Powder for your groinal area.

Hat with brim.

Long sleeves.

Black rifles are easily seen.

I’m too old and fat for infantry.
PWS
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 10:40:32 AM EST
[#2]
You can look and feel like a flawless range hero, but at a competition with a timer and a crowd watching things get more difficult and far less smooth.

I just shot another USPSA match yesterday. I run my carry/combat gun, a Glock 19 with a TLR-7 and Steiner MPS out of a Safariland ALS. Draws can get fumbly, dots can be out of you line of sight, reloads can get bumpy and your brain can get fuzzy when that timer beeps.

It was still fun. I finished 8th overall and won the Carry Optics division.

Oh, and actually shooting your gun can put a nasty black frosting on the flashlight lens that doesn’t wipe off easily. Be sure to put a thin layer of chapstick on it to make cleanup easier.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 10:40:57 AM EST
[Last Edit: JRBL1A1] [#3]
Great topic. I always learn a few things in these kinds of threads.

1. Comfort is king. If it hurts to wear it you won't use it. Boots, chest rigs, holsters, etc. Break them in and learn them.

2. Sharp edges hurt and scratch. Think about the exposed metal corners such as metal mags in chest rigs.

3. Backpacks have a lot of room but be mindful of how you pack, and wrap loose items in clothes.

4. Aside from NVG, you don't have to spend major money for good equipment. I use a "free" backpack from the local national guard recruiter as my minuteman pack (it is compfy, well made, big straps, etc.)

5. Combat wise- Do not put mag pouches on the butt of your rifle! Keep that weight off your arms and on your torso. Use a sling as much as possible. Optics give you an advantage be it dot w/o X or reticle and variable X.

6. Ounces equals pounds. Be very mindful of weight. Be mindful of the mission. No need for winter gear in summer, or 500 rounds of ammo (especially in semi auto guns!), 1000 calorie meals, 3 gallons of water, etc.      

Link Posted: 11/20/2023 10:42:02 AM EST
[#4]
If you HAVE to walk a great distance, all at once, at a brisk pace, remove underwear and slather your friction areas with vaseline prior to doing so.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 10:43:58 AM EST
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JRBL1A1:
Great topic. I always learn a few things in these kinds of threads.

1. Comfort is king. If it hurts to wear it you won't use it.
View Quote

I had gotten out of the habit of wearing my FLC chest rig for just checking the perimeter fence at the ranch.  The other day we did some training at the range with our AR's and I wore it with full magazine complement. After an hour and a half I wanted to take it off.  My back was fatiguing rapidly from the weight.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 10:44:52 AM EST
[#6]
Originally Posted By PraetorEvocatus:
If you HAVE to walk a great distance, all at once, at a brisk pace, remove underwear and slather your friction areas with vaseline prior to doing so.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 10:46:54 AM EST
[Last Edit: JAD762] [#7]
Red dots suck when you have to pick targets out of a woodline, but LPVOs are king.

You're not just going to throw on a 60 pound pack and go, rucking cross country is twice as hard as rucking down a sidewalk.

Shooting in the dark sucks so have multiple redundancies.

Athletic compression shorts are lifesavers.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 10:47:19 AM EST
[#8]
Carbon fiber trekking poles
Sierra Designs zipperless Sri-down sleeping bag
Big Agnes Fussel
Insulated ground pad
Sil-nylon tarp
Gregory Baltoro 85L pack
Silva Ranger compass

Are all items I will have with me when backpacking.  

I will pack my G20 (if I’m in bear country) or G45 in a Hill People Gear chest pouch.  No spare mag, just what’s in the gun.  

Fritos are not only very calorie dense and good for backpacking, they are also an excellent fire starter.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 10:48:36 AM EST
[#9]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DocApocalypse:
Originally Posted By PraetorEvocatus:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/271112/strangelyarousing_jpg-3033939.JPG

I mean, I guess you can use a partner to help each other out.  I think it's legal now.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 10:51:15 AM EST
[#10]
Always have New Skin on hand for blisters.

Snacks are a must.

I don't not like bungee/shock cord to cover my magazines, it gets in the way when I'm operating.

Haribo gummies and root beer barrel candy are the only acceptable snacks.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 10:53:42 AM EST
[#11]
Originally Posted By AeroEngineer:

These are all true.  Particularly the trekking poles.
View Quote

I used trekking pole to hike Utah after a meniscus tear. They are great when your knees feel normal.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 10:54:03 AM EST
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 10:55:38 AM EST
[#13]
more votes for trekking poles and redundancy in general.  

cotton kills unless you're fighting fire, then you only wear cotton.  

wool socks for errybody.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 10:57:15 AM EST
[#14]
To remember to put my ears on. Also, glasses are important. I have a set that has a deep scratch right where my pupil is from a spicy ejection.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 10:58:43 AM EST
[#15]
I learned backpacking anywhere is an uncomfortable pain in the ass at my age.

