Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2005 4:30:51 PM EDT
Well you cannot accuse anyone in the KKK of being overly bright…

This is just freaking incredible… and funny.

www.timesnews.net/article.dna?_StoryID=3532468

Man pleads guilty to assault in death of KKK inductee
Saturday, August 06, 2005

By DEE GOODIN

ELIZABETHTON - "This is the most bizarre case I've encountered in 25 years," District Attorney Joe Crumley said of an Elizabethton man who accidentally shot his "very dear" friend during a Ku Klux Klan initiation in 2003.

Gregory Allen Freeman, 45, 805 Cambridge Ave., Elizabethton, pleaded guilty to a charge of reckless aggravated assault, reduced from aggravated assault. A charge of reckless endangerment and another count of aggravated assault were dismissed.

Crumley described the incident to Criminal Court Judge Lynn Brown Friday morning. "They were initiating an inductee (Karl Mitchell III, 26, 1010 S. Second Ave., Elizabethton) into the Ku Klux Klan. A rope from a tree was tied around his neck in such a way he had to stand on his tiptoes to keep from choking."

According to Stacy Street, Freeman's attorney, Mitchell was strapped to a tree beside Freeman, with a hood over his face. At the same time, six individuals standing in a semicircle were shooting paint balls at Mitchell. Freeman was standing next to Mitchell firing a 9mm semiautomatic pistol into the air to convince Mitchell he was being struck with actual bullets.

Crumley said Freeman was then accidentally struck by a paint ball, "which can be painful," causing him to bend over. Crumley maintained that Freeman's pistol then discharged, striking Jeffrey S. Murr, one of those firing paint-ball guns.

"It was a through-and-through wound to the head," Crumley said.

"The medical treatment (Murr) received removed the spiraling, so we can't distinguish the entrance wound from the exit wound. We can't tell if he was shot from the back or the front. We just know he was shot."

The shooting occurred on Nov. 22, 2003, in Limestone in a wooded area near 363 Bill West Road.

After Street requested probation for his client, the judge asked Crumley for his input. "I'm not willing to recommend probation under these circumstances," Crumley replied. "I stand mute and defer to the court's decision."

Brown sentenced Freeman to three years. He is scheduled to

spend a total of 60 days in jail, 30 days beginning in October and the remaining 30 days will be served next year. Freeman was also sentenced to 30 days of community service. The balance of the sentence is to be served on probation.

"Mr. Freeman, I don't know if you've noticed, but we have a distinguished young prosecutor here who happens to be a black woman," Brown said, referring to assistant district attorney general Robin Ray, who was seated at the prosecution's table.

"You've got the right to free speech. You can belong to any organization you want. I can't be critical of your views, but there are some constitutional issues here."

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:32:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:35:31 PM EDT
[#2]
...which brings me to my next point -
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:36:59 PM EDT
[#3]
... don't do drugs!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#4]
A little chlorine for the gene pool?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:45:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Well you cannot accuse anyone in the KKK of being overly bright…

During the Kerry campaign, I had a saying
"no one is that stupid"
I had to stop saying it
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:02:33 PM EDT
[#6]

According to Stacy Street, Freeman's attorney, Mitchell was strapped to a tree beside Freeman, with a hood over his face. At the same time, six individuals standing in a semicircle were shooting paint balls at Mitchell. Freeman was standing next to Mitchell firing a 9mm semiautomatic pistol into the air to convince Mitchell he was being struck with actual bullets.

Crumley said Freeman was then accidentally struck by a paint ball, "which can be painful," causing him to bend over. Crumley maintained that Freeman's pistol then discharged, striking Jeffrey S. Murr, one of those firing paint-ball guns.

hat
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
A little chlorine for the gene pool?

Roger that.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:13:59 PM EDT
[#8]
The story isn't too clear to me...
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:17:15 PM EDT
[#9]
The first thing I thought was: How many of his "buddies" were undercover ATF & FBI agents? I've always thought they made up the majority of the Klan.

Scott

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:21:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:22:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

That does explain the drop in membership dues.

+1
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:24:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Elizabethton California?

Never heard of it.

Elizabethton, TN not CA.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:40:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Elizabethton, TN not CA.
We should hook up the KKK gunners with those La Raza "take back Cali for the Aztlanians" crowd. Two problems that could solve each other.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:51:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Then again, it takes decades to try and convict some of them.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:53:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Then again, it takes decades to try and convict some of them.

Only the ones who get tried twice tried for civil rights violations.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:49:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Actually we should send them over to the sand box.  Let them fight against the US.  Within a few months they will have blown them selves and their comrads up with IED's.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:16:58 PM EDT
[#17]
It's a shame only one died.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:29:55 AM EDT
[#18]

I heard it this morning.  Sounds like typical Klan in this area, IQ just under room temperature.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:37:05 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Elizabethton California?

Never heard of it.

Elizabethton, TN not CA.

I think Paul was being sarcastic because everyone always rags on how bad CA is...
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:52:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top