Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
6/2/2020 2:34:59 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/8/2005 3:50:13 PM EDT
Well sad day for me; I was diagnosed with psycosis(beginning stages of parnoia psyco) one day things started to turn bad for me having severe panic attacks and severe depression disorder they said I live with it for a while but got to a point I needed medical treatment, time to sell what weapons I have left.
only reasonable sensable thing to do I guess I am on medication right now! but oh well. god will get me through this I trust him.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:51:24 PM EDT
Damn
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:51:29 PM EDT
Sorry to hear that bro. Good luck with your treatment!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:52:08 PM EDT
Good luck with that.  How about having a family member or close friend help you with the sale?

That would seem like the prudent thing to do.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:52:26 PM EDT
I am sorry to hear that . . . I don't know if I could deal with it, myself.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:52:35 PM EDT
thanks guys!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:53:35 PM EDT
Sorry to hear of your ailment.

Is this trateable with meds??

Smart decision to sell the guns. We'll cover your six.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:54:13 PM EDT
it is a though thing to go through spent christmas + 7 days in the hospital over this.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:55:08 PM EDT
Damn, dude. I hate to hear this. I wish you well.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:55:17 PM EDT
Group buy!

Sorry to hear about it man.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:55:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By garandman:
Sorry to hear of your ailment.

Is this trateable with meds??

Smart decision to sell the guns. We'll cover your six.

yes If I do not take one pill It can get worse! really.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:56:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Sin_Bin:
Good luck with that.  How about having a family member or close friend help you with the sale?

That would seem like the prudent thing to do.

got my wife selling them soon.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:59:51 PM EDT
I'm really sorry to hear this. We will pray for you each day. Please keep us updated and I'm sure you have been seeking many medical opinions but remember to check out everything possible for treatment.

God Bless you,
NMSight
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:02:40 PM EDT
You must be strong and take your meds

As things progress you will want to dump the meds...

be strong and keep taking them .... it is your only chance.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:05:21 PM EDT
Speaking as one who has several relatives taking medication for mental illnesses on various types and intensities (fortunately all from in-laws that I'm not genetically related to or I'd be worried), yes, TAKE YOUR MEDS. It will be very tempting to just skip the hassle and not take them once, and after you've skipped them once, it begins a downward spiral that is very hard to break free of. Stay determined, be strong, and have good health!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:05:42 PM EDT
Sorry man. Prayers your way.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:05:48 PM EDT
Damn, sorry to hear that.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:07:06 PM EDT
Hang in there guy, it is treatable as long as you stay with the meds. I have been going through it with my wife for 10 years.

Get someone, wife-family member, and give them access to your full med records and treatment. My wife had problems with 2 people, one doctor and one assistant, writing her scripts. Assistant thought he knew more than the doctor. Really screwed he up for the last 6 months. Just starting to get back in control.

Hang tough and you will learn to live with it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:10:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:11:22 PM EDT
Sorry to heat that , get better. Friends may take you shooting later I hope.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:12:31 PM EDT
What's the reason for selling the guns? Is it illegal to own them once you are diagnosed with a major mental illness? Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:14:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By windom:
What's the reason for selling the guns? Is it illegal to own them once you are diagnosed with a major mental illness? Good luck.

That and he may be lucid enough right now to know that when he isn't, he might not be safe with them.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:16:30 PM EDT
OK I am going to be dumb and ask.  How do you get to this illness?  Born with it, just devolop it by being worried a lot?

I wish you the best.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:19:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2005 4:21:22 PM EDT by Digital_Chaos]
Gods speed

it takes real courage to admit a problem such as yours
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:20:56 PM EDT
Mostly genetic and, when mixed with chemical inbalance it really causes problems.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:22:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By QuietShootr:

That and he may be lucid enough right now to know that when he isn't, he might not be safe with them.

Will he ever have the RKBA again if he overcomes it?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:23:36 PM EDT
I'm sorry to hear that LocknLoaded. You will be in our families prayers tonight.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:23:47 PM EDT
If you read the yellow form on a firearm purchase that is a question they ask,, that is about mental illness!!!! Hopefully you will be cleared in the near future with proper meds and care...Godspeed1!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:24:26 PM EDT
May the Lord watch over you and your family.  I will remember you in my prayers tomorrow at church.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:26:31 PM EDT
Damn.