I also learned that you really should have a couple of small shooting bags with lightweight fill.  Good shooting bags make any rock, windowsill, car door, tree branch, or anything else into a far better platform than it is without a bag.  Bipods are good but you will greatly benefit from a rear bag.  

I also learned at a few matches that you might fare better against an inexperienced shooter with a semiautomatic rifle than an experienced shooter with a bolt action.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 11:02:24 AM EST
[#16]
Single point slings will hit you in the junk. A properly adjusted two point gives you almost as much freedom and more control.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 11:02:49 AM EST
[#17]
Good gear is worth the price of admission. I did a night vision carbine course with steel plates in an AR500 carrier. I immediately went home and bought mid tier ceramic plates and an entirely new Crye/ Unobtanium, Axl, carrier setup that is delightful to wear. I cut 12-14# off of my previous carrier setup. Also, wearing a helmet (even a good one) with NOD's for hours at a time will strain your neck. An overly heavy carrier/ plates will make things even worse.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 11:08:51 AM EST
[#18]
That cheap gear generally fails when put to real use. Knives/blades/tools that fall apart (sometimes dangerously so) folding gear that collapses, rain gear and cold weather gear that really isn’t, etc. Fasteners and stitching that fails.

The notable exception being PSA. I am amazed how well PSA firearms and parts hold up.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 11:37:09 AM EST
[#19]
People hate on the one-point slings, but for vehicle-based operations they are great! Easier to get in/out and keep it muzzle down without flagging anyone else, all while still wearing the sling. With a two point, it's better to just unsling/resling every-time you get in and out.

Pressure pads suck for long term field use. Good for short term use if you're some high speed guy or for a home defense weapon where you can keep them in good condition and replace as necessary. But otherwise they're not going to hold up long term.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 11:39:07 AM EST
[#20]
Open-pronged muzzle devices will 100% hang up on brush and it’s a serious issue

If you are rucking/patrolling left handed, an AR FA and case deflector hump will pound a hole in your chest if not wearing armor/chest-rig

Repeatedly dropping to prone will fill your USGI mag with dirt through the drain hole

Training with blanks will quickly blow all lube out of your gas-gun.

In a fight (simulated) you will notice your optic’s eye box is not as generous as you previously thought

Link Posted: 11/20/2023 11:39:56 AM EST
[Last Edit: bikedamon] [#21]
Originally Posted By treasurediver:
You can look and feel like a flawless range hero, but at a competition with a timer and a crowd watching things get more difficult and far less smooth.

I just shot another USPSA match yesterday. I run my carry/combat gun, a Glock 19 with a TLR-7 and Steiner MPS out of a Safariland ALS. Draws can get fumbly, dots can be out of you line of sight, reloads can get bumpy and your brain can get fuzzy when that timer beeps.

It was still fun. I finished 8th overall and won the Carry Optics division.

Oh, and actually shooting your gun can put a nasty black frosting on the flashlight lens that doesn’t wipe off easily. Be sure to put a thin layer of chapstick on it to make cleanup easier.
View Quote

A pencil eraser can work well getting the carbon off your flashlight lens if the buildup isn't too thick.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 11:46:52 AM EST
[#22]
Slings are a requirement for long guns carried in the field. Metal sling hardware makes noise.

One Camelbak is not enough water in southern Arizona summers.

Canteen cup/stove systems are really nice to have for minimal added size/weight.

Handheld radios on the belt are a major performance compromise. Offhand shoulder is the most efficient while not impeding shouldering a rifle.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 11:47:03 AM EST
[#23]
A dump pouch is the life-changing accessory that you never knew you needed.  Mandatory in competitions....

Salomon Speedcross shoes are amazing

I'd rather run a hot, muddy course in dress khakis than a pair of BDU pants.

NODS are cool, but thermal is a different level

keep the front of your body slick for going prone

Peltors w/ gel pads are worth it

an AR that's "tuned" to run clean in the heat will choke when cold and dirty

Link Posted: 11/20/2023 11:50:01 AM EST
[#24]
Originally Posted By highstepper:
Gloves.

Wool socks.

Powder for your groinal area.

Hat with brim.

Long sleeves.

Black rifles are easily seen.

I’m too old and fat for infantry.
View Quote

Yes to all of the above (except groin powder, never had that problem. Foot powder is great though).

I like the cheap cut-resistant work gloves every place I've worked provides. Nice balance of dexterity and durability.

