .50 just means that everybody tries to copy "The 45".

It has never been replaced. The military has been using "The 45" since it came out in 1890 something and still is today

My buddy got his change and we left while he was telling everyone that he would never wear a seat belt because his cousin didnt and was thrown into the back seat one time in a wreck and would have been killed if he had been wearing his seat belt and had remained in the drivers seat.

Did he still have both thumbs? Did you ask for a demonstration?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:13:10 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
LETS SEE YOU GUYS BEAT THIS!!

Heres my latest. This is all from the same camo wearing lardass

The .22 is the most devastating and best self defense weapon there is because if fired into someones big toe it will bounce off bone and exit out the top of their head.

The official sidearm of the military is "The 45". Thats its official designation.

The fact that the 1911 is chambered for almost every modern handgun cartridge from .22 to .50 just means that everybody tries to copy "The 45".

It has never been replaced. The military has been using "The 45" since it came out in 1890 something and still is today

My buddy got his change and we left while he was telling everyone that he would never wear a seat belt because his cousin didnt and was thrown into the back seat one time in a wreck and would have been killed if he had been wearing his seat belt and had remained in the drivers seat.

Not so fast man, Im having trouble writing all this down.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:18:54 PM EDT
[#44]

M855 is illegal to own.

The worst thing to hear is "We don't sell those kind of guns here."

The reply should be: "FUCK YOU ELMER!"
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:22:15 PM EDT
[#45]
I used to try and set people like that strait but now I dont even bother.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#46]
I learned at the range the other day that my AR was illegal for hunting....

Because the bullets start tumbling straight out of the barrel, and when it hits...it blows too much of the meat off the carcass.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:49:19 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Gun Shop "expert" : "A .44 S&W magnum will blow an 8" hole in a 2x4."

I think I like this one best!  My wife read that over my shoulder and before I could even comment, said "What a fucking idiot"
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:07:42 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Because the bullets start tumbling straight out of the barrel, and when it hits...it blows too much of the meat off the carcass.

No fucking way.  I've got to get me one of those.  Is it a colt?  I bet you have a colt.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:13:07 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No fucking way.  I've got to get me one of those.  Is it a colt?  I bet you have a colt.

There was once this guy at a gunshop who was going to import a bunch of commie steel core 5.45. He got real excited about it, but turns out he was just blowing smoke.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:23:44 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There was once this guy at a gunshop who was going to import a bunch of commie steel core 5.45. He got real excited about it, but turns out he was just blowing smoke.

No fucking way.  I bet he got all kinds of complaints and bitching and no help.  I also bet he got contacted by shop management and asked not to talk about it anymore because it might not be kosher with the ATF and GOD knows you dont want to talk about anything that might piss them off.  I bet he got so tired of all the crap that he stoped visiting that side of the shop and didnt even pay to keep his shop membership because of the way it was handled.  I also bet he got a handful of cases for himself.

Am I right?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top