Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/6/2005 9:09:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/6/2005 9:14:18 PM EDT by SteyrAUG]
Kids today will NEVER know what it was like to be a kid when my father grew up.

My Dad was a kid in the 1950s in Iowa.

He had a ready supply of M-80s and he remembers his friends making what were essentially "pipe bombs" for really big firecrackers. Knowing something about gunpowder and chemisty he always left it for the "not too smart" kids to pack the newspaper into the pipe to contain the gunpowder.

But that was nothing.

In the town of Marshalltown, Iowa is the Iowa Veterans Home. Besides serving as a nursing home and retirement home for veterans it has on it's grounds a cemetary with headstones dating from the Civil War and two cannon, one from the Civil War (with the touchhole filled) and one from WWII with the firing mechanism removed.

I was fortunate as a kid to regularly visit the Veterans Home when staying at my Grandparents. We played kick the can at night near the cemetary (we were there because it was spooky not to be disrepectful) and no kid ever had as much fun playing "war" as we did on and around a genuine WWII artillery piece. But we didn't have as much fun as my Dad did when he was a kid.

About once every two months my father and his "band of buddies" would actually fire the other cannon. With a one pound bag of gunpowder, a small can of hobby paint, six feet of cannon fuse and a four foot stick they would stealthily enter the grounds early in the morning. Everyone had a job, two kids would act as lookouts, another kid would stand ready at the front of the cannon with the stick, a third would participate in the load sequence and put the bag of gunpowder with attached cannon fuse in the barrel followed by the can of paint (which was about the same diameter as the inside of the barrel) while the third kid rammed them home. The cannon fuse was lit and they ran like hell.

About the time they would reach the bottom of the hill near the trees the cannon would fire the can of hobby paint with a mighty BOOM. Cries of "Ahoy" could be heard from the open windows of the Veterans Home. The can of paint would impact on the second story wall of Seberg's Drugstore at the bottom of the hill which was owned by the parents of famous 60s actress Jean Seberg. The second floor exterior wall sported a variety of multi colored splotches year round.

If any kid today dared try such antics they would be instantly viewed as another Harris and Kleibold.

What does todays generation of kids have to look forward to?

Not even merry go round or swings here in Broward County, Florida.

Playground Safety Concerns

Seems the County has deemed such things "too dangerous."

Basically anything more than a simple slide is being removed for "safety concerns."

What a sad, sad childhood these kids will have.

Children need some challenge to overcome, some spirit of danger to face. It is why my Dad and his friends fired that damn cannon, it is why we played in the cemetary at night. It is why Indians used to send children to the wilderness for short periods of time. In fact nearly every ancient culture had early rites of passage to make their children face various personal demons.

And if they aren't provided children will seek their own adventures, such as muzzle loading and firing a vintage cannon.

I worry about what kinds of diversion children may seek who aren't even trusted on Merry Go Rounds or Swings. They will either completely be denied an important part of development or they will seek an alternate means of diversion. And with kids today who knows what that will be?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:15:32 PM EDT
After my buddies and I had some black power fun with a WWII piece outside of Kit Carson park in my sourthern Colorado hometown, they filled the barrel with cement.

Sigh.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:16:49 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:22:48 PM EDT
no kidding, if you ever get the chance to take a peek at these new play grounds its quite pathetic
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:32:34 PM EDT
Its called the pussification/sissification/feminization of America. Society is moving from a masculine orientation towards life to a feminine orientation -- Political Correctness - being careful not to offend anyone's feelings - is one symptom of this disorder. Once the process is complete, the US will no longer be a world power. We must figure out a way to stop this process, but how to do so is beyond me.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:34:18 PM EDT
at a local park they used to have a huge slide, 3 large 'forts' for kids to play in, an arch with handles so you could climb across and several swings. Now they have two swings and a bench.

I mean we wouldnt want the kids to get hurt or anything like that.