The desert is sharp and wants to poke you. Plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 11:53:29 AM EST
[#25]
Blue loctite
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 11:54:26 AM EST
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 11:56:25 AM EST
[#27]
Gas tubes can glow either orange hot or white hot depending on temperature
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 11:56:56 AM EST
[#28]
Need to work on reloads and malf drills.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 11:57:17 AM EST
[#29]
Originally Posted By Primetime_1:
A dump pouch is the life-changing accessory that you never knew you needed.  Mandatory in competitions....

Salomon Speedcross shoes are amazing

I'd rather run a hot, muddy course in dress khakis than a pair of BDU pants.

NODS are cool, but thermal is a different level

keep the front of your body slick for going prone

Peltors w/ gel pads are worth it

an AR that's "tuned" to run clean in the heat will choke when cold and dirty

View Quote

Tell me more @Primetime_1
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 11:59:29 AM EST
[#30]
Bought a Gunslinger II pack to build a medium / long distance setup that I could carry .    Got everything I thought I would need in the pack including rifle and tried it .   Can't carry that much weight so I need to do something different .
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 12:02:27 PM EST
[#31]
Originally Posted By Morlawn66:
Bought a Gunslinger II pack to build a medium / long distance setup that I could carry .    Got everything I thought I would need in the pack including rifle and tried it .   Can't carry that much weight so I need to do something different .
View Quote

Exactly what I bought as well.

Great pack.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 12:03:58 PM EST
[#32]
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:
I've done a small amount of rucking. Had a generic pack built for "normal" people where the pack went past my neck.  Decide to do a hike with NODs.  Spent the entire hike either straining my neck or looking down at the trail because the pack pushed against it.

New shorter pack was ordered the next day.

Also, supressor covers are NOT designed for semiautomatic fire.

They WILL catch on fire. You WILL look badass but ridiculous at the same time so don't bother.

What have y'all learned?
View Quote

for real, look at the eberlestock lo-drag  

if you think having a pack push on your helmet while walking is bad, wait til you go prone.    lo-drag is the solution
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 12:04:37 PM EST
[#33]
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:

Tell me more @Primetime_1
View Quote

@Notcalifornialegal

They're lightweight, have amazing traction in the mud and on wet grass, clean easily, are very supportive, have no real laces to come untied or snag, and the toe cleat is AWESOME for climbing over things.

Ive run the 5s and 6s and they're my favorite shoes for dirt, grass and mud
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 12:07:13 PM EST
[#34]
Originally Posted By jollyg83:
Running in gear chafes my nipples.
View Quote

Bring petroleum jelly. Got it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 12:07:15 PM EST
[#35]
Red dot pistols suck in a heavy downpour.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 12:09:57 PM EST
[#36]
Originally Posted By TechOps:
View Quote

Any optic-equipped weapon sucks in a heavy downpour.   I had an ACOG fog up too badly to use in an early morning hike with really humid conditions/fresh rain.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 12:13:11 PM EST
[#37]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:

Not necessarily true at all. The most valuable thing in the field is traditionally Copenhagen.  

I once purchased rights to a Marine’s 17-year-old sister for two cans of Copenhagen. She complained at first when I stopped by the house, but he explained that he was really jonesing for a dip and there was nothing else he could do.

I kept her for two years and traded her for a $20 bill, a bottle of Jim Beam and a tank of gas. It was the 14th of the month.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
Originally Posted By chase45:
By weight skittles are worth more in the field than smokes

Not necessarily true at all. The most valuable thing in the field is traditionally Copenhagen.  

I once purchased rights to a Marine’s 17-year-old sister for two cans of Copenhagen. She complained at first when I stopped by the house, but he explained that he was really jonesing for a dip and there was nothing else he could do.

I kept her for two years and traded her for a $20 bill, a bottle of Jim Beam and a tank of gas. It was the 14th of the month.

Joker? Is that you?
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 12:17:00 PM EST
[#38]
If you don't bring it you won't have it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 12:17:52 PM EST
[#39]

Any optic-equipped weapon sucks in a heavy downpour.   I had an ACOG fog up too badly to use in an early morning hike with really humid conditions/fresh rain.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TechOps:

I've done 4 cola warriors now.

Heartland it was a downpour and I still hit all my targets because fortunately trees don't exist in Nebraska.

East was a downpour with basically no light because of all the trees and it was the first one where I didn't clear all the targets.

Couldn't see dick or shit.

