Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/12/2013 12:15:32 AM EDT
I got free preview tickets to see the Hobbit at the local Cinemark.  They've got their usual black circle with the handgun crossed out with the red line posted up but I ignore it and carry concealed like I do everywhere else.  Since it was a sneak preview there as a long line waiting to get in, being sponsored by a local radio station.  We were near the front of the line and just before letting us into the theater three guys showed up in suits carrying a black duffle bag.  They set the bag down on a table that was set up and I said to myself "self, that would be the way to bring guns in".

So I bladed at 45 degrees ( really I didn't, I just always wanted to say that) and watched as they unzipped the bag and took out the metal detector wands.   I thought shit, there's no way past that so I slipped out of the line, ran to my Jeep and put my gun under the front seated and locked it back up.

I've never seen that at the movies before.  They only did that at the one movie we were going in to.  I go to a lot of these sneak previews, I wonder if this is going to become the norm.

Anyone else ever experience this?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:17:13 AM EDT
[#1]
to......?

oh WANDED

never seen it here
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:17:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I haven't heard of that around MI but its pretty rare that I go to the movies.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:19:30 AM EDT
[#3]
More likely looking for recording equipment being a sneak preview than weapons?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:20:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
to......?

oh WANDED

never seen it here
View Quote

Sorry, autocorrect changed wanded to wanted and I didn't catch it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:23:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Roughly where in Texas did this take place?

I think my wife and I would've just left.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:24:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

They did ask everyone to turn off cell phones, there was talk about collecting all cell phones before going in like they had at a previous sneak peak but I didn't want to take any chances.  My 1911 surely would have set it off and then I would have had some splainin to do.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:24:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

THIS......

Probably looking for HD Camera's.....

Not weapons....
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:24:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Roughly where in Texas did this take place?

I think my wife and I would've just left.

View Quote

El Paso.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:25:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm posting via mobile and I can't see what state you are in, so I apologize for what might be a dumb question.

Is it common for movie theaters to forbid firearms where you live?

That blows my mind

ETA: Never mind, just saw your last post. Legally, if the no gun sign isn't a proper 30.06 format can you guys legally ignore it?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:25:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Redbox/Netflix it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:26:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

THIS......

Not weapons....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS......

Not weapons....

Yes but then I would have had to explain why I set the detectors off.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:26:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm posting via mobile and I can't see what state you are in, so I apologize for what might be a dumb question.

Is it common for movie theaters to forbid firearms where you live?

That blows my mind

View Quote

At cinemark, yes it is, in El Paso TX.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:27:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Redbox/Netflix it.
View Quote

Brand new movie being released tomorrow, and I saw it for free.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:30:07 AM EDT
[#14]
First place doing searches would be the last I ever went there.

They seem to forget the guy in colorado went out the exit and returned with the firearms.

Not doing anything to make you safe. Why be treated like a suspect to watch a movie. Don't patronize any place that does that. Vote with your dollars.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:31:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

THIS......

Not weapons....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS......

Not weapons....

This....
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:32:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:36:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Why do you guys continue to suck these companies cocks?

Just wait a month and it'll be Bootlegged to YouTube in HD.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:37:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

Still a douche move.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:39:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I GOT IN FOR FREE!
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:42:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS......

Not weapons....

"Iron lung."
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:42:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I GOT IN FOR FREE!
View Quote

After you Beta'ed out and put your pistol in the car.

Why would you do that for a shitty movie?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:43:26 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm guessing it was to find cameras to prevent people from recording the movie and leaking it onto the torrent sites.

ETA:
Or you need to move to a better part of town
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:49:38 AM EDT
[#23]
well, was it good?

did you see it in IMAX

cause I'm dreading the crowd - wife wants to go this weekend
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:52:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I GOT IN FOR FREE!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I GOT IN FOR FREE!

demand a refund
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:12:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Op was a sheep, not a sheepdog. Should have demanded a refund then left.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:16:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Op was a sheep, not a sheepdog. Should have demanded a refund then left.
View Quote

how would leaving be a "sheepdog"

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:17:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Free or not, don't give places like this business.

20 dollar ticket vs your concealed carry. What is the point of even having a CCDW if you aren't going to use it in the places that matter the most.

It's like having car insurance effective on your daily driver only when it's in the garage
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:23:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Never seen that or had it happen to me. Anyway, we're in NC where it's now legal to CC in theaters.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:45:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I GOT IN FOR FREE!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I GOT IN FOR FREE!

So it's okay to have your 2nd Amendment rights violated as long as it doesn't cost you any money?

Reminds me of a friend that was trying to talk me into going to Dick's Sporting Goods on Black Friday "because they have bricks of .22 for $19.99." I explained to him that I wouldn't set foot in a DSG if they were giving away .22 for free because of their post Newtown shenanigans. The ironic part is that my friend probably owns around 100 firearms and thousands of rounds of ammo, is an NRA member, understood why I wouldn't go with him, and yet still went for his limit 1 box $20 .22s.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:57:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I GOT IN FOR FREE!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I GOT IN FOR FREE!