Im not sure exactly what happend or when but with all of the rich dicks living in this area im thinking some liberal pussy with influence made a complaint. "do it for the children"

What a nation of pussies this becoming.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:41:20 PM EDT
I will raise my kid in much the same way my Father allowed me to be a kid.

Yes we got hurt. Yes it was dangerous and as kids we took "undue" risks.

But we found out what we were and were not capable of and as such we better prepared to take care of ourselves. And when TRULY bad things happened later that advantage was critical to our getting out of that situation INTACT.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:43:24 PM EDT
I miss being a kid somedays
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:06:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2005 2:57:28 PM EDT by Stealth]
Kids like to do the same stuff we grew up doing , but the parents are too paranoid to let them get hurt.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:14:12 PM EDT
Its the breakup of the family. Kids don't learn masculine values if they only see dad on weekends and holidays.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:11:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2005 2:57:44 PM EDT by Stealth]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:20:19 PM EDT
raising kids on quads is better than kids on crack
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:24:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SteyrAUG:

groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QAAjY*kRUiqKf!A8HXTelD3u*OQZjiJAEdt1bEbPfMVw­TY8JQsmXGVc7VtTpESoyH8SPLu3DO8sQOjsA4Tk1VVKx3­ipHtqHkTwBXAFMARQA/K1.JPG

groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QACFAvoRjyq6gxJwOOLEpzvlKtudHpmBy2eeW0KbQjeM­uyxWhNToAsyRrEonbrQU!4jb5wHOz1IZGnAKnw2EGQvBR­3AGsYwfzoyFAgBwFxc/K2.JPG

groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QADxAvsRzCo5fkzgJ6S7GxPUMUljIOXIuOfSF8vFHDHJ­36Y!rUjkWJeEXNrGgga6Rcjla372bS0z!ex4mCQa*zY!m­5W0gOUHzozxAgBwEBs/K3.JPG

But we found out what we were and were not capable of and as such we better prepared to take care of ourselves. And when TRULY bad things happened later that advantage was critical to our getting out of that situation INTACT.

Ninjas!

sorry, first thing I thought of when I saw children with weapons
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:36:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By adair_usmc:

groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QAAjY*kRUiqKf!A8HXTelD3u*OQZjiJAEdt1bEbPfMVw­TY8JQsmXGVc7VtTpESoyH8SPLu3DO8sQOjsA4Tk1VVKx3­ipHtqHkTwBXAFMARQA/K1.JPG

groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QACFAvoRjyq6gxJwOOLEpzvlKtudHpmBy2eeW0KbQjeM­uyxWhNToAsyRrEonbrQU!4jb5wHOz1IZGnAKnw2EGQvBR­3AGsYwfzoyFAgBwFxc/K2.JPG

groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QADxAvsRzCo5fkzgJ6S7GxPUMUljIOXIuOfSF8vFHDHJ­36Y!rUjkWJeEXNrGgga6Rcjla372bS0z!ex4mCQa*zY!m­5W0gOUHzozxAgBwEBs/K3.JPG

Ninjas!

images.southparkstudios.com/media/images/801/801_image_04.jpg

Skika shika shika.....protect my balls!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:37:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By adair_usmc:

Ninjas!

images.southparkstudios.com/media/images/801/801_image_04.jpg

LMFAO. Best SP episode ever.

-Storm
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:39:41 PM EDT

Lmao whos that kicking your ass?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:01:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jkstexas2001:
Its called the pussification/sissification/feminization of America. Society is moving from a masculine orientation towards life to a feminine orientation -- Political Correctness - being careful not to offend anyone's feelings - is one symptom of this disorder. Once the process is complete, the US will no longer be a world power. We must figure out a way to stop this process, but how to do so is beyond me.

