Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/30/2003 11:39:08 PM EDT
Those are all the responses I could think of, so have at it!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:42:17 PM EDT
[#1]
And if you do hunt? Just STFU I guess.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:45:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Because all of natures animals are precious!  I want to hug them and pet them and keep them for my very own! [whacko]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:46:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh, and don't mind my avatar!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:50:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Why would you be less than a man if you don't hunt?

I think hunting is very important to the preserving of animal wildlife and prevention of over population and a wonderful sport.
I support the right for others to hunt but I just don't like it for myself. Why would that make me "gay" as you put it?

Seriously man, grow up.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:55:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:58:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why would that make me "gay" as you put it?
View Quote

There [b]were[/b] other choices son.
View Quote

The others are just as bad [:d]
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 12:08:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Because all of natures animals are precious!  I want to hug them and pet them and keep them for my very own!... [whacko]
View Quote

...and call them "George" [;)]
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 12:13:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I havent had the time this year, last 2 years I was working out of state.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 12:57:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I am so wealthy that I pay migrant workers to do my hunting, and package my food in handy containers that are easy for me to pop in the microwave and heat up.

When I choose to kill myself it's purely for blood lust.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 12:59:49 AM EDT
[#10]
i like to shoot. i don't want to spend hours setting up/ baiting/ tracking/ etc. just to get in a single shot. i like to take out many guns instead of only one and shoot the living shit out of them. i enjoy going with others so that we can have a little friendly competition at equal targets at equal ranges.  
damn it... I WANT TO SHOOT I SAY!!!
hunting is cool, just not my cup of tea. once the shot was over, i would take no pleasure in the gutting/dressing and lugging.
i'm easy enough to keep happy, just give me a case of surplus, a good sized pit, and some tannerite, and i'm all smiles.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 1:23:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Hunting is not for everyone.  My brother-in-law will not hunt because he doesn't want to kill an animal.  Some don't like the prospect of gutting the dead carcass.  I actually enjoy the gutting.  In an academic way.  In addition to finding what an animal is feeding on or the terminal performance of my arrow or bullet I have a bewilderment that this mess of goo and guts actually exists in a similar state inside of me and sustains me as well.  Fascinating!  But I do not think less of folks who do not hunt.  It's a personal choice.  I cannot remember a time when I didn't hunt or want to hunt.  My family has been doing it for as long as anyone can remember.  My grandfather at 81 years old cannot remember when he didn't hunt or a time when nobody in his family did.  It seems to be something as common as sleeping in my family.  

My main problem with discussions like this is they tend to divide us and that works in favor of the anti-gun types as they see us all the same.  

Now if you were to say guns are bad and hunters are vicious animal killers with little dicks, or some other PETA crap then I would just write you off as one of the enemy.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 1:50:10 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't hunt b/c it surves no purpose for me.  I don't get enjoyment from killing animals.  If I needed food, or wanted a certain type of meat, I have no quarrels about killing for that.  I'd love to do it as part of survival training, but other than that, I don't see it as functional for me.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 1:50:49 AM EDT
[#13]
None of the above. [:D]

[devil]
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 2:11:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't hunt cause I don't have the time. But every once in awhile a dead coyote shows up in my backyard! BobK
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 2:19:49 AM EDT
[#15]
I love shooting but I don't hunt.

I don't have any problems with other people hunting, however, I just don't care for it.  It is a waste of life in my opinion.

The main reason is that I don't get any enjoyment out of killing things.  The good feeling I would get from a successful 200 yds deer kill does not counteract the bad feeling I would get knowing the deer had to die for me to get the feeling.  It is not a good trade off.  I would rather forego the enjoyment and let the animal live.  Maybe it is just a respect for wildlife that I have.  If you don't have it then you will never understand.  I have never been able to understand why hunters go around saying they "respect nature and wildlife" when they get such enjoyment out of ending that life.  Does not compute with me.

I would have no problem in killing an animal if I needed to eat.  I would also have no problem if the animal was a threat.  However, kill them for enjoyment? Forget it.  I get more enjoyment with the animal being a part of my world.  I never kill snakes or varmints or anything else unless there is a darn good reason.

Others may different values and that is OK.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 2:32:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I don't have any problems with other people hunting, however, I just don't care for it.  It is a waste of life in my opinion.