Link Posted: 11/20/2023 12:20:31 PM EST
[#40]
Originally Posted By bikedamon:

A pencil eraser can work well getting the carbon off your flashlight lens if the buildup isn't too thick.
View Quote

Good to know.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 12:24:31 PM EST
[#41]
Pencil barrels are the way.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 12:26:02 PM EST
[#42]
I learned that weight is everything, and most people (even "lightweight" backpackers) dramatically overpack.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 12:26:54 PM EST
[#43]
-sheetrock walls don't do diddly to slow down pistol or rifle bullets.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 12:28:05 PM EST
[#44]
I remember a video where Clint Smith says, "You think you want all that shit on your rifle, until you have to run uphill with it."
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 12:28:28 PM EST
[#45]
In sub-freezing temperatures, don't exhale as you bring a scoped rifle up to your shoulder.  The lens will fog and take what seems like minutes to clear.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 12:36:16 PM EST
[#46]
Practical advice would be that malfunctions happen and make sure that you can do a tap-rack/immediate action automatically without delay.  You have to do a tap-rack significantly less often if you insure the magazine is properly seated and press check your firearm after loading.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 12:45:46 PM EST
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#47]
One point slings are the way to go when night hog hunting with shooting sticks.  But are useless in all other settings

Stuff breaks

Hunting and field-use handling with vehicle components are far harder on your gear than actually firing it.  By a lot.

Lasers are gimmicky and stupid - except at night, where they can be remarkably effective and own.

Stuff breaks again.   Bring spares.  

Lightweight is your friend.  Overglassing and heavy kit sucks to spend three days afoot stalk hunting.

Iron sights dissappear at Dawn and Dusk.  Dawn and Dusk is when things happen.

Scopes with illuminated reticle are silly - except at Dawn amd Dusk.  And did I mention Dawn and Dusk is when things happen?

Suppressed fire doesn't do shit at preventing animals from scattering once it's on.

2.5x of magnification makes a WORLD of difference finding, identifying, amd shooting at Stuff. Especially at Dawn and Dusk.

Aluminum hadndguards are very tacticool, they also will suck the heat right out of your hand on a cool night to the point of being almost unusable.  They'll also start burning your hand after just a few mag dumps.  Have gloves.  No matter what. Always have some form of glove.  Even if it's warm.

At your first opportunity, should you ever drive to near location, you should take a knife and destroy the PANIC mode button on your truck keys (Good God that sucked)

Extended charging handles snag things.

20 round magazines are woefully under-appreciated.  They make the system sleeker amd lighter, and satisfy the needed round count 5 times over.  Keep the thirty in your pocket

Your kit, systems, and controls should be complete usable and accessible in the dark.  Rummaging through your bag or trying to adjust a parallax dial, sucks on location in the dark.  

Going cheap on night vision, is an excellent way to ruin a rare night hunt opportunity.  But think of all the money you saved.  You will very much be thinking of all the money you saved on the drive home.  

Whatever battery system you rely on - will fail.  Have a spare.  Always.

The most expensive part of shooting sports is the transportation&housing and even more expensive : Time.  

Know your ballistics, both near and far.  That 8 yard shot is not going to impact where the sight is.  While you never know when that 300 yard shot on your 50 yard intended event. Will come up.

They do make hearing protection - you don't actually need a supressor and are making trade-offs to have it.  They also will scald the shit out of anything they touch after just a few rounds.  If you are in a hunting party where 3 guys have supressors, amd 1 guy does not, 3 guys wasted a lot of money and bulk.

Shooting while moving is hard for anything other than very close shots.

Recoil behavior and trigger priorities at the gun range, are very different under standing field conditions.  The recoil impulse of an AUG at the bench is jumpy, but afoot it's actually quite smooth.

Full Auto is fun, but aside from suppressive value (which I don't actually do), controlling it to hit stuff is a close range game.  

Screws come loose.  The cheaper the component, the cheaper the screws, which stretch, and they come loose.  When buying stuff - pay attention to the screws.

A hard run gun, will have things come lose.  If you haven't run 60 rounds through your AR in under 3 minutes and heated up your muzzle device, you dont know if its going to come.lose.  or your barrel nut.  Had both happen.  

Castle nuts and pistol grips come lose all the time.  Neither is critical, but blue loctite is your friend.

Sling QD mounts can pop out.  

Never do a trip with just one gun, if you have the discretion.  It's easy to throw a another rifle into the car.

Link Posted: 11/20/2023 12:46:05 PM EST
[#48]
I remember a video where Clint Smith says, "You think you want all that shit on your rifle, until you have to run uphill with it."
View Quote

I was told by ARF in no uncertain terms that being unwilling to cart a 20lb rifle everywhere means you've got a strength issue and need to lift, bro.

Shooting at night outdoors regularly at longer distances on difficult targets was my big learning experience, both for white light and night vision. There's a lot of "knowledge" out there that starts failing miserably once it's a cloudy night and/or distances exceed 50yds.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 12:49:30 PM EST
[Last Edit: Obrez] [#49]
Super highspeed extended charging handles get caught on everything when the rifle is slung.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 12:52:21 PM EST
[#50]
AR-10s with stainless target barrels are accurate but get really heavy if you have to walk thru a swamp.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top