Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2006 3:48:26 PM EDT
Was up in SnowShoe, WV and went skiing for the first time.  I rather enjoyed it.  After 10-15 minutes I got the hang of it and was able to make it down the Blue slopes without any problem and made it down a black diamond with only one bomb out.  I am feeling it today though.  Skied for about 6 hours and my legs are killing me.  Had a great time, though I fear that I may have found yet another expensive hobby.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:49:29 PM EDT
[#1]
take up the biathalon and you can combine two hobbies.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:51:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I don't think they would allow me to show up with an AR.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:52:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I never tired it, had a chance but figured Id break something I need
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:54:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would be a sweet sport though. Downhill with an AR strapped to your back.

I can see it now: Start off at the top with a long distance shoot with the AR.

Go down the hill some, stop, and pull out the AR for some 100 yard shots with the AR.

Start skiing again, come to the last station where you empty your sidearm at a target.

Then ski to the finish.

It would almost be like a james bond movie!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Was up in SnowShoe, WV and went skiing for the first time.  I rather enjoyed it.  After 10-15 minutes I got the hang of it and was able to make it down the Blue slopes without any problem and made it down a black diamond with only one bomb out.  I am feeling it today though.  Skied for about 6 hours and my legs are killing me.  Had a great time, though I fear that I may have found yet another expensive hobby.

Dude, if that's true, you are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY ahead of the learning curve.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:02:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, if that's true, you are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY ahead of the learning curve.

That is what my friend was telling me.  Funny story though.  I got the ski's on and immediately skied backwards into a building.  Not only was that intertaining to everyone around but I had a little incedent on the chair lift.  The first time I got off the lift without a problem.  My friend said that was really impressive.  The second time was different.  I forgot to get on my ski's and ended up jumping off the lift when it was 4 feet off the ground and slid into this one snowboarder who said "Duuuuude that was like, totally narly man you just like took off and like fell man that was.....aaawwwwwwwwsume."

I was ok as long as I controlled my speed.  On the black diamond I made sure to go back and forth across the slope.   I enjoyed it because there was more powder less ice and not as many people to deal with.  I did bomb out big time one blue slope.  I decided to see just how fast I could go  I tried snow plowing to slow down which wasn't working too well so I just tried to cut it left and catch an edge.  Well I ended up doing a pretty good flip, the ski's went flying off and I slid on my ass for a good ways.  It was great.  It was really the only activity that I have done that gets my mind off work because the only thing that I was thinking about was not dying.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:56:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Not to brag, but I started skiing at 6 and was doing black diamonds at 8.

Gave it up when my kids were born because I couldn't afford it.

Then 15 years later, I went on a school ski trip with my youngest son.

I skied circles around him (literally) He could not figuire out where that came from

GM
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Snowboarding is more fun...and safer.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:12:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I don't know, don't think I will ever try snowboarding.  I don't want to associate myself with that crowd.  I am more of a traditionalist anyway.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:15:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They used regular infantery rifles in biathlon back in the good old days.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:16:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What do they use now? I can see a day when this will be dropped from the Olympics, or they'll make them use pellet guns :(
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:20:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What do they use now? I can see a day when this will be dropped from the Olympics, or they'll make them use pellet guns :(

.22 LR repeater rifles, mostly Anshütz
BTW, biathlon was called military patron run and was a military event during the 1928, 1936 and 1948 Olympics, it was dropped after the Olympics in 48 because it wasn't open for civilians. It become an official event again in 1960.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:22:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know, don't think I will ever try snowboarding.  I don't want to associate myself with that crowd.  I am more of a traditionalist anyway.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:27:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:27:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Both are a lot of fun.  You can learn to ride pretty quickly.  For most folks the learning curve for skiing is a lot longer.   Safer?  Perhaps after you get past the faceplant stage (it is less taxing on your knees).  I prefer skiing to riding, but I'll do either given the opportunity.   Don't worry about the "crowd", there are good & bad in both groups.   Just get out there and do it!  (See Sigline)  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:29:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Both are a lot of fun.  You can learn to ride pretty quickly.  For most folks the learning curve for skiing is a lot longer.   Safer?  Perhaps after you get past the faceplant stage (it is less taxing on your knees).  I prefer skiing to riding, but I'll do either given the opportunity.   Don't worry about the "crowd", there are good & bad in both groups.   Just get out there and do it!  (See Sigline)  

Good quote from a great filmmaker
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:33:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

My family likes Snowshoe.  We are heading there in March.

Glad you had a good time and your bones are where they belong.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:34:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I will be going to Breckenridge in 3 weeks.  I cant wait.  mmmmm...Snow Bunnies
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:35:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Tahoe on Mar 18 for 6 days

w00t
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:40:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry you took offense  Just based on what I saw most of the snowboarder types seemed to have a holyer than thou atitude and were rude, snobish (which I guess I am guilty off right now as well) and seemed to take enjoyment of running trying to run people over.  I am sure there are a lot of people who snowboard (yourself included) where this doesn't aply.  I was speaking in general terms.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:42:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry you took offense  Just based on what I saw most of the snowboarder types seemed to have a holyer than thou atitude and were rude, snobish (which I guess I am guilty off right now as well) and seemed to take enjoyment of running trying to run people over.  I am sure there are a lot of people who snowboard (yourself included) where this doesn't aply.  I was speaking in general terms.

actually, as soon as I strap a board on I act that way - even more than usual.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:54:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Better on the knees?  Hmmm something to consider.  The thing that really added insult to injury out there was having little 5 year old kids wizzing by me as if they were born on the slopes.