The main reason is that I don't get any enjoyment out of killing things.  The good feeling I would get from a successful 200 yds deer kill does not counteract the bad feeling I would get knowing the deer had to die for me to get the feeling.  It is not a good trade off.  I would rather forego the enjoyment and let the animal live.  Maybe it is just a respect for wildlife that I have.  If you don't have it then you will never understand.  I have never been able to understand why hunters go around saying they "respect nature and wildlife" when they get such enjoyment out of ending that life.  Does not compute with me.

I would have no problem in killing an animal if I needed to eat.  I would also have no problem if the animal was a threat.  However, kill them for enjoyment? Forget it.  I get more enjoyment with the animal being a part of my world.  I never kill snakes or varmints or anything else unless there is a darn good reason.

View Quote

You need to read up.
Hunting is part of nature.  If nobody did it, we'd be overrun.  In fact, in most cases where hunting of a specific animal is banned or curtailed, people DO get overrun.  Don't feel, think.

I don't hunt, mostly because I don't feel like taking the time to do it.  Much like fishing.  I couldn't spend all day on any one activity like that when I don't have to.  In a EOTWAWKI situation there will be plenty of hunters and hoarders to steal things from, so I don't really see it as a survival skill, although I have killed & cleaned animals before and could do it again if I got hungry.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 3:20:46 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't like to trudge around in the snow. I don't want to clean it. Most of the things I could hunt are things I don't want to eat. It would take time away from what I really like to do, which is going shooting.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 3:43:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

think.

I don't hunt, mostly because I don't feel like taking the time to do it.  Much like fishing.  I couldn't spend all day on any one activity like that when I don't have to.  In a EOTWAWKI situation there will be plenty of hunters and hoarders to steal things from, so I don't really see it as a survival skill, although I have killed & cleaned animals before and could do it again if I got hungry.
View Quote

Thanks guys, for me, it's a combination of both of ya'ns. I've got deer running around my yard. I don't hunt, 'cause I don't need the meat.

Norm is correct though, seems I heard somewheres back east is overrun with deer...

They're like rats, around here.... [:D]
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 3:49:58 AM EDT
[#19]

Me and BIGJ491 are pretty much in the same boat.  I have never hunted before, and don't really know anything about it.  I don't have a problem with it, as long as people eat what they kill.  That is what hunting is for in the first place, after all.

The video of the charging lion from yesterday is not hunting, IMO.  Yes, there is obviously some personal risk involved, as the video clearly showed.  However, five people armed with rifles and a video camera going after one animal which I seriously doubt they will eat, is not sporting or necessary.

If I did ever hunt, I would consider it a trial of sorts, and expect hardship, dissapointment, and misery to be a part of the experience.  I.E. I want to earn the meat that I bring home at the end of the day.

If you have read Point of Impact by Stephen Hunter, then you will remember the opening passage where Bob Lee shoots a buck, after sitting still beneath a tree for 17 hours in the rain and cold before taking the shot.

THAT is what I consider hunting.  Not sitting in a blind somewhere with a thermos of coffee and deer food spread around 50 yards in front of you.

No offense to any hunters here, as I said I have never hunted, so I am really just talking out my ass here.

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 3:50:51 AM EDT
[#20]
This poll needs some better worded questions.
You need to change the wording of the post.
The way the poll question is worded is ambiguous.
[:)]
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 3:53:59 AM EDT
[#21]
There is enough hunters in the woods as it is.I enjoy the outdoors during the off season.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 3:57:07 AM EDT
[#22]
I hunt, cause I like it.

Don't see any reason to dislike someone or think down on them if they don't hunt.

Just don't try and stop me from doing it.  Cause then you are trying to take my fredoms like taking my guns.  And that shit don't fly.

Edited to say IBTL  [:)]
and this poll was done in bad taste.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 4:17:55 AM EDT
[#23]
I hunted when I was younger and enjoyed it. I left home and had no place to go hunting and lost interest. Now I'd rather go to the range and shoot at paper. There are a couple of 2 legged SOBs I'd like to put some lead in if I knew I could get away with it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 4:33:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Why SNorman dont like huntin and killin!
I'm gay!  
I'm metrosexual!  
I have a small penis!  
All of the above!
View Quote

Interesting...!
Thank you for sharing.

But Hey! We still think you be cool!
[BD]...!

