Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2005 2:31:52 PM EDT
Hes a older fella and not doing so well, Very nice guy always willing to lend a tool or some wisdom.
So about 25 minutes after i here it is indeed vest nile, Fox 2 news pulls up and interviews my daughter and i, damn the news crews work fast.

He was getting a little bit better but just couldnt pull through
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:34:16 PM EDT
[#1]
yow, Fox scooped CDC

sorry to hear about your neighbor, hope he pulls through OK
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:34:45 PM EDT
[#2]
News crews and vultures.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:38:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Why do they call it West Nile virus?

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:40:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Tanam what county?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:41:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Why do they call it West Nile virus?

That's where it was first identified, made the jump to the US in 99, I think, symptoms were similar to some other ills but not quite the same, CDC in Colorado was dismissive at first, until a vet at the local (NYC) zoo (who had been treating critters that had fallen ill and been blown off by CDC) blew the whistle on them.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:42:13 PM EDT
[#6]
County by county maps here (note that there are diff maps for birds, skeeters, people etc...)
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:43:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:49:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Wayne county, his wife also told me they  found 3 dead birds in the backyard. They had called CDC
but they were told if they were not blue jays or black birds they didnt need to worry and they would not come out and have the birds tested. Hes not doing so well, it doesnt appear that he is going to make it. This pisses me off.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:52:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Just wondering. We had a bunch of insects test positive for it here in southern Genesee county.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:03:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
News crews and vultures.

I wouldn't say that in this case, probably the family got called and okayed the interview. Attention whore might be better
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:07:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I've had several dead birds in my back yard.  I got eaten up by mosquitoes a few nights ago.  I'm hoping the wiskey I'm drinking will kill any stinkin' virus!!  Oh well I'm 32. I should live if I get it.

Has anyone died in the last 2 years of this?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:31:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
News crews and vultures.

I wouldn't say that in this case, probably the family got called and okayed the interview. Attention whore might be better

I dunno about that, hes in the hospital about to pass, he wife is with him, their house is empty,
the only person that got interviewed was me, his neighbor.

And if your calling his 70 year old wife a attention whore your a spineless bastard.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:35:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
News crews and vultures.

I dunno about that, hes in the hospital about to pass, he wife is with him, their house is empty,

And if your calling his 70 year old wife a attention whore your a spineless bastard.

Considering the reply was to callgood, not you who the fuck are you to call me a spineless bastard?
You left out pertinent info in your original post.
I worked at a TV station and 90% of the news stories on the air are phoned in to the station.
I admit the attention whore moniker might have been harsh.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:45:54 PM EDT
[#14]
We had two young girls get bit all to hell and end up with CNS infections the doctors thought came from WNV.  One was actually paralyzed below the waist, the other has RSD and had to have a spinal surgery for a stimulator to deal with the pain.  Pretty fucked up, but no other cause was determined.  I have my doubts, except they were in their 20s and perfectly healthy, plus they were together when they got bit.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:30:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Sad day indeed.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:46:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Sorry to hear that.

Looks like there were a few cases in MI.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:56:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
News crews and vultures.

Considering the reply was to callgood, not you who the fuck are you to call me a spineless bastard?
You left out pertinent info in your original post.
I worked at a TV station and 90% of the news stories on the air are phoned in to the station.

Dude go play somewhere else.
I admit the attention whore moniker might have been harsh.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:01:39 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
We had two young girls get bit all to hell and end up with CNS infections the doctors thought came from WNV.  One was actually paralyzed below the waist, the other has RSD and had to have a spinal surgery for a stimulator to deal with the pain.  Pretty fucked up, but no other cause was determined.  I have my doubts, except they were in their 20s and perfectly healthy, plus they were together when they got bit.

No shit? Where was this?

I've lived in the PHX for damn near 8 years now and I've never been bitten by a mosquito since.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:37:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No shit? Where was this?

I've lived in the PHX for damn near 8 years now and I've never been bitten by a mosquito since.

They came to our floor at JCL North Mountain.  I don't know where they were when they got bit.  I've been bit a few time in my backyard (32st and Cactus) and have been eaten alive in Show Low when camping last time.  They love me.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:55:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Hes a older fella and not doing so well, Very nice guy always willing to lend a tool or some wisdom.
So about 25 minutes after i here it is indeed vest nile, Fox 2 news pulls up and interviews my daughter and i, damn the news crews work fast.

He was getting a little bit better but just couldnt pull through

Sorry to hear it.

And sorry the CDC is acting like a gov't agency ... OH! wait... they ARE a gov't agency! (This comment is dissing THEM, not you, btw).

Mosquitoes LOVED me when I was a rug-rat, but NOW they absolutely DO NOT! (though I DID get bit a couple of times in Korea when I was there... but all the rice paddies... LOTS of "breeding" ground.

Aside from that, can't even recall the last time I was bit.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:55:06 PM EDT
[#21]
We have had a number of dead birds with it on my block.  But the environmentalist Nazis are blocking mosquito spraying.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:23:34 PM EDT
[#22]
 Sorry about your neighbor, WNV is tough on the older folks.

We have an even worst thing going on around here, Eastern equine encephalitis is being spread by mosquito's and one woman just died from it. Its very deadly for children, so everyone is being pretty careful.

www.dhhs.state.nh.us/DHHS/CDCS/West+Nile+Virus/default.htm
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:44:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Good info. Thanks all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top