Kim duToit wrote a great bit on that very thing......here
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:57:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2005 3:01:48 AM EDT by rara1141]

+1

When I was "out-of-line" or just being a brat, my a$$ got spanked... with one of those thick leather belts with the metal gromet rings.... 1 bad word...spanking... I respect my parents for doing what they did then... because I learned early on that there ARE consequenses for your actions. Today's kids get away with too much and don't learn that sometimes you do need to be put in check.

Bottom Line: It's all about the Family & Values. There seems to be none nowadays.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:05:52 AM EDT
Well there is always x-box.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:10:35 AM EDT

A lot of this is because there is no "real" father or figure thereof in the house.
Kids are not allowed to prove themselves anymore. They are not allowed to test their limits in anything. Schools are proposing a no grade system so the dumbass kids won't get offended.
I recall Rush on is program saying that we have become a society of worrying about others feelings
being hurt. You can't go through life like that. A definite feminization going on here.
As the pendulum swings gang. Off topic, the next nasty, deadly attack on this once fine nation
will be the indicator if The US is a true gelding or not. Kill or get killed.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:56:06 AM EDT

About the time they would reach the bottom of the hill near the trees the cannon would fire the can of hobby paint with a mighty BOOM. ........The can of paint would impact on the second story wall of Seberg's Drugstore .............. The second floor exterior wall sported a variety of multi colored splotches year round.

This is acceptible how, exactly? You are talking about criminal mischief to property. Kids or not, it is not acceptible, either in the 1950s or now.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:38:59 AM EDT
Being an old fart myself, if you'd like an insight into what it was like growing up in the Fifty's, let me recommend the early works of Patrick F. McManus. In my opinion, one of our finest comic writers, especially if you spent any time hunting and fishing while growing up.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:02:36 AM EDT
Never herd about anybody being able to "shoot" the cannon before, am going to have to ask pops about it next time we talk The barrels were always filled with garbage & junk but it was fun playing on them for hours. Oh the sweet childhood memories this thread brings back.

My Grandmother lived in the Iowa Veterans Home in the 60's & 70's 1st in one of the apt bulding behind the ball field & then the hospital when she was unable to be on her own. Growing up I was all over the grounds there, eatting in the dinning room & playing on both of the cannons, not tomention watching fireworks on the 4th of July out front

As a sidebar, I was borne in the old hospital just down the road on 13th street across from Franklin Field (is that the name of the old football field where MHS played all thier games??)

Mummm shrimp and ice cold beer at the 13th street inn (think that was the name, it's been years and years since we ate there)

If we ever move back to Iowa I'll more than likely end up in the IVH as an old man & would love to sit back & hear the cannon speak again
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:04:14 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:04:51 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:06:26 AM EDT
Pussification is due to the trial lawyers. Any little splinter you kid gets is considered basis for a law suit.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:17:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2005 6:18:55 AM EDT by Red_Beard]
I'm 27 and still got away with quite a bit of fun in grades 7-12.

Got caught with pellet guns in school ... teacher just held it and told me to come get it at the endo f the day and not bring it to school again. Fireworks too. I lit off a string of blackcat fireworks in the hallway and got nothing more than a day of "in school suspension" for it.

Carried a swiss army knife in my pocket every day and no teachers had problems with it. My chemistry teacher even asked in class "does anyone have a knife" when he needed something to cut a hose during a demo. I gave him my swiss army kife, he used it and gave it back.

Got caught by cops tossing molotov coctails against a concrete bridge footing. The cop just took the rest of them and told us to leave and not do it again.

Seems like they went really nuts after columbine. Things before then weren't as good as my parents and grandparents had it, but I still got away with a fair amount of stuff that would land a kid in legal trouble or get him expelled from school now.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:04:22 AM EDT
Boys need opportunities for adventure and challenge... and if they aren't provided, they will make their own.
The Boy Scouts of America is one of the last anti-PC holdouts. A good scout troop is a terrific program for any young man. The adventure opportunities are excellent. Lots of camping and instruction in practical outdoor skills (my 15 yr. old son is going scuba diving in the FL Keys next week, and in the past year has been rock climbing, flying in a private aircraft, and obtained his Rifle Shooting merit badge, among others), the merit badge program provides lots of individual areas of achievement so the boys can select what interests them, and the values of scouting emphasize character in a way that is very unusual these days.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:18:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2005 7:20:58 AM EDT by SWO_daddy]
I've done my best to provide my closest nieces and nephews with those opportunities.