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 5:17:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Because none of my friends or family hunted when I was growing up, and none of them do today.  So really, I dont know how to go about getting the permits, whathow to find game, or what to do with it one I kill it. I'd have to read a book, or shell out major cash to go with a guide who'd handle the details and logistics.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 5:17:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The good feeling I would get from a successful 200 yds deer kill does not counteract the bad feeling I would get knowing the deer had to die for me to get the feeling.  It is not a good trade off.  I would rather forego the enjoyment and let the animal live.
View Quote

So you're a vegetarian?  Otherwise, how are you able to put aside these feelings every time you eat a steak, hotdog, hamburger, chicken wings, etc, etc . . .?  To me people that say this sort of thing about hunting and then go grab a burger are the worst sort of hypocrite.  Let me list the answers I usually get from this question.

"But those animals are not wild so it's ok to kill them."

"But deer are so pretty.  Not like a cow or pig, they're ugly."

"A cow or pig is raised as food, it's different."

It's not any different.  They're just squeamish about being PART of the circle of life (yea, I know, corny).  As far as one animal being prettier than another, they base their belief of an animals right to live on how pretty it is??  How stupid is that?
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 5:22:52 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm like a lot of you.  When I was much younger I loved to hunt.  Later in life I liked putting holes in beer cans.  Today I put holes in paper.  Today, the only thing I enjoy killing is a fly...
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 5:30:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This poll needs some better worded questions.
You need to change the wording of the post.
The way the poll question is worded is ambiguous.
[:)]
View Quote

Well I'm glad it was not "Ambiguously Gay"![:O]

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:03:43 AM EDT
[#29]
I still enjoy bow hunting in Illinois and Pennsylvania but since I moved to TX six years ago I haven't got into paying >$1,000 for a lease gun/bow. Setting up protein and corn feeders, to me, is not much of a hunt so I don't.

I'm not knocking it, It's just not for me.

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:08:40 AM EDT
[#30]
I dont hunt deer, I cant stand the taste of venison, I do hunt varmits   Coyotes, prairie dogs
I would hunt deer if they would let me use it for baiting coyotes, cause that is about all venison is good for.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:11:05 AM EDT
[#31]
this is quite possibly the dumbest poll...ever
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:22:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Why don't I hunt? Because I can go to Vons, Albertsons, or Ralph's and get prepacked meat.
My brother in law dragged me on one of his hunts in Utah. Woke me up at 3am. It was freezing and I had to wear this ugly as hell orange jumpsuit thing. We got to our "spot" after 2 hours of driving. Then we sat in the freezing cold for a few more hours till some deer came across our path. He fired a shot and I took a picture. Then we had to drag this carcass back to the truck.

NOT MY IDEA OF AN IDEAL DAY.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:31:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:31:55 AM EDT
[#34]
What do you mean gays don't hunt? Hunting is nothing more than aggressive shopping.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:33:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Because hunting is "taking your gun for a walk".
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:37:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Maybe, when they arm the animals, it might get interesting....
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 9:01:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 9:19:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Id like to find out how many hunters would continue to hunt if the deer knew how to shoot back?
I think hunting is fine, if your taking the meat, but don't think its ok just for sport.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 9:42:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 9:51:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
but don't think its ok just for sport.
View Quote

I think most hunters would agree with that statement.
View Quote

I tend to agree with that.  I try to eat all I kill.

Quoted:

View Quote

hum..  I don't need to hunt, like you don't need an AR-15.

I want to.  Animals are not humans.

You are eaither for rights or againts them.  you want my hunting, I want your AR.

The whole fucking animal rights argument comes down to the bottom line that some animals are "cute" so they should not be killed.  The same warm and fuzzy don't hurt the animals people, will step on a bug just the same as I would shoot a deer.

the ONLY, absolute ONLY diference is that one is "cute" and one is not.  Even vegitabls are life, so to sit there with a holier than thou attitude eating veggies and not meat is a pile of bull shit too.  because its all life.  Just because its "cute" does not give it more rights than other life.

Because its it smart and can make guns and pickup trucks gives it more rights than other life.

maybe not a flame directly at you Da_Bunny.  but that quote just comes across as a "poor animals" statement

And I would like to say again that this poll was done in bad taste.  I have no problem with people that do not hunt.

