Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2005 5:51:05 PM EDT
For the last two years I have been working a plain clothes felony car.  No assigned calls, no uniform or grooming standards, minimal supervion. Lots of meth labs, robbery stakeouts, vehicle surveilance across the southwestern US. Put away a lot of burglars, robbers and drug dealers. But like all good things it must end.

My choises were test for investigator, test for Sgt or go back to patrol. I'm not a leader in the supervisory sense (my oponion in spite of admins desires) and i'm not ready to hang up my spurs, so no Sgt for me. I cant imagine being an investigator burrried under a never ending pile of cold burglary and theft cases. So I'm going back to a black & white area car effective tonight. Ugh, gotta shave, find a uniform that still fits. I didnt miss the domestic violence reports and traffic collision reports at all.  But I'm sure it will be fun.  My previous asignment gave me a lot of insight into the "bigger picture" and I'm sure those experiances will only make me a more effective street cop than i was before.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:54:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome back... Patrol is my home!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 3:16:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Slick sleeve Patrol Puke!

From a case overloaded, rookie Investigator supervising, stressed out new Sgt!

Some days I think going back to Patrol would be a nice mental vacation (no offense intended). At least no stress over piles of cases that will not go away, no "on call" weeks, no being the DA or the Sheriff's go to guy for special cases, less personal involvement with special victims... I could go on.

I hope to get to use my shiney new stripes as a Patrol Shift Sgt one day but my career path may not allow for that...

Stay safe, man and welcome back into the fishbowl!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:46:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Welcome back to the shit pit.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:14:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:44:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Welcome back to the shit pit.   [/quote

+1              

and hope for a 1-man patrol...
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:15:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Good luck man.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:29:07 AM EDT
[#7]
So I'm right for wanting to get on the jump out squad?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:01:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Patrol is, and always will be, the front line.  I miss it to the point that I find myself waiting until after busniess hours, then hitting the street until 2300 after having worked a full duty day.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:06:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Good luck.  Some people don't realize the 'freedom' that exists as a patrol officer.  Just answering your calls and working your area, that's it.  People can't understand why I don't want to promote.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:22:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Good luck man, I always enjoyed patrol.  I'll go back one day.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:31:55 PM EDT
[#11]
There is no greater satisfaction than doing something well that most people will never even get the chance to try to do.  I've been in patrol for 10 years and it is my goal to go out a patrolman in 10 more.  Definitely one of the last  jobs left with any hint of nobility or honor.

Be safe brother.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:51:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Still entry level after how many years?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:38:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Patrol is, and always will be, the front line.  I miss it to the point that I find myself waiting until after busniess hours, then hitting the street until 2300 after having worked a full duty day.

Amen Brother.  I left the U/C narcotics unit after four years U/C to go back "into the bag".  I missed being a "road trooper" so much, and despite dealing with all the b/s, and actually having to show up to work shaven and on time ( ), I have no regrets.  You definitely go back with a greater sense of what "the Job" is all about...........not to mention that it really lets you know that "the street cop" is the backbone of the job.  Good for you, man!!!  Be safe.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:35:39 AM EDT
[#14]
11 years patrol. Word through the grape-vine is that I'm being sent to FTO school. Just got the MOI Cert and my agency has started an entry unit. Life is good.

Welcome back to the toilet handle. Don't forget to give it a shake.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:45:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:01:43 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Well thats one way to look at at.  I've only been doing it for 12 years. with occasional assignments to specialty details available to my rank like Gang Unit, Narcotics, regional narcs, diplomatic protection, vice, ect...

It's like saying a surgeon is still entry level becuase he doesnt want to manage the hospital administration.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:06:01 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Obviously not a cop, eh, Pal?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:01:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I have two friends who recently happily turned in their desk jobs for a uniform and patrol.  They love the fact that when the clock strikes you go home and nothing is waiting for you tomorrow.  
It's a noble job and somebody has to do it.  Best if it's done well.
Welcome back  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:10:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:19:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
So I'm going back to a black & white area car effective tonight.

Welcome back, Kotter...

Ugh, gotta shave, find a uniform that still fits.

Don't forget to call folks "Sir" and "Ma'am", not "hey dickhead"... one of our guys who went to Sgt. from UC had a little problem adjusting...  

My previous asignment gave me a lot of insight into the "bigger picture" and I'm sure those experiances will only make me a more effective street cop than i was before.  

Keep the good attitude, bro...  and stay safe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top