BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/25/2014 12:21:43 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:31:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Indiana sees number of flu deaths jump to 11

My Brother In Law got it, we thought we were going to lose him.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:38:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Indiana sees number of flu deaths jump to 11

My Brother In Law got it, we thought we were going to lose him.
View Quote

Happy he survived.   I see IN's cases are localized.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#3]
They don't mention age, but I hope all of us Old Farts here have gotten vaccinated, because that shit can carry you off.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:41:31 PM EDT
[#4]
One of those deaths here was a friend of mine uncle. He had a kidney transplant (iirc) a few years before and was having other minor health problems. He was fairly heathy when he got the flu, and his death was very unexpected. He died a few months ago. I'm unsure whether he was vaccinated or not.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:41:48 PM EDT
[#5]
1. The number doesn't mean anything until we know what % of all of them were vaccinated.

2. The number doesn't mean anything until we know the total people in Kern county.

3. The number doesn't mean anything until we know the total people in Kern county to get the flu.

4. The number doesn't mean anything until we know the health of the dead people before they got the flu.

Like saying that 3 Million signed up for Obamacare without reminding people that there are 330 million people.  Not a very big percent.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:46:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

They don't mention age, but I hope all of us Old Farts here have gotten vaccinated, because that shit can carry you off.

View Quote

yeah it helps but its not a sure thing, seems like they put all the flu viruses in a hat and pick out one to vaccinate. supposedly its the most common that year.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:46:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Flu shot is also only 62% effective and you need 85% effective and 100% of a population to be vaccinated to achieve herd immunity.

So basically, it can't happen.

Roll the dice, shot or no shot your chances are about the same.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:50:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
1. The number doesn't mean anything until we know what % of all of them were vaccinated.

2. The number doesn't mean anything until we know the total people in Kern county.

3. The number doesn't mean anything until we know the total people in Kern county to get the flu.

4. The number doesn't mean anything until we know the health of the dead people before they got the flu.

Like saying that 3 Million signed up for Obamacare without reminding people that there are 330 million people.  Not a very big percent.
View Quote

1. None of the 13 dead were vaccinated.   That would equate to 0%.

2. Total population of the county is ~1,000,000

3. I can't answer the third question.

4. They were reported to be otherwise healthy and neither children nor elderly.  A hallmark of H1N1.

The numbers certainly meant something to the thirteen dead.  They all died of acute respiratory distress, a hallmark of H1N1.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:51:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Flu shot is also only 62% effective and you need 85% effective and 100% of a population to be vaccinated to achieve herd immunity.

View Quote

Hi, Jenny!
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:52:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I know of two people who have died suddenly from it. I think a lot more people are dying than is actually being reported by the CDC. The government probably doesn't want to create mass panic if the truth actually was out how many people are suddenly dying. The one lady who died was only 44 she was fine on Thursday got sick on Friday the family took her to the hospital Saturday she died Sunday. The other lady she died quick too.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:56:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The one lady who died was only 44 she was fine on Thursday got sick on Friday the family took her to the hospital Saturday she died Sunday. The other lady she died quick too.
View Quote

That is very typical of H1N1.   I'll bet she died from respiratory distress.   Also, I'll bet she wasn't vaccinated.   A healthy and robust immune system over reacts, and the patient drowns in lung fluids.

Poor woman, I'm sure she'll be missed.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 1:00:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I haven't died from the flu yet. Until I do, I'll skip the shot.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 1:01:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

1. None of the 13 dead were vaccinated.   That would equate to 0%.  What % of the 92 were vaccinated?

4. They were reported to be otherwise healthy and neither children nor elderly.  A hallmark of H1N1.

The numbers certainly meant something to the thirteen dead.  They all died of acute respiratory distress, a hallmark of H1N1.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. None of the 13 dead were vaccinated.   That would equate to 0%.  What % of the 92 were vaccinated?

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 1:02:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I went and got vaccinated two weeks ago.  Didn't cost a dime.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 1:03:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep and in case you are wondering I also won't be letting them inject me with the plague either
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 1:23:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can find out Monday.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 1:42:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 1:48:50 PM EDT
[#18]
My wife, my daughter who still lives at home, and I got vaccinated in October. My daughter and I both had the flu.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 1:50:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My wife, my daughter who still lives at home, and I got vaccinated in October. My daughter and I both had the flu.
View Quote

Same here... except I have it right now.

The OP is clueless, as the flu shot is a guess on the strains that may emerge in the next flu season. This year, they missed this strain. I wish they would have covered it, as it may be as bad as the H1N1 I had a few years ago.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 1:54:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

100% of them did not receive the flu vaccine.  That's really the only relevant statistic.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 1:54:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

yeah it helps but its not a sure thing, seems like they put all the flu viruses in a hat and pick out one to vaccinate. supposedly its the most common that year.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The mist was quadravalent (immunized against four strains) and the shot was trivalent this year.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 1:56:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The OP is clueless, as the flu shot is a guess on the strains that may emerge in the next flu season. This year, they missed this strain. I wish they would have covered it, as it may be as bad as the H1N1 I had a few years ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure they have ever guessed  the strain.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:07:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

