Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2004 5:57:34 PM EDT
First off I'm trying reloads so I've got a book at my bench and a caliper marking what shoots how well and I get yelled out by the gamewarden for sitting at my bench with teh gun beside me, bolt open holding a round in a caliper adn writing down overall legnth of each shot because I was "handling a weapon where on clear" Although I tried to explain that he gun on the bench wouldn't even shoot that  ammo it didn't seem to matter. Last time I checked a 300RUM round was not going to fit into a  22/250. The RUM was on the table behind me.

Also you cna't load more than 3rnd at a time into a rifle. Kinda kills the ARshooting

I'm glad I pay a membership fee for my range.. I'll never go to one of those again
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:01:18 PM EDT
[#1]
The rules at most ranges are plainly posted.

Go a few more times to a crowded range and you'll be glad the rules are there.  You wouldn't believe the idiots that show up at the range sometimes.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:03:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I also hate public ranges.  I hope to avoid city live for ever, but you never know.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:03:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Were you handling a weapon during a cease fire? I didn't quite understand your quotation. Does the range have a safety line that all shooters have to be behind during cease fires? Being your first time, my guess is that the RO doesn't know you from Jack so he probably has no knowledge of your shooting ability/safety practices.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:04:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:04:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree, most public ranges suck.....

that being said- you sitting there finger fucking equipment when I'm downrange gives me the heebey jeebies..... I've had rounds fly past me and I don't like it....

-Roth
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:04:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The rules at most ranges are plainly posted.

Go a few more times to a crowded range and you'll be glad the rules are there.  You wouldn't believe the idiots that show up at the range sometimes.  

+1

Some range-goers are mindless nitwits that would shoot with people down range if there wasn't a range safety officer.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:06:54 PM EDT
[#7]
What is a "Public Range"?

To shoot or hunt here all you have to do is open a door or a window.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:08:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Hate ranges, I prefer nice open land. It is peace ful and you don't have to worry about any one next to you.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:13:21 PM EDT
[#9]
At both the outdoor ranges Fish Canyon, Durate Calif(15 miles east of L.A.) and Angeles Shooting Range,  Lake View Terrace, CA(20 miles N. of L.A.), during a line break, there absolutely no handling of any firearms, period. I've seen some stupid gun handling at these ranges, so I'm all for it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:22:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Public ranges are the ass.

Costs me under $100 a year to belong to two private clubs. Pretty much unlimited range time and one is a full auto haven.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:26:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, the state game lands suck. A membership to a private club is well worth the money in PA.

It's a shame that the game warden was the only one giving you grief. Get away from the bench and the rifle while the range is safe. No room for discussion.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:34:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Were you handling a weapon during a cease fire? I didn't quite understand your quotation. Does the range have a safety line that all shooters have to be behind during cease fires?

Let me try and go one by one here.

The rifle on my bench was a 22/250 and was off to the R side laying on a rest with the bolt open.. What I was handling was 300RUM rounds marking down numbering the rounds the overall length just tryign to see what would work best all in all on hte otehr end of my bench under my spoter scope

There's no line, Just a no handling weapons rule which I don't think I broke so I left rather than put up with it.

It's a shame that the game warden was the only one giving you grief. Get away from the bench and the rifle while the range is safe. No room for discussion.
I got away, right back into my truck. Really don't want to deal with some dude on a powertrip.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:39:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The 3 round limit, though, is utterly bullshit.   I wouldn't give that range the time of day, much less my patronage!

CJ

That's how all PA game commission public ranges are. On the bright side, the ranges are very neat, clean, and well maintained. Not the rubbled wastelands that most other ranges I've seen are.  They look like football fields. :)

oh yeah and are free.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:49:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I dread going to the range the month before hunting season.

Guys walking downrange while I am slinged up firing prone.  Caught a couple in the corner of my eye.

My pet peeve:  Saying "clear" to mean fire at will, and as "cease fire" as well.

Leaving actions shut, muzzle sweeping across the line.