I've taken then shooting, sailing, flying, river rafting, hiking up steep trails on the Cache La Poudre river gorge, rafting down same river, etc. And I plan on providing the same opportunities to my 3 yo daughter as she grows.

She will also learn to fight and defend herself with all kinds of weapons. A victim she will not willingly be.

OTOH, two of my wife's brothers are the biggest pussies I've ever known and their wives are typical liberal nanny-statists, and their kids are either already fucked up (on Ritalin) or surely on the way there.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:29:22 AM EDT
Todays generation has only to thank yesterdays generation for the world they live in. Saying anything else is just weasling out of your responsibilities. Generationaly speaking of course.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:42:13 AM EDT

About the time they would reach the bottom of the hill near the trees the cannon would fire the can of hobby paint with a mighty BOOM. Cries of "Ahoy" could be heard from the open windows of the Veterans Home. The can of paint would impact on the second story wall of Seberg's Drugstore at the bottom of the hill which was owned by the parents of famous 60s actress Jean Seberg. The second floor exterior wall sported a variety of multi colored splotches year round.

That gave me a good chuckle... I got my kicks growing up in the 90s, but nowhere near what past generations had.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:16:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By olyarms:

Lmao whos that kicking your ass?

I'm the one in black. My freinds kept the ones where they are kicking the crap out of me.

Everyone get's a turn.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:18:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By tc556guy:

About the time they would reach the bottom of the hill near the trees the cannon would fire the can of hobby paint with a mighty BOOM. ........The can of paint would impact on the second story wall of Seberg's Drugstore .............. The second floor exterior wall sported a variety of multi colored splotches year round.

This is acceptible how, exactly? You are talking about criminal mischief to property. Kids or not, it is not acceptible, either in the 1950s or now.

You know if it was MY drugstore it certainly would NOT be acceptable. But I wouldn't make a federal out of it either. At best it is creative graffiti.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:19:50 AM EDT
There's always drugs
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:09:39 AM EDT

Pretty soon they are just going to cut off a male babies balls at birth.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:23:35 AM EDT
I had a pretty good time growing up in the 90's (I'm only 20 now). A lot of the real fun stuff with black powder and rockets stopped right after Columbine. My parents didn't want me in jail. Those two losers ruined a lot of fun for quite a few kids.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:30:23 AM EDT
I grew up in the 90s also and I recall blowing up quite a few inanimate objects.

We didn't have M80s, but we had bird bombs and a fair amount of black powder.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:35:20 AM EDT
+1 on the Boy Scouts. I had a scoutmaster that was always taking us 13 year old kids into sketchy places, clambering around huge dropoffs out in the woods. But kids need to have some unstructured opportunity for mischief, too. Plotting how to get away with something is a huge learning experience.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:37:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By tc556guy:

You know if it was MY drugstore it certainly would NOT be acceptable. But I wouldn't make a federal out of it either. At best it is creative graffiti.

I'd give the kids free soda if they managed to hit a target I set out for them with the cannon. Only to be fair.

ben
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:47:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By warlord:
Pussification is due to the trial lawyers. Any little splinter you kid gets is considered basis for a law suit.

