Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2007 6:33:33 PM EDT
I know this is old news......but I honestly thought my local store was safe.

Everyone hunts in Maine and the Wal-Mart was less than two miles from the largest gun range in Maine......guess I should have know better.

They pulled them today. When I got home they featured it on the local news. They interviewed three people about it on the street.

One said it was a bad move....

The next said he did not care....

The third was a woman going on about how "there are a lot of people out there that shouldn't own guns...."

The news followed the announcement with a story about a woman whos son killed himself with a gun he bought from Wal-Mart.

It just makes me sick......In Maine for crying out loud!

Link Posted: 2/18/2007 6:38:06 PM EDT
[#1]
There are 4 Walmarts here and 3 of them have no guns.  It doesn't matter though as long as there are still real gunstores that don't try to rip you off.  Even those are getting few and far between these days.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 6:38:36 PM EDT
[#2]
This sucks for me because I buy all of my ammunition from them
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 6:44:56 PM EDT
[#3]
That's another good thing about living in Alabama. They are smart enough not to try taking the ammo or weapons from country folk.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 7:23:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
That's another good thing about living in Alabama. They are smart enough not to try taking the ammo or weapons from country folk.

Maine is still 80% forest. I thought we were safe. I guess I was just kidding myself. Portland is becoming such a liberal shithole.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 7:31:24 PM EDT
[#5]
do they still sell ammo there?
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 7:33:35 PM EDT
[#6]
They better not do that crap in Montana.  I bet there would be a lot of pissed of folks if they did
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 7:34:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Come on. How many of you ever bought a firearm at Walmart?
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 7:38:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I bought a 10/22 from there once.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 7:43:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I bought a 10/22 from there once.

Same here.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 7:47:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I've bought a stainless Ruger 77/22
three 870 12ga combos
one 870 20ga
two blued 10/22
two stainless 10/22

Link Posted: 2/18/2007 7:47:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Marlin 60 and a Mossberg 835 a LONG time ago.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 7:50:21 PM EDT
[#12]
10/22 ruger carbine

AND A HENRY BIG BOY 44MAG
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 7:52:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Bah. It was a rhetorical question; obviously, not enough of you are buying firearms (or enough firearms), for Walmart to consider it profitable enough to stock them.

Besides, to be cool, they should have retagged those firearms they sold. I have a Sears 20ga shotgun, and a pair of Sears .22LR rifles. (Retagged Browning and Marlin, I believe.)

Link Posted: 2/18/2007 7:52:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Our Walmarts in Kansas are still selling plenty of guns and ammo. Seen a Mini-14 at one lately.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 8:19:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

According to the Wally World folks in Alabama and Tennessee they are going to start pulling them out of the stores here in April.

I was told today that they never made any money on the guns, the money is in ammo and accessories. Supposedly the thought is that folks will continue to buy the ammo and accessories after the guns are gone.

I haven't bought a gun there in 10 years but I sure hate to see them go, it seems like another blow to shooting and hunting.

Link Posted: 2/18/2007 8:23:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Kinda old news, been about a year since the local Mart's had pulled the firearms. There is still a display in Brewer or Bangor Maine (I forget which one) that still stocks firearms, but they may be pulled too by the sounds of it.

They still got a good deal on ammo. Whats the current going rate for .45ACP per 100 at wal-mart these days?
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 8:25:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maine is still 80% forest. I thought we were safe. I guess I was just kidding myself. Portland is becoming such a liberal shithole.

Becoming???  It's been a liberal shithole for a quarter century or more, they are just being a little more blatant about it now.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 8:58:14 PM EDT
[#18]
They pulled the guns here but they kept the ammo
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 2:16:13 AM EDT
[#19]
I considered having walmart order a rifle once, after I heard that they would not handle any problems if the gun showed up destroyed I told them no thanks.  They honestly would not do anything if the box and gun showed up in several broken pieces.

I would have to take it and deal with the manufacturer or the shipper to figure things out.

And they wanted to be paid up front in full before ordering.

At least the guy telling me all this said he was sorry about it, he showed me in his book that all that was store policy.

My local walmart thinks they will keep their firearms but they have seen a big drop in ammo sales since they raised prices so I personally figure walmart is heading out of the ammo business.

My local gun store with a shooting range actually has range ammo at about walmarts price or lower.
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 2:43:23 AM EDT
[#20]
           The  W-marts near me now have gone that way but they were really only doing a half assed try at selling guns several years back. They had the gun case and the ammo shelves but they were half empty at any given time. The couple of times I tried to buy a gun they only had one person who could do the transaction and they were not available. They claimed to be droping the guns because they wanted to use the space to sell other more popular merchandise. About a year has gone by annd the gun case is still there with some odds and ends junk in it. The ammo section is there but the shelves are now 2/3 empty . In theory the Wall Mart firearms section was a gift from heaven,supposedly one could go on line and order case lots of ammo and all manor of firearms that were not usually stocked and then make arraingements to pick this stuff up at your local store. Delivery should have been cheep and easy as the delivery and supply routes to the store were all in place. In reallity  a setup that could have been  great never was,blame it on lack of management or lack of sales or whatever but I was never impressed with any of the local Wall marts
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 2:48:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 3:11:30 AM EDT
[#22]
never bought a firearm there about the only reason i go there is ammo is a little cheaper than gun stores .
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 3:18:38 AM EDT
[#23]
I didnt see guns at one of the Walmarts I normally go to when I was there this weekend.
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 3:19:25 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

According to the Wally World folks in Alabama and Tennessee they are going to start pulling them out of the stores here in April.