Get well.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:26:52 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:28:46 PM EDT
prayers sent.......
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:29:51 PM EDT
Very responsible call on selling your guns.  Sorry to hear of your illness, I will be praying for you.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:30:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By QuietShootr:

Will he ever have the RKBA again if he overcomes it?

Not if he ever has been committed or adjudicated mentally incompetent.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:31:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mliedy:
If you read the yellow form on a firearm purchase that is a question they ask,, that is about mental illness!!!! Hopefully you will be cleared in the near future with proper meds and care...Godspeed1!!

It asks weather or not you have been AJUDICATED   mentally ill , as in a court of law.

If you have a menal illness it does not bar you from owning firearms
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:41:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:56:06 PM EDT
Best of luck to you, L&L!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:56:29 PM EDT
Jerry's wife here. I have to tell you, I don't think you necessarily have to sell your weapons. You do need to take the meds and try group therapy for a couple of weeks. You will be surprised to find out how many people are in the same way. And everyone else will have the same side effects from medicines so you won't feel weird with the shaking and sudden jerks. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, psychosis, schizophrenia, and paranoia. When taking my meds I am like every one else. I am no danger to myself or anyone else. And yes I have been out shooting with my husband.. There are many guns in our house, but I have no want to use them. The trick is that when you get feeling better, do not stop the meds.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:00:20 PM EDT

Sorry to hear about your problems, hope all works out well in the end.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:02:29 PM EDT
God Bless You.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:06:15 PM EDT
Why sell them?  Why not lock them all up and lock away the combination in a friend's or family member's safe deposit box?  In case of SHTF....

also - if you do get rid of them, you will still have fun shooting with your buds here - I would let you borrow my AR at the range, under supervision of course ;)
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:08:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2005 5:08:40 PM EDT by Minuteman419]
LocknLoaded, I hope things get better for you and I'll remember you in my prayers.

Hang in there.

Danny
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:08:40 PM EDT

Hang in there guy, it is treatable as long as you stay with the meds. I have been going through it with my wife for 10 years.

Get someone, wife-family member, and give them access to your full med records and treatment. My wife had problems with 2 people, one doctor and one assistant, writing her scripts. Assistant thought he knew more than the doctor. Really screwed he up for the last 6 months. Just starting to get back in control.

Hang tough and you will learn to live with it.

I have the same thing with my wife.  Hang in there as there is light at the end of the tunnel.  
Is there someone in the family you can pass your firearms along too?  That way you could still shoot with that family member on your good days.  Just a thought.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:13:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:14:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:18:10 PM EDT
Sorry to hear that.

I must say however, that that was a hell of a responsible move to make. Hopefully this can be overcome.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:27:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2005 5:28:46 PM EDT by LightSpeed2]
I understand Bro...... I have had depression since 1988. Same meds every  day keeps me from feeling poorly.  Every situation is differant so, If you have any doubt about what your Doctor is  suggesting as a prognosis or the type of treatment, get a reference and get a 2nd or 3rd opinion.
The Mental Health field is full of Practioners with differant views on what to do.  
My Family's Prayers
Joel
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:32:08 PM EDT
My wife has to take her meds or she is HE%% to live with. Stay on them, even when you feel good. I'll be praying for you!

GR
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:38:38 PM EDT
LocknLoaded - I can't tell you how much I admire you for your public admission. I can almost feel your pain. To say that I could really feel it would be an insult to you. Not to take away from your post, you are to be admired.

I will pray for your recovery. I hope the meds help. PLEASE stay on them. Guns are NOT everything. Life is more important.  

Remember, gun ownership is NOT a requirement for membership into this club. You are always welcome here. If there is ANYTHING that I, as a human being, can do, it is yours.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:40:40 PM EDT
I assume they ruled out any medical conditions.  Did they even give you a diagnosis?  Schizophreniform, schizoaffective, schizophrenia?

Sorry to hear either way.  I hope it gets better.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:49:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mikejohnson:
Why sell them?  Why not lock them all up and lock away the combination in a friend's or family member's safe deposit box?  In case of SHTF....

+1... Have a family member take legal possesion (one you trust), and have them take you to the range.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top