Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:35:56 AM EDT
[#2]
It's all marketing. Get a pair of last years New Balance on sale
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:37:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Grumple:
First, they're ugly as fuck.

Second, I'll pay the same price for my Nike Pegasus that aren't ugly as fuck.
View Quote
The last couple pair of Nikes I had blew out in 3 months of running, they don't make them in wides and Nike leads the way on woke bullshit so I avoid giving them money.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:45:56 AM EDT
[#4]
The most comfortable (to walk in, I don't run) shoes I've had were from Allbirds. Not as goofy looking as Hokas, but very comfortable.

The disappointment I had was that the outsole wore smooth after less than a year. That was from mostly walking on sidewalk type concrete. That shit is like sandpaper, though, and I don't think anything would hold up all that well to it.

I had a pair of Vans that I had just gotten when I went down to Brazil to visit with my fiancée for 10 weeks and I do not know why I thought they were comfortable when I got them, because they were really squishing the shit out of my toes, so I bought a pair of New Balance sneakers at a local mall and wore those almost all the time while I was down there.

Lately I've been wearing a couple pairs of Jim Green African Rangers. They're quite roomy and give you a lot of space to play with different insoles. I've tried a few different Dr Scholls insoles and landed on the walk-on-air types that feel pretty good.

For more formal wear, I have a pair of Thursday Captains in a brown suede and a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers in the Copper Rough & Tough. I love how they both look, but they are more firm and I wouldn't want to walk a whole lot in them.

I'm not too sure about spending a lot of money on sneakers if the soles are going to wear out from walking on concrete... $100 is about the limit if I think they won't last longer than a year. I'd gladly pay $150-200 for a pair that was very comfortable AND would last a few years, but I don't think that exists.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:51:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Old people wear them
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:24:27 AM EDT
[#6]
They are like walking on a cloud.

With a ton of options, models and styles.

They actually have wide and very wide shoes, which is not that common.

I really like my pair of HOKAs and will buy them again.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:26:40 AM EDT
[#7]
My knees hurt with asic, Nike, etc.

I tried Hoka and my knees didn't hurt anymore.

I'm not a heavy runner.  6-15 miles per week max
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:28:05 AM EDT
[#8]
A very comfortable shoe that are kinda ugly.

I bought pair of Kaha 2s for trails and outdoor use.  Good thing nobody but critters around, cause they're ugly as fuck.  They're a huge looking shoe.  But they are waterproof yet still breath.  The foam is more firm than their running shoes so I don't have any issues with uneven terrain.

But fuck are they ugly.  Like orthotic shoes.  My girlfriend calls them my "magic shoes" (F Gump reference)
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:28:27 AM EDT
[#9]
They work and make a difference for my hips when I run but I sure feel like a clown when I look down at them.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:51:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a niece who is a rep for HOKA and she hooked up My wife and the wife's mother and sister up with a pair for free. All three of them say they are the best shoe's they have. I told my wife to tell our niece to not forget about her uncles.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:14:04 AM EDT
[#11]
The first generation just fit my wide feet.

Went to replace them and the new ones were narrower.

It shocks me how many companies only make shoes that won't fit a substantial fraction of the potential market.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:18:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Clarinath:

View Quote

lol, they didn't when I went for my second pair  a few years ago.

Guess I need to take them off the 'fuck them' list.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:35:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Do Hokas generally run true to size?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:40:52 AM EDT
[#14]
If your on your feet/walk a lot they can make a good difference.

For all the clown shoe references they do make neutral colors. All black, black/white .

I have a pair of Clifton 9’s and they are comfortable and have held up well.

I also like and wear Brooks Ghost.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:46:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2sledgehammers] [#15]
Originally Posted By 9divdoc:
View Quote

For me they did. Size I wear in Brooks is the same I wear in Hoka’s.

Edit- HOKA do take a little getting use too, due to the increased sole padding and shape.
The Clifton 9 is not as exaggerated in shape and padding.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:26:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cajunkraut] [#16]
Originally Posted By nutter:
Old people wear them
View Quote

Don’t forget serious runners, people who’ve spent a lifetime training to their (now) physical limits, and well-educated medical professionals.