I was told today that they never made any money on the guns, the money is in ammo and accessories. Supposedly the thought is that folks will continue to buy the ammo and accessories after the guns are gone.

I haven't bought a gun there in 10 years but I sure hate to see them go, it seems like another blow to shooting and hunting.

So, you haven't bought a gun from Wal-Mart in 10 years and it is "another blow to shooting and hunting."

So, what is the blow to shooting and hunting?  Wal-Mart not stocking a product that its customers aren't buying or you not buying a gun there in 10 years, thus giving Wal-Mart a reason to stock guns?
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 3:26:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 3:32:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Will there be a clearance sale??
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 3:32:16 AM EDT
[#27]
I am more worried about them pulling ammo. It is hard to find cheaper range ammo than what you can get at Wal-Mart.
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 3:33:29 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

The one that was not carrying guns this weekend must not have had one or I missed it, Im in there 2 times a week normally.
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 3:40:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Meh, who the hell cares. I go to walmart for fruit snack not firearms
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 3:45:01 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

One less choice, also if I want something like a 10/22 I cant get it there for $189 anymore its go to gunstore and pay $249
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 4:04:39 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

One less choice, also if I want something like a 10/22 I cant get it there for $189 anymore its go to gunstore and pay $249

The last two standard blue 10/22s I bought were $169 each.

Link Posted: 2/19/2007 4:05:14 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The one that was not carrying guns this weekend must not have had one or I missed it, Im in there 2 times a week normally.

They don't clearance firearms.  

They ship them back to the manufacturer.

Link Posted: 2/19/2007 4:16:31 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A few years back I got some after hunting season cheap.
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 5:09:20 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That may be, but is that a sale price, or a clearance price?

Regarding the stores that have stopped carrying firearms,
all of the managers have told me that they aren't allowed to
put them on clearance.  

Link Posted: 2/19/2007 5:19:02 AM EDT
[#35]
I've never bought a single firearm from Wal-Mart.
Given the abandoned look of their gun counters, I'd say they're making the right move.
Why would anybody stay in a business where you aren't making sales?

BTW, every Wal-Mart that I've seen has retained their ammo, just not the guns.
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 5:23:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Did the sell them or just pull them and ship them off or something?
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 5:27:51 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

put them on clearance.  

All I know is they were half price
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 10:17:13 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

put them on clearance.  

Did you leave any behind?  
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 10:25:26 AM EDT
[#39]
they pulled all fireaarms here too
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 10:32:21 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Becoming???  It's been a liberal shithole for a quarter century or more, they are just being a little more blatant about it now.

Maine is hardly a liberal shithole. While the state generally votes blue and has two extremely RINO Senators, we're pretty good about leaving people be. Besides, according to the Brady Bunch, Maine has some of the worst gun control in the nation, so we can't be that bad!

Reading is fundamental. I agree, Portland itself is a liberal cesspool. The entire state is not bad though.
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 10:33:41 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

put them on clearance.  

Did you leave any behind?  

I didnt get all the single shot 22s or shotguns.  Made good gunshow trades, got more then I paid later
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 12:22:41 PM EDT
[#42]
They have been gone from most most Maryland for years.  Ammo is gone from some of the ghetto Walmarts but I still see it in 2 of the suburban stores I go to.  The big problem in Maine is that parts of the state are very isolated.  You might have to drive 2-3 hours to Bangor to find a decent sized gun store.  No idea if there is another place besides Walmart in Calais to buy guns.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 6:23:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Yet you can still find a Thompson Encore on their web site!!!!

Wal Mart link
I'm gonna pay for that one - I can just feel it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 11:28:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Bought a Marlin 17HMR there once - pain in my ass.  They still stock ammo though, which I like, along with some misc hunting supplements.  Otherwise, they never had a decent collection so of course nothing ever sold.

They should have vamped their firearms, instead they kept widdling down the quality until they were stocking nothing but junk.  It's tragic really.  I personally don't care about WalMart myself...but the principle of the matter is downright shameful.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:14:37 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Walmarts in the Columbia, SC area have clearanced firearms at various times, right down to the red and white clearance price labels on them. A few months ago, they were really clearing out a line of cheap Turkish made shotguns (under the Daly brand name) that had turned out to be dogs. They were cut by at least half the original prices.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top