Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2007 11:12:01 AM EDT
Hi guys I plan on buying an AR15 sooner or later and I was wondering EXACTLY what I should do and who I should refer to (i.e. government agency,FFL,etc.) to make all this legal. Please
be specific and dont let up on the details.BTW im currently only 15 but I would like to know this for future reference.

Thanks, Micro

P.S. Also dont taunt me about not searching the forums for this first as I honestly dont know what keywords fall under this subjuct.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 11:21:52 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Hi guys I plan on buying an AR15 sooner or later and I was wondering EXACTLY what I should do and who I should refer to (i.e. government agency,FFL,etc.) to make all this legal. Please
be specific and dont let up on the details.BTW im currently only 15 but I would like to know this for future reference.

Thanks, Micro

P.S. Also dont taunt me about not searching the forums for this first as I honestly dont know what keywords fall under this subjuct.

I would imagine in TN that you would just walk up to a counter and buy it. That is how it is in Texas and TN seems to be that kind of a state also.

Of course, by the time you get old enough, Hilary Clinton will have been elected president and we will no longer own guns anyway.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 11:36:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Well Im still not clear on the FFL process. But I sure hope she doesnt get the office.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 11:46:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Dude, you aren't buying Excalibur. GO into a shop and pick what you want and then tell the guy behind the counter you want it and he'll tell you everything you need to do.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 1:41:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Micro,

The FFL does not apply to you as the buyer.  An FFL is a license that the dealer has that allows them to order, ship, and receive firearms.  It's basically the dealer's license.  As a buyer, after you turn 21, all you have to do is go to the gun store and tell them what you want.  If they need to order it for you, they can do that.  The gun store will run a background check on you to make sure you don't have any felony convictions.  Then they will sell you the firearm.  Simple as that.

Link Posted: 4/15/2007 4:41:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Micro,

Pretty much what MarineDwg9 said. Go to anywhere that sells guns. A gun store, Wal-Mart, a pawn or anywhere else they sell guns. Pick out the one you want. Tell the guy behind the counter that you want to buy it.

He will have to see your driver's license and have you fill out a federal form, #4473. It will ask such difficult questions as:

Have you ever been convicted of a felony?
Are you under indictment?
Have you ever been convicted of Domestic Violence?
Are you an illegal alien?
etc.

Then you sign the form stating that your answers are correct. The dealer then runs a background check on you, rings up the sale and you walk out with your new gun. You can pretty much walk into a store and walk out five minutes later with your new firearm .... UNLESS TN has some kind of waiting period, which I doubt.

I think this is what the new form looks like:

ATF form 4473
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 9:43:16 AM EDT
[#6]
height=8
Quoted:
You need to be 18 or older to buy a long gun from a FFL.

And with you being a minor, you need an parent/guardian to buy it for you.  I'd be very surprised if they give you any crap about a straw purchase.  Couple of months ago, I did just that for my son, and the guy behind the counter knew exactly whose gun it would be.  My son was the only one holding them.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 5:47:55 PM EDT
[#7]
mi650 paid for and signed for gun so it yours by law. If you let your son use it most of the time well that's OK because that's what Father do
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top