I am really digging this skiing thing.  Just hate spending the $100 a pop not including the money on lodging and food.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:55:31 PM EDT
[#23]
def. easier on the knees....that's why I stopped skiing.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:01:02 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
def. easier on the knees....that's why I stopped skiing.

I agree. Very little stress compared to skiing.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:05:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Frankley, the idea that snowboarding is more fun is utter bunk...in my experience anyway.  I grew up skiing and in my teens decided I wanted to be cool and start snowboarding.  Though I did enjoy myself I really missed the control and finesse of skiing and after a few years went back to skiing.  Granted there's no halfpipe or fun boxes in skiing, but good luck with moguls while being strapped to that big board.

How would snowboarding be any safer?  For a long time it was a heck of a lot more dangerous until the break away bindings gained in popularity.  Could not fathom why they weren't there from the get go.

EDIT: Incidentally I picked up on snowboarding relatively fast because down here in San Diego a new type of skateboard had just become popular.  It was called an alter-skate and it's very similar to the 'snake boards' that still sell relatively well.  The motions on the alter-skate were exactly the same for turning on a snowboard.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:10:57 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And frankly, the idea that snowboarding is more fun is utter bunk.  I grew up skiing and in my teens decided I wanted to be cool and start snowboarding.  Though I did enjoy myself I really missed the control and finesse of skiing and after a few years went back to skiing.  Granted there's no halfpipe or fun boxes in skiing, but good luck with moguls while being strapped to that big board.

How would snowboarding be any safer?  For a long time it was a heck of a lot more dangerous until the break away bindings gained in popularity.  Could not fathom why they weren't there from the get go.

EDIT: Incidentally I picked up on snowboarding relatively fast because down here in San Diego a new type of skateboard had just become popular.  It was called an alter-skate and it's very similar to the 'snake boards' that still sell relatively well.  The motions on the alter-skate were exactly the same for turning on a snowboard.

break away snowboard bindings?

snowboarding is safer on the knees because your foot/feet aren't going to rotate in a direction 180 opposite your upper leg.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:12:40 PM EDT
[#27]
why not do both?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:19:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Now that youve mastered the Blues, may I suggest that you try a double black or perhaps a red octogon
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:27:26 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

snowboarding is safer on the knees because your foot/feet aren't going to rotate in a direction 180 opposite your upper leg.

Like regular ski bindings.  You crash and the skis pop off the boots so you A) don't break/twist a leg or ankle and B) when you fall your skis/board don't stay on so you go careening down the hill fast as a philipino whore into a tree...on your ass.  I began seeing such binding on snowboards a few years back, up till then all I had seen were the popular (and cheaper) kind were you are litterally strapped to the board.

It's not like we saw last night with Bode Miller in the Super-G where he caught a ski but it it stayed on as he was having it deflect up and down off the snow.  Normally it would have popped off for safety's sake.

(if you didn't see it, he stuck it)

I'll grant you, snowboarding is easier on the knees.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:34:16 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like regular ski bindings.  You crash and the skis pop off the boots so you A) don't break/twist a leg or ankle and B) when you fall your skis/board don't stay on so you go careening down the hill fast as a philipino whore into a tree...on your ass.

It's not like we saw last night with Bode Miller in the Super-G where he caught a ski but it it stayed on as he was having it deflect up and down off the snow.  Normally it would have popped off for safety's sake.

www.theconservativevoice.com/ap/img/OLYSB34702181515.jpg
(if you didn't see it, he stuck it)

I'll grant you, snowboarding is easier on the knees.

I thought you were saying that they made quick release snowboard bindings. (they don't)

Bode's mishap is the perfect example of what could happen to a knee....if he wasn't incredibly strong, flexible, etc that knee would have been toast. His bindings are "quick release" too, they're just waaaay tight.

FWIW they've been making quick release ski bindings since I started skiing in the 70s.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:30:36 AM EDT
[#31]
I think both are a lot of fun.  I havn't skied for 10+ years.  I prefer snowboarding.  Then again, I'm a sk8 rat.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:11:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Make sure you have decent medical coverage...

Took the wife skiing once...Mt. Crescent, IA....yeah, they have skiing in Western Iowa of all places...

Well, it was a molehill, but it was challenging enough for her... looked like a battered wife when she got home..bruises all over her body...

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:46:02 AM EDT
[#33]
I am hurting pretty bad right now.  Esp. in my arms and lats, but I am generally just sore all over.  6 hours for a newbie was probably a little too much.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:13:46 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I am hurting pretty bad right now.  Esp. in my arms and lats, but I am generally just sore all over.  6 hours for a newbie was probably a little too much.

Tension will do it.

We went skiing with another couple.  It was her first time.  She held the poles so tight her thumbs hurt for six months!

Gotta relax!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:08:49 PM EDT
[#35]
I like cross-country skiing.  I have no need to shatter both knees at my age.  And probably a hip too, with my luck.  I also want to start climbing mountains.  Its something I've never done before.  They say its never too late.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:40:38 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

.22 LR repeater rifles, mostly Anshütz
BTW, biathlon was called military patron run and was a military event during the 1928, 1936 and 1948 Olympics, it was dropped after the Olympics in 48 because it wasn't open for civilians. It become an official event again in 1960.

Found pic:

The French team in the 1924 Charmonix olympics.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top