Stick with New Balance - Instagram says they’re not just for backyard-grilling dad bods anymore.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:35:10 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Yes.  For the ones I have.   I wear 11.5 in Brooks, Salomon, Saucony.  All my Hoka are 11.5 as well.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:42:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By 17SS:
Altra Olympus 5
View Quote
Preach!

I used to wear Hokas but their last changed and I couldn't wear the same model as I used to. Switched to Altras with the wide toe box and love them.

My son who has foot problems and I both wear the Olympus. His podiatrist grabbed one of them the last time we were in and wrote down the model. He was going to recommend them to his patients.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:47:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By kzin:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kzin:
Originally Posted By Clarinath:

Maybe they didn't have them where you went, but they have tons of wide options.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:52:20 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't consider myself a runner, but I have run 3 marathons in the past and run 3 or so times a week now. Over the last few years I've run a lot less, but this year I upped my mileage. I'm a weightlifter. I'm 5'9" 205 and pretty solid, so some cushioning is nice for anything over about a mile.
I tried on multiple models of Hokas- they have wide options, thick sole options, thinner sole speedwork options, trail and road options. I ended up with the road/trail hybrid. Best running shoes I've bought in years. You can't just go try on one model and decide they suck. Claiming it's all marketing without actually putting some miles on them is silly too.
They're great shoes, one of a few brands you should be looking at if you want a decent running shoe.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:59:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: joe_sun] [#21]
I'll add in a couple more things.

I have a friend that's a construction worker, wears boots all day and his feet are all jacked up. All he'll wear at home is HOKA, said it's the only shoe that he's tried that gets rid of the pain.

My son runs track and cross country, he prefers NB but many kids on his team wear HOKAs.

They don't have to look terrible, these are the ones I have

I always knew I had something wonky with my feet but now I know I have supination (Supination of the foot occurs when your weight rolls onto the outer edges of your feet. Another name for supination is underpronation).and, Joe Biden jokes aside, will only buy stability shoes from now on. I also have a pair of the ASIC Gel-Kayano which I freaking LOVE and they are my workout shoes now. The toebox isn't as generous but they aren't bad.

Stability shoes aren't to keep you from falling they are to keep your foot stable so you walk normally.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:59:41 AM EDT
[#22]
I feel like they started out as old people shoes, but now I see the broccoli haired youth white kids wearing them.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:17:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By smokinghole:

As a person that wears zero drop minimalist shoes, they look like hell. I believe our feet were designed to cushion our body and that much foam makes my feet, legs and back ache just from looking at them.  Plus they make the wearers look like they should have a helmet and mouthguard during all hours awake.

ETA: holy shit, they’re expensive! Marketing costs must be high because that shoe is injection molded foam and glue made in some chinese shoe city.
View Quote

My wife was in that camp for years.  Then she started running w/ my youngest daughter and started having knee pain.  She bought a pair of Hokas on recommendation of my son who is a great runner and she said it made a night and day difference.

From my understanding, their different models of running shoes address different feet types, so do your research and shop accordingly.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:23:26 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm wearing HOKA Clifton 9's right now and just ordered another pair this AM.

I work on my feet and they keep my knees and back from killing me, so that's good.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:16:33 PM EDT
[#25]
I got 263 miles with a pair of neutral, middle cushion, 4mm drop Hoka shoes. The extra cushioning felt great at first but I think they were done in the early 200s. My feet were hurting.

Switched to Altra zero drop model with max cushion. Feet were relieved and currently at 63 miles. But the laces are the worst I've ever had, they are too stiff and don't stay tied. Could not do a runners knot because the design of the shoe used more length so the laces are too short for the shoe. Not very well thought out. Changed laces to fix that.