Bottom line is that you know the regular shooters know safety; the once-per-year types probably don't.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:50:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
That's how all PA game commission public ranges are. On the bright side, the ranges are very neat, clean, and well maintained. Not the rubbled wastelands that most other ranges I've seen are.  They look like football fields. :)

oh yeah and are free.

That's what I'm told, I've been payingrange fees since I was 16. I'm glad I do because I'll never go to one of the PA ranges again
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:57:13 PM EDT
[#16]
At the ranges that I have been to, the rule is always absolutely no one on or near the shooting benches while the range is cold. I like the rule as you never know what that jackball is fiddling around with on the bench.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:08:48 PM EDT
[#17]
WHen i got there I had to sign a book. Guy asked "ever been here?" No "Ever been to a state range?" NO....

well let me give you the rules... Blah blah blah, no handling of weapons while range is in clear yada yada yada.....

I still don't consider marking rounds that will only fit in a gun that's a good 4feet behind me as handling weapons.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:14:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I think if you weren't on the line it wouldn't have been a problem.... yes the round didn't match the weapon that was there... but most people still have a problem with it- if you were turned around away from the line and doing that i don't think it would have been a problem

-Roth
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:23:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Hmm... let's see, what would the nice lady range officer at the nearby Issaquah range say if you were doing that...

"BEHIND THE RED LINE!!! STAY BEHIND THE RED LINE DURING CEASE FIRE!!!"

Then while walking away...

"GOD DAMN THESE PEOPLE! NOBODY LISTENS!! MUMBLE MUMBLE......"
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:29:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I went to a local indoor range since the state land got closed for target shooting
hadn't been there in a while. they have a new policy. no rapid fire (but nothing saying how fast is too fast) and no more than 10 rounds in a magazine. yet they have a preban AR, and a SAR1 that they rent
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:29:46 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Were you handling a weapon during a cease fire? I didn't quite understand your quotation. Does the range have a safety line that all shooters have to be behind during cease fires?

Let me try and go one by one here.

The rifle on my bench was a 22/250 and was off to the R side laying on a rest with the bolt open.. What I was handling was 300RUM rounds marking down numbering the rounds the overall length just tryign to see what would work best all in all on hte otehr end of my bench under my spoter scope

There's no line, Just a no handling weapons rule which I don't think I broke so I left rather than put up with it.

I got away, right back into my truck. Really don't want to deal with some dude on a powertrip.

Let me try and field this in the least offensive way possible:

I'm a range officer at my local private range where everyone has to attend a mandatory 2 hour safety and range proceedure presentation before range access is granted.  This class was created for two reasons.  The primary reason being the safety of our members and our neighbors as our range is in a suburban setting.  The secondary reason is to familiarize all the members with range proceedures so that as long as the members are paying attention to the rules there is no need to have a "power trip" to keep the range safe.

From the range officers perspective you where handling ammo with a rifle next to you during a cease fire.  The range officer is not reading the markings on the barrel to determine the combination you had is not compatible.  For all he knew you were going to toss the round into the chamber and fire it without being aware of the cease fire.  You know you weren't going to do it but he doesn't know unless he devotes 100% of his time to watch you.  The range officer has to watch the rest of the range, therefore the most expidient thing to do is separate you with your ammo from your rifle.

FWIW:  The range I belong to forbids the touching of any firearm during a cease fire.  If you aren't going to the target board you must be behind the line marked on the concrete.  At our range you may handle ammo and magazines (i.e. load up) during a cease fire as long as you remain behind the yellow line.  Most ranges have similar rules but, of course, with some slight vatiations.  At my range we try to avoid the power trip since we are all members of the private club.  As long as it isn't an immediate serious safety concern we try for the brotherly love approach.

The bottom line is the range officer can't watch you exclusively so you must follow the rules.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:42:23 PM EDT
[#22]
eh... as is life I geuss.. Bottom line for me is i don't like it so I won't have to follow their rules as I will never go back.

I'll stick with paying my some odd bucks a year. I'm not even sure what it is anymore

I do realize the rules aren't mine to make so I can either choose to go by theirs or simply not..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top