Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2006 4:30:02 PM EDT
Well I have dodged the bullet long enough.  I was told today that I am no longer going to be an hourly employee, I have to switch over to salary.  Frankly I was able to bring down some bank in the overtime department.   But being that I travel so often they didn't want to pay me to sit on an airplane.  Oh well, as they say Someday this war's gotta end.  Hopefully the offer letter they are sending me will make up for my almost 20k worth of overtime.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:33:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:36:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm expecting the same thing soon. Hopefully they look at what my OT was and make a comparable offer.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:36:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool!  Every hourly worker knows that those lucky salaried bastages make tons-o-dough, plus get free back rubs and pony rides all the time!  Next comes the tracking implant.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:36:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Yup, they figured out how to pay you MORE money
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:39:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Cool!  Every hourly worker knows that those lucky salaried bastages make tons-o-dough, plus get free back rubs and pony rides all the time!

Actually I knew that being a technician and therefore an hourly employee was by far preferrable to my engineer (and therefore salaried) counterparts.  Simply due to the fact I am not afraid to work shitloads of overtime just to get the mission accomplished.

But due to the very very limited number of people that can do my job and a boss that watches my back, I expect a pretty generous offer letter.  I will only ask that it be retroactive till 1 Jan the day I started my new project.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:45:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Not to burst any bubbles but in my personal experience going from hourly to salary has its good and bad points.

I was hourly for many years (got paid for OT) then I got promoted and went salary (no pay for OT).

Yes - there was a commensurate pay increase however, I worked just as many OT hours(no compensation) and the difference worked out in the companys favor.

That being said I ended up with many other "perks" that salaried employees in our company get, and even with the OT thing I'd never want to go back to hourly again...

If you can get a few other perks on your new salary then I think you'll be good - otherwise the your company just found a way to "get-more-for-less"...

I really hope it works out good for you!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:50:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Well, I get paid for a 60 hour week when I am in the field (regular salary plus 20 hour straight time)  and since my bonus is based in my base salary, I should be coming out ahead oddly enough.

I may have to get a transferrable M-16 with my bonus next year.

God I love being 22.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:54:29 PM EDT
[#8]
good deal.  are there other benefits that come with salary (sick days, vacation, ect)
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:01:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I get paid for a 60 hour week when I am in the field (regular salary plus 20 hour straight time)  and since my bonus is based in my base salary, I should be coming out ahead oddly enough.

God I love being 22.

Yup, 22 is great

I hope you get a raise AND a full-auto
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:30:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

God I love being 22.

What kind of job are you in at 22 that gives you that kind of money? Or do you typically work 60+ hours a week which adds up fast?  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:52:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I do satellite communications field engineering.  Its mainly because of the clearance and partly because I know what the hell I am doing and work my ass off.  It's pretty good getting in on the ground floor of a developing company.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top