Not sure what's next.  I found that after switching to a maximum cushion model for most runs my feet felt so much better that on walking days I could wear an old pair of low cushion shoes and they feel great again. Will try running again with those to see what happens. I used to be able to rotate through low to max cushioning and zero to high drop on a regular basis and would like to do that again. Sticking only to max cushioning would be bad for the joints long term, so hoping my feet have improved.

I left out model names because I wear neutral shoes and newbies reading this might not. The wrong design for your feet might feel good in the store but damage your joints long term, so get fitted based your foot/arch/gait type, then choose appropriate models to experiment with.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 4:29:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Wife has tried them 2x, only to have to return them to REI 2x due to failures with soles. Cute concept, don't hold up to light avg use.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 4:37:05 PM EDT
[#27]
They are good.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:24:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Older son and his wife are pharmacists, so on their feet a lot, and they both wear them. My son played football from grade school through college, so his ankles and knees are so-so, and he loves his Hokas.

I have heel spurs, so my feet hurt sometimes if I walk a lot on hard surfaces. Based on his recommendation, I found a pair at an outlet store and bought them. I got a size larger than I normally wear, but they fit good and feel good. I wear mine whenever I'll be walking on a lot of concrete. They are definitely good for that, and my feet don't hurt later.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:39:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scrum] [#29]
Hoka Cliftons fit my screwed up feet well so I like them a lot.  A bit too much heel compression/give for running for my taste but I can live with it (kind of forces me to fix my stride anyway as I notice heel strikes right away) and for light stuff, trail hikes, and even just walking around they are near perfect.  I have tried a lot of running shoes over the years and never had as good an overall fit (especially my heels).  Mine were $70 (killer deal on Zappos/Amazon Warehouse so bought the last 2 pair in my size).

ETA:  Per the above posts, Hokas do wear out more quickly than Brooks, Suacony, and other high end running shoes for actual runners.  A LOT of people just wear them for the brand name.  My son has switched despite the great fit because of how fast they tank with larger frame guys who run a lot (several other Hoka guys in his unit have switched for same reason).  I may switch once my next pair is done - I might not too, the fit is too good.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:48:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Silas:
I just left a birthday party/ family reunion, and two cousins were wearing them. Both of them went on, and on about how awesome they are. I had never heard of HOKA before tonight.

What are y’all’s thoughts about HOKA shoes?
View Quote

They are biomechanical garbage. Your body evolved to absorb the shock of running through your feet and calves.

Take you shoes off and run in your grassy front yard. You will land on the balls of your feet and then transfer that shock through your feet and up through your Achilles tendon and your calves.

That is how humans should run. The shoe companies hock junk.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By 13FoxVet:
How do they compare to On Cloud?
View Quote

Both are junk.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:50:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:

Both are junk.
View Quote

What do you recommend then?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:50:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By UndrGrndPrdcts:
I was recently at a hospital and the majority of the nurses were wearing them.
View Quote

Walking vs running.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:03:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#34]
Edit: Not worth responding to stupid shit.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:08:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Hokas are excellent shoes if your goal is to never again feel the loving embrace of a woman.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:12:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By scrum:

What do you recommend then?
View Quote

These

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:21:39 PM EDT
[#37]
I've Ben attending the seniors Sunday school class at church  and noticed 10 out of 30 old folks are wearing those shoes  I thought they  elderly beetus  shoes or something
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:05:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By G_1759:
I was a Brooks Beast, Asics or New Balance. Looked at the HOKA and ended up buying a couple pairs of Altra’s. The zero drop/offset and the toe shape works best for me.
View Quote

I second the Altra’s. Very comfortable.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:47:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Wait, what?  That's a low cushion shoe, not barefoot/minimalist.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:49:11 PM EDT
[#40]
I walk a lot at  work. They work great
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:55:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By bigborehound:

The Bondi line are some of the widest sneakers available.
My other pair are Asics. Hokas have different styles for different activities.
Have your feet measured at a running shoe store and have them examine your gait to get the best style and fit for your feet.
They were no more at the running shoes store than at Dick's or anywhere else that sells them.
I think Altra has the widest sneakers available, from what I was told at the store when I initially visited, but they didn't have any in stock.
Even the Hokas can vary from one pair of the same size and style. Owner of store said he bought 2 of the same size, style and the one pair fit terrible compared to the other.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bigborehound:
Originally Posted By Lug1:
Not for everybody.  A lot of people I know and trust love them. They kill me.  They are not made for my Fred Flintstones.  

