Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2004 8:06:00 PM EDT
Simunitions is a company that makes smooth-bore conversion barrels for handguns which make them fire paintball bullets with a small explosive charge.  I am trying to determine if such a weapon would be considered a class 3 weapon.  The question arises because they are smooth bore, and use explosive charge to launch, even though they are designed to be safe for training against other people.

There are two kinds of firearms under U.S. (federal) law, title
1 firearms and title 2.  Title 1 firearms are long guns (rifles and
shotguns), handguns, silencer, and firearm frames or receivers.
Most NFA weapons are also title 1 firearms.  Title 2 weapons are
NFA weapons
.  Title 2 of the 1968 Gun Control Act is the National
Firearms Act (codified at 26 U.S.C. sec. 5801 et seq.), hence NFA.
Title 1 is generally called the Gun Control Act, (18 U.S.C. sec.
921 et seq.).  NFA weapons are also sometimes called class 3
weapons, because a class 3 SOT (see below) is needed to deal in NFA
weapons.

NFA weapons are: machine guns, sound suppressors (a.k.a.
silencers), short barreled shotguns, short barreled rifles,
destructive devices and "any other weapons".   Exactly what these
weapons are is defined in the law, as well as in court cases
interpreting the law.

Any other weapons (AOW's) are a number of things; smooth bore
pistols
, any pistol with more than one grip, (but see below) gadget
type guns (cane gun, pen gun) and shoulder fired weapons with both
rifled and smooth bore barrels between 12" and 18", that must be
manually reloaded (see discussion below).

Now flare guns also have a smooth bore and use an explosive charge, but they aren't class 3.  That must mean that its not classified as a pistol.

From california Penal Code,

12001.  (a) (1) As used in this title, the terms "pistol,"
"revolver," and "firearm capable of being concealed upon the person"
shall apply to and include any device designed to be used as a
weapon
, from which is expelled a projectile by the force of any
explosion, or other form of combustion, and that has a barrel less
than 16 inches in length
.  These terms also include any device that
has a barrel 16 inches or more in length which is designed to be
interchanged with a barrel less than 16 inches in length.

Okay, so since a flare gun is not designed as a weapon, it's technically not a pistol, so it's not class 3.

It looks to me as though it is the same situation with these Simuntiion converted guns...once it is converted, it is no longer a weapon, and so it doesnt matter that its smooth bore and explosive powered.

According to simunitions designers, it is:

Most realistic training system; safe; non-lethal and non-toxic ammunition; force-on-force and man-to-man live fire scenario training without the associated danger; convenience of training any place, any time; high-quality; reliable; unique with worldwide recognition; affordable; easy to use; total training system with kits, cartridges, protective equipment and training courses.

So obviously, it is not designed as a weapon or to cause harm...so a pistol that has been converted with simunitions isn't really a pistol anymore and therefore it's not a class 3 firearm.

The thing is, I'm not a lawyer...and I don't know if any of this stuff has been covered legally before...anyone know if I'm right?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:39:13 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Simunitions is a company that makes smooth-bore conversion barrels for handguns which make them fire paintball bullets with a small explosive charge.

The Simunitions I have used do no hav an explosive charge in them, just some "paint" that expells on contact.  They use smokeless to propel the plastic bullet device, from what I know.  I know the Olympic Simunitions uppers are 9mm specially modified for safety grooved uppers.

Good questions about the others.    If they are smooth barreled, then they are likely to be a problem with NFA...

mark
[email protected]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:43:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Simunition

The above company would not let me pay for a shipment to be delivered to a Law Enforcement Agency. So obtaining Simunition maybe difficult.

This is an example of "AOW"

MT
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:56:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for the input.  I am aware tha obtaining it will be difficult...I am attempting to determine under what circumstances it is lawful to purchase or own this before I make a fool of myself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top