Still should have gotten your money back.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:58:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

So it's okay to have your 2nd Amendment rights violated as long as it doesn't cost you any money?

Reminds me of a friend that was trying to talk me into going to Dick's Sporting Goods on Black Friday "because they have bricks of .22 for $19.99." I explained to him that I wouldn't set foot in a DSG if they were giving away .22 for free because of their post Newtown shenanigans. The ironic part is that my friend probably owns around 100 firearms and thousands of rounds of ammo, is an NRA member, understood why I wouldn't go with him, and yet still went for his limit 1 box $20 .22s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I GOT IN FOR FREE!

It's a private company. They can't "violate" the second amendment. It's not physically possible. Only the government or its actors can violate your second amendment rights.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:59:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Yea, I'm carrying...a firearm...and it's legal to do so.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:05:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It's a private company. They can't "violate" the second amendment. It's not physically possible. Only the government or its actors can violate your second amendment rights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I GOT IN FOR FREE!

Point taken. I guess it would have been more correct to say that they didn't allow you to exercise your 2nd Amendment rights? Honest question...
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:11:11 AM EDT
[#34]
I've gone to early/ sneak peeks for movies before.  They just dont want recording equipment being brought into the theatre.  If carrying legally I would leave it on me at find out what they would say.  At worst it would be to put it away.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:14:07 AM EDT
[#35]
So you went in a theater unarmed for the sake of a free movie.....Fail.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:14:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
...if the no gun sign isn't a proper 30.06 format can you guys legally ignore it?

View Quote

My understanding is that a 30.06 sign carries the weight of law in texas and violation could result in charges. If it is true, that is one more way florida is a more free state than texas. If you get caught ccing in an unarmed victim zone in florida (posted business, not courthouse or school etc.) all they can do is ask you to leave. If you don't leave you can be charged with trespassing but thats the extent of it.

Eta: Allowing yourself to be disarmed for ANY reason constitutes a fail in my book. To each his own i guess.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:19:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I GOT IN FOR FREE!

That is incorrect.  For the 1st Amendment you are correct because it starts with "Congress shall make no law.."  However, the 2nd is really, REALLY clear with the "...shall not be infringed."  There is no specification about who is attempting to do the infringing, just that it shall not take place.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:20:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

My understanding is that a 30.06 sign carries the weight of law in texas and violation could result in charges. If it is true, that is one more way florida is a more free state than texas. If you get caught ccing in an unarmed victim zone in florida (posted business, not courthouse or school etc.) all they can do is ask you to leave. If you don't leave you can be charged with trespassing but thats the extent of it.

Eta: Allowing yourself to be disarmed for ANY reason constitutes a fail in my book. To each his own i guess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...if the no gun sign isn't a proper 30.06 format can you guys legally ignore it?

30.06 is no more.  Any place with that sign still displayed is in violation and can have a per day fine levied against it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:26:03 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

30.06 is no more.  Any place with that sign still displayed is in violation and can have a per day fine levied against it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My understanding is that some stores will intentionally leave up "No Weapons" signs that do NOT meet legal requirements in order to keep the sheep comfortable and allow those carrying concealed to legally continue to do so.  YMMV IANAL etc etc.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:27:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So you went in a theater unarmed for the sake of a free movie.....Fail.
View Quote

And it was a Peter Jackson abortion to boot.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:48:16 AM EDT
[#41]
me no go unarmed.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:51:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Why bother going to those places anyways, way too many people talking, screaming, yelling. Go find something better to do with your time.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:54:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I GOT IN FOR FREE!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I GOT IN FOR FREE!

No, you didn't.

You gave up your right to protect yourself.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:06:39 AM EDT
[#44]
No way.  No movie is so good that I'll choose to render myself defenseless in order to see it.  Movie theaters are exactly the kind of prime place one should be CCWing.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:13:20 AM EDT
[#45]
'No Gun' signs that don't carry the weight of law mean nothing to me.  If the private business is marked, and the signs do lawfully prohibit, then I simply go elsewhere.

Regardless of whether they have a legal right to ban guns, if they are wanding (which is also their right, regardless) then I also simply go elsewhere.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:13:35 AM EDT
[#46]
How any of you function in society is beyond me. Don't be so afraid. I've done the same thing OP has.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:13:41 AM EDT
[#47]
What? You don't want me to CCW and you want my telephone?

Absolutely no fucking way.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:19:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
How any of you function in society is beyond me. Don't be so afraid. I've done the same thing OP has.
View Quote

Why?

Sorry that you don't value you and your's safety anymore than that.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:24:17 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm very glad those signs don't carry any legal weight here in GA, I still would give them my patronage if they put up such a sign.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:30:20 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

to......?
oh WANDED
never seen it here
View Quote

He wanded to, but he didnt because they were Foing, so he fent.

Op, you paid to see that movie?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top