Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/22/2005 1:05:28 PM EDT
I went in for a follow up visit with my Dr., Dr. Szeto, a little chinese/japanese/korean Asian man, really funny, crack joke, ha ha kinda guy. After the turn my head and cough, I get the wonderful prostate check up. He left the room for a minute so I could get dressed again, and came back.

...Bad news Mr. michaelj1978, we found two rings around uranus today. "Huh? What are you talking about, what does that mean?" I was shocked for a minute and thought I caught something or something was wrong. Shoulda known. He then told me not to worry he was talking about Uranus, not my anus. Told me to go read the news and figure it out.

So I just got back a while ago and there really are two new rings discovered around Uranus....

""First additions to planet's ring system in nearly 20 years..

Astronomers aided by the Hubble Space Telescope have spied two more rings encircling Uranus, the first additions to the planet’s ring system in nearly two decades.

The faint, dusty rings orbit outside of Uranus’ previously known rings, but within the orbits of its large moons, said Mark Showalter, an astronomer at the SETI Institute in Mountain View, Calif., who made the discovery.

Details will appear on the journal Science's Web site, in advance of print publication. The discovery, announced Thursday, means scientists now believe the seventh planet from the sun possesses 13 rings.
In 1986, Voyager 2 became the first spacecraft to zip past Uranus and beam back thousands of images of its dazzling rings and numerous moons. It found two new rings in addition to the nine previously discovered from Earth.

Scientists peering through the Hubble Space Telescope made the latest ring discoveries in 2004. Then they went back to process hundreds of images taken by Voyager and found the rings in the pictures. Scientists speculate that the rings may not have been discovered during the spacecraft flyby because of their faintness.

The newly discovered rings are made up of short-lived, faint bands of dust grains that are constantly being replenished by erosion of larger space bodies. Scientist think the dust in the outermost ring is being supplied by the moon Mab, discovered in 2003.

Scientists also measured changes in the orbits of Uranus’ inner moons since 1994. The new measurements suggest the moons are in a “random and chaotic” fashion, said Jack Lissauer of the NASA Ames Research Center.

Because of the moons’ instability, scientists think the satellites will collide with one another in the next few million years.

Uranus, four times the size of Earth, is one of the solar system’s giant, gaseous planets that also include Jupiter, Saturn and Neptune.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.""

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:07:00 PM EDT
better wiping should clear up those dust rings in no time
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:07:57 PM EDT
Don't worry. You'll be pickin' off Klingons in no time.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:07:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NoVaGator:
better wiping should clear up those dust rings in no time

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:08:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2005 1:08:40 PM EDT by skebe]
No Kilngon jokes?

ETA: Dang my slow typing!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:08:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2005 1:08:56 PM EDT by California_Kid]
Was there any sign of Clingons?

On edit: Shoot, missed it by a mere 9 seconds.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:14:05 PM EDT
He reminds me of my doctor, Dr. Fitzer. He's a great doctor. He once gave a man six months to live, when the guy couldn't pay his bill, he gave him another six months.

He recommended me to my dentist, Dr. Vinner Boombots, wonderful dentist. I told him "Doc, my teeth are turning yellow. What do I do?" He said "Wear a brown tie."

Hey my name is motown_steve, you guys have been great. And remember to take care of your waitresses because they're takin' care of you!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:18:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By motown_steve:
He reminds me of my doctor, Dr. Fitzer. He's a great doctor. He once gave a man six months to live, when the guy couldn't pay his bill, he gave him another six months.

He recommended me to my dentist, Dr. Vinner Boombots, wonderful dentist. I told him "Doc, my teeth are turning yellow. What do I do?" He said "Wear a brown tie."

Hey my name is motown_steve, you guys have been great. And remember to take care of your waitresses because they're takin' care of you!

Some one needs to beat you with a book...

<­BR>

of good and funny jokes.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:19:56 PM EDT
Those Mars Bars will leave a rings every time.
I'd suggest staying away from the Corn nebula as well.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:21:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bblake00:

Originally Posted By motown_steve:

Some one needs to beat you with a book...

of good and funny jokes.

I'll have you know that the first joke was from Henny Youngman and the second one is a Rodney Dangerfield original.

You wouldn't know funny if it hit you in the face with a cream pie!
Top Top