None of them are wide enough. At the end of the day that narrowness in the foot bed with all that cushion just makes my feet scream.

If they do work for you I hear they are great.

The Bondi line are some of the widest sneakers available.
My other pair are Asics. Hokas have different styles for different activities.
Have your feet measured at a running shoe store and have them examine your gait to get the best style and fit for your feet.
They were no more at the running shoes store than at Dick's or anywhere else that sells them.
I think Altra has the widest sneakers available, from what I was told at the store when I initially visited, but they didn't have any in stock.
Even the Hokas can vary from one pair of the same size and style. Owner of store said he bought 2 of the same size, style and the one pair fit terrible compared to the other.
No they aren't, I had a pair.  I would much rather have some 4E Asics.  I had two pair of Hokas  Bondi and another one.  I am sure they work great for a lot of people, they do not fit my feet.  Multiple retailers have told me while the Bondis are wide for Hokas they are not some of the widest sneakers available.  The knock on Hoka is they are narrow.  I have Fred Flinstone feet, they don't work for me.  

You assume a lot, I have had my feet measured, gait "examined" etc (been to a podiatrist a few times) at a couple different high end running shoe stores.  I am not green at this at all.  I am a guy with wide big feet.  Hokas suck for me, glad they work for you.  No hate here.

@bigborehound

You are mostly right about Altra, they are flat though, no arch in them.  But a wide toe box.  My daughter likes Altra better than Hokas.  She loves Hokas.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:21:58 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

I'd say so.  Love that they offer a 12.5, fit me perfectly.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:32:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By thorm001:
They are kind of ugly, but they have excellent cushioning. Check out the Bondi or Clifton style

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/160746/IMG_1160_jpeg-3214548.JPG
View Quote

They like they are supposed to make you look taller.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:05:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: merdenom5] [#44]
I'm on my second pair of Altra Lone peaks.  I also wore out a pair of La Sportiva Akashas that I liked a lot.  Lems Primals are nice but wear out too quick.  I do a lot of trail, street, and treadmill running.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:37:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By TangoFoxtrot:
Wait, what?  That's a low cushion shoe, not barefoot/minimalist.
View Quote

I didn’t say run barefoot other than in your yard to learn the correct stride. Low cushion zero drop shoes are what a runner needs.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:38:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Like walking on pillows.
I really like them for running.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:42:07 AM EDT
[#47]
-  super comfy and good for your feet

- overpriced

- my son tears them up and wears them out really fast, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:07:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Stinson 6 ATR owner, love them.  Key is to buy last years model.  I ordered 2 pair off ebay, just to compare sizes, returned the one for free.  I had told the seller I'd pay return shipping but they declined.  $105 instead of $170 for the 7's.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:42:37 PM EDT
[#49]
I got a pair of graviola 5s to wear at work and they’re way more comfortable than the Merrell jungle Mocs I used to wear
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:45:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By IDidThat:
My JK's feel like running shoes.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By IDidThat:
Originally Posted By rb889:

JK's?

I'm looking at getting a set of Frank's Raniers.
My JK's feel like running shoes.

Last set of JK’s I got had to be resized, and they fucked up the rebuild and left out the toecap I’d paid for. I’d ordered them around the time they changed from their old sizing, which was ten different shades of retarded, to roughly the same sizing that Nicks and Franks uses.

Franks are built on a more supple leather, my Commanders took all of 20 minutes to break in to being comfortable to walk around all day in. Their Rainiers are a high arch last similar to the 55, built out onto a wedge sole. All the arch support of the high heel logger boots, with the comfort and flex of a wedge. Unfortunately, their lead times are 12-18 weeks.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top