Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/16/2004 3:15:27 PM EST
I am thinking about getting a 44 mag revolver...

I can carry my Kimbers, BUT I think for a hunting sidearm, a large caliber 44 mag would be nice.

I like the Titanium framed Smiths, but with magnum laods, I am sure they would be a handfull, BUT it would make a great light wieght sidearm.

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:28:00 PM EST
A .38 special will kill a moutian lion deader than a doornail, so if your looking for protection from a moutian lion use what you've got...if you want a .44 mag go ahead but do it because you want one not because you NEED IT for a pussy cat.

yeah M/L's are dangerous (if they surprise their victim) but are very thin skinned and don't weigh much usually around 80-100 lbs out west here anyway.

and cross section of one of these cats is only about 8-10 inches so a .38 would likely go right through we hunt them out west here with .38'-.45's and .357's if were taking a longer shot from revolvers.

Now lions, tigers and bears...oh my they ARE different animals altogether
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 4:56:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/16/2004 4:57:22 PM EST by TennVol]

Originally Posted By stormwalker:
A .38 special will kill a moutian lion deader than a doornail, so if your looking for protection from a moutian lion use what you've got...if you want a .44 mag go ahead but do it because you want one not because you NEED IT for a pussy cat.

yeah M/L's are dangerous (if they surprise their victim) but are very thin skinned and don't weigh much usually around 80-100 lbs out west here anyway.

and cross section of one of these cats is only about 8-10 inches so a .38 would likely go right through we hunt them out west here with .38'-.45's and .357's if were taking a longer shot from revolvers.

I'm not so sure about the weight you quoted for "out west". Some of the bigger toms shot around here in CO go 150+ lbs. A lot of lions that are treed with dogs (not in CO, though. Using dogs is illegal here) are shot with .22 cal weapons to minimize damage to the pelt. I'm not so sure I would go that light on the caliber, but it is done.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:06:20 PM EST
Your Kimber cocked and locked will be plenty. There is no need to pack a 44 for protection against a lion, you already have a rifle and likely will use that in the event you come accross one. Remember, a sidearm is best used to fight your way back to a long gun!

The number one reason I carry my sidearm while hunting, is not for lions lions or bear, its for the two legged critters! If I cant get business done with my rifle then the 45 gets me back to my truck.

CH
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 11:10:52 PM EST
True CH, but this would give me a good excuse to get another pistol,
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 11:18:09 PM EST
10mm Delta Elite?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 11:27:27 PM EST
Lions are tough critters, but I would think that you should carry the Kimber, as it ought to be enough power and since you practice with it anyway, and carry it, you're much more likely to score hits with it when it counts.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 11:30:30 PM EST
What about your deer rifle?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:49:06 AM EST

Originally Posted By Silver_Surfer:
What about your deer rifle?

All I had yesterday was my Bow. I bow hunt more than I rifle hunt. In Oklahoma you can carry a concelled handgun while bow hunting, if you have a valid Oklahoma CWL. Which I do
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:08:10 AM EST

Originally Posted By 1shott:
True CH, but this would give me a good excuse to get another pistol,

Well hell, thats seals the deal!

Buy the 44, carry the kimber!
CH
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:34:27 AM EST

Originally Posted By TennVol:

Originally Posted By stormwalker:

I'm not so sure about the weight you quoted for "out west". Some of the bigger toms shot around here in CO go 150+ lbs. A lot of lions that are treed with dogs (not in CO, though. Using dogs is illegal here) are shot with .22 cal weapons to minimize damage to the pelt. I'm not so sure I would go that light on the caliber, but it is done.

The one captured in west central Omaha a year or so was ~110 lbs. Theres been a few reports of more in the area.
Top Top