Its not just the lawyers..
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:50:48 AM EDT
Yes! thwe pussification of America continues.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:55:46 AM EDT

Start with following Shakespeare's advice and kill all the lawyers...
OK...maybe we don't need to kill them...but quit it with the frivolous lawsuits, already!
Bottom line? Life's dangerous...but it sure beats the alternative!
Little johnny falls off a swing...momma dials 1-800-get-cash and the swings come down
Mabel spills hot coffee in her lap and dials 1-800-screw-us and gets a nice settlement, coffee price at McDonalds goes up to compensate and little warnings are printed in the styrofoam...
I could go on ad-nauseum...but it's the sad truth...
forget pussification...you should fear sueiffication
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:20:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Paul:
Lawyers have sued every bit of fun or danger from a child's life.

Imagine trying to defend the city in front of a jury of 12 Americans with a kid in a wheelchair in life because he dove head first into the hard sand from the top of an 8 foot slide. Back in the day we'd be happy that his genes were removed from the pool. Today's Americans would reward him with 20 million dollars - and from a small city that's enough to close the libary and alter the entire city for years.

I live in Riverside where occassionally the cops end up having to inflict some pain and compliance to illegals caught at the end of a chase. One or two whacks with a batton were enough to teach them enough respect for our police to stop fleeing. They all ended up millionairs and American citizens for that event.

Lawyers nearly sued the gun industry out of existance. They drove a bunch of the smaller companies under. They cost this country plenty - in jobs and in freedoms. They're leading the charge to sue any risk or danger from cradle to grave from our lives - smoking, seatbelts, helmets, guns, playgrounds ...

They are not going to stop, ever, until we kick their ass.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:25:43 AM EDT
Its truly sad what our kids cant do because of PC/Feminization/stupid laws etc:

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:28:28 AM EDT

Lawyers, ritalin and absent parents have destroyed childhood.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:31:29 AM EDT

What the Hell! Your Dad let you play outside dressed as Viet Cong?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:38:26 AM EDT

Yo Steyr!

Since you occasionally resurrect your old threads - you REALLY should bump up that thread of your niece with her "ear-to-ear grin & bear-arms" smile. As I vaguely recall, she also killed a few animals and layed them out nicely for the camera too.

That was a great thread about a GREAT kid.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:48:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PlaymoreMinds:

Mabel spills hot coffee in her lap and dials 1-800-screw-us and gets a nice settlement, coffee price at McDonalds goes up to compensate and little warnings are printed in the styrofoam...

I marveled at this too until I read a decent explanation of the mitigating factors. Afterwards I agreed that McDonald's was at serious fault in the case.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:20:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Macallan:

Yo Steyr!

Since you occasionally resurrect your old threads - you REALLY should bump up that thread of your niece with her "ear-to-ear grin & bear-arms" smile. As I vaguely recall, she also killed a few animals and layed them out nicely for the camera too.

Archieves got it...

Stand Back Or My 7 Year Old Niece Will Kick Your Ass...
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:50:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2005 3:51:24 PM EDT by JavaMan]
This little rant was posted in alt.illuminati on 10/15/97 by "Bane221" and seemed apropos:

Every month some new do-gooder is trying to save us from ourselves. We have so many laws, safety commissions, and government agencies to ensure our safety that it seems nearly impossible to have an accident. The problem is we need accidents, and lots of them.

Danger is nature's way of eliminating stupid people. Without safety, stupid people die in accidents. Since the dead don't reproduce, our species becomes progressively more intelligent (or at least less stupid). With safety, however, well-intentioned as it may be, we are devolving into half-witted mutants, because idiots, who by all rights should be dead, are spared from their rightful early graves and are free to breed even more imbeciles.

Let's do away with safety and improve our species. Take up smoking, jaywalk, drink and drive, snort cocaine, swim right after a big meal, practice unsafe sex, unbuckle your seat belt, stick something small in your ear, hold up a convenience store. Take your choice of dangerous activities and do it with gusto. Future generations will thank you.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:23:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Macallan:

Yo Steyr!

Archieves got it...

Stand Back Or My 7 Year Old Niece Will Kick Your Ass...

Thanks.

Too bad it can't be bumped.
Top Top