I have a problem with people telling me that I should not.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:00:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Same reason as Raven...never hunted growing up & wouldn't know where to start.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:04:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:06:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Steyr,I agree that here are many stupid and unprincipled hunters.I kick them off my land often.But you can't judge us all because of some,even if those some are a majority.....which they (sloppy hunters) are not!You can say the same about a lot of groups,including FFL holders.[:D]

View Quote

BRAVO

Because that is what the Anti gunners do.  "Aw anyone who owns an AR-15 is a gun crazy anti-goverment KKK member"  FALSE

NOT everyone that hunts is an irisponsible ass whole. shooting at deer with machine guns for the sheer pleasure of death.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:09:29 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm truly glad that there's a lot of folks here that shoot, as well as other places, that don't hunt. None of you will get in my way while I am hunting. Cool.
As far as the folks that dismiss venison because of it's taste, they've never had venison prepared properly. It takes some work, and I can guarantee anyone here that DOES eat meat and doesn't like venison because of the taste that I can cook venison or elk and you'd eat it and not know the difference. It's all in the preparation. You can't be a lazy ass and just unwrap it, rinse it off and slap it on the grill. It takes work-just like hunting.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:20:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

hum..  I don't need to hunt, like you don't need an AR-15.

I want to.  Animals are not humans.

You are eaither for rights or againts them.  you want my hunting, I want your AR.

The whole fucking animal rights argument comes down to the bottom line that some animals are "cute" so they should not be killed.  The same warm and fuzzy don't hurt the animals people, will step on a bug just the same as I would shoot a deer.

the ONLY, absolute ONLY diference is that one is "cute" and one is not.  Even vegitabls are life, so to sit there with a holier than thou attitude eating veggies and not meat is a pile of bull shit too.  because its all life.  Just because its "cute" does not give it more rights than other life.

Because its it smart and can make guns and pickup trucks gives it more rights than other life.

maybe not a flame directly at you Da_Bunny.  but that quote just comes across as a "poor animals" statement

And I would like to say again that this poll was done in bad taste.  I have no problem with people that do not hunt.

I have a problem with people telling me that I should not.
View Quote

[b]mjohn3006:[/b] I didn't say a damn thing about what people should or shouldn't be doing. It was a personal question, I gave him my personal answer. I got a belly full of killing in Vietnam, so I get my red meat at the grocery store. I've killed, butchered and eaten horses that I used to ride and call by name. I've butchered a hog and eaten it's meat. I've eaten venison, moose and elk, all killed by hunters and salmon that I caught and cleaned myself.

[b]It's not about YOU at all![/b]

Your remarks are about all the baggage that [b]YOU[/b] have about the issue.

Try to take my ar15, you stupid fuck......
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:32:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Too much cost.  Too much paperwork.  Too much 'Man' in my life.  Not enough days off per year.  Not enough seasons to be any fun.

Look, waiting around for a whole year for the 3-5 days when our generous state allows us to kill deer with a shotgun just doesn't make me feel all tingly.  Bow hunting?  Screw that!  If we had a full month to nail 'em with a centerfire rifle, it might be worth the effort.  I want to hunt for food and not trophies or the challenge.

If I lived in a real state, I would definately hunt.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:37:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Because none of my friends or family hunted when I was growing up, and none of them do today.  So really, I dont know how to go about getting the permits, whathow to find game, or what to do with it one I kill it. I'd have to read a book, or shell out major cash to go with a guide who'd handle the details and logistics.
View Quote

Bingo. Same deal here.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:40:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I didn't say a damn thing about what people should or shouldn't be doing. It was a personal question, I gave him my personal answer. I got a belly full of killing in Vietnam, so I get my red meat at the grocery store. I've killed, butchered and eaten horses that I used to ride and call by name. I've butchered a hog and eaten it's meat. I've eaten venison, moose and elk, all killed by hunters and salmon that I caught and cleaned myself.

[b]It's not about YOU at all![/b]

Your remarks are about all the baggage that [b]YOU[/b] have about the issue.

Try to take my ar15, you stupid fuck......
View Quote

That is why I said that it may not be a flame directed exactly at you.  You made a statement that SOUNDED like ones anti hunting people throw around.  I was responding to the statment.

That exact statment of "arm the animals" is something I hear often, and it is illogical and pointless.  And I guess I do have a lot of "baggage" as you say about that issue.  Because I see it as my right, and I hate people trying to take my rights.  [b]As do you.[/b]

I used the AR as an example.  I have AR's you have AR's we all have AR's.

Editid to remove responding to being called a "stupid fuck".  No point to responding to that comment when you should be a friend.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:42:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Seeing a lot of the toothless, illiterate and drunk yokels that INFEST the big federal forests here in Missourah during deer season, bragging about all the giant elephant-sized 28-point deer they've killed in the past -  I'm wondering if some of the people who DO hunt, do so because of their small penis!  [;)]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top