100% of them did not receive the flu vaccine.  That's really the only relevant statistic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

100% of the 92?  The people that died, why didn't they get the vaccine, out of choice, previous health problems.  What if the 13 that died were also the only ones that smoked?  Statistics are complicated Lots of factors before jumping on the vaccines are the best bandwagon.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:20:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Really?  A vaccination thread?  I swear arfcom is becoming facebook where hand wringing soccer moms post articles and get in fights about vaccines, disciplining kids, and abortion.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:21:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Here's a question for the OP:  Did this year's flu vaccine protect against the H1N1 strain, which is the strain that is killing people?
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:21:52 PM EDT
[#26]
both jenny mccarthy and paulbots say vaccinations are bad, so i avoid them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:23:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Here's a question for the OP:  Did this year's flu vaccine protect against the H1N1 strain, which is the strain that is killing people?
View Quote

No because this year's H1N1 strain is different from last years. Every year, viruses mutate to adapt to attempts to kill them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:36:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough.

What did I post that was false?  Please be specific.

What strains were included in the 2013/2014 vaccine.  Please be specific.

What strain is killing these otherwise healthy people?  Please be specific.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:41:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Fair enough.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough.

False doesn't mean clueless. There is a difference

Here is what was in the trivalent shot-
The 2013-2014 trivalent influenza vaccine is made from the following three viruses:
•an A/California/7/2009 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus;
•an A(H3N2) virus antigenically like the cell-propagated prototype virus A/Victoria/361/2011;
•a B/Massachusetts/2/2012-like virus.

As for what killed those 13, you would have to ask your local health district. Our cases were all linked to the H1N1 strain, which is different than what is in the vaccine.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:47:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Influenza A (H3N2), 2009 influenza A (H1N1), and influenza B viruses have all been identified in the U.S. this season. To date, influenza A (H1N1) viruses have predominated. This is the H1N1 virus that emerged in 2009 to cause a pandemic. 2009 H1N1 viruses have continued to circulate among people since that time, but this is the first season that the virus has circulated at such high levels since the pandemic. During the week of January 12-18, 2,707 of the 2,793 influenza-positive tests reported to CDC were influenza A viruses and 86 were influenza B viruses. Of the 1,785 influenza A viruses that were subtyped, 3.2% were H3 viruses and 96.8% were 2009 H1N1 viruses.

Influenza Virus Strains in the 2013-2014 Vaccines
A/California/7/2009 (H1N1)-like
A/Victoria/361/2011 (H3N2), or its antigenic equivalent
B/Massachusetts/2/2012-like (Yamagata lineage)

View Quote

I fail to see where they "missed it", Doctor.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:50:53 PM EDT
[#31]
It kicked my ass BAD..........I will get a flu shot from here on out
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:55:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Well, here are 13 that didn't get vaccinated. So far.
View Quote

A flu shot isn't going to do them any good now.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:59:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Looks like they got the vaccine correct this year.
798 out of 799:

Antigenic Characterization*
CDC has antigenically characterized 799 influenza viruses [711 2009 H1N1 viruses, 72 influenza A (H3N2) viruses, and 16 influenza B viruses] collected by U.S. laboratories since October 1, 2013 by hemagglutination inhibition (HI).

2009 H1N1 [711]:

710 (99.8%) of 711 2009 H1N1 viruses tested were characterized as A/California/7/2009-like, the influenza A (H1N1) component of the 2013-2014 Northern Hemisphere influenza vaccine. One (0.2%) virus showed reduced titers with antiserum produced against A/California/7/2009.

Influenza A (H3N2) [72]:

All 72 influenza A (H3N2) viruses tested have been characterized as A/Texas/50/2012-like, the influenza A (H3N2) component of the 2013-2014 Northern Hemisphere influenza vaccine.
Influenza B [16]: Nine (56%) of the 16 influenza B viruses tested belong to B/Yamagata/16/88-lineage and the remaining seven (44%) influenza B viruses tested belong to B/Victoria/02/87 lineage.

Yamagata Lineage [9]: Nine influenza B/Yamagata-lineage viruses were characterized as B/ Massachusetts/2/2012-like, which is included as an influenza B component of the 2013-2014 Northern Hemisphere trivalent and quadrivalent influenza vaccines.
Victoria Lineage [7]: Seven influenza B/Victoria-lineage viruses were characterized as B/Brisbane/60/2008-like, which is included as an influenza B component of the 2013-2014 Northern Hemisphere quadrivalent influenza vaccine.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:03:37 PM EDT
[#34]
FYI-  

The health department is categorizing all of these reported deaths and hospitalizations under the banner "influenza-like illness," because they are suspected flu cases that have not all been confirmed.
View Quote

http://www.bakersfieldnow.com/news/local/Kern-County-reports-12th-and-13th-flu-related-deaths-241907261.html

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Really?  A vaccination thread?  I swear arfcom is becoming facebook where hand wringing soccer moms post articles and get in fights about vaccines, disciplining kids, and abortion.
View Quote

ITS FOR THE CHILDREN!!
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:06:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The mist was quadravalent (immunized against four strains) and the shot was trivalent this year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I loathe the mist. I always got an URI every damn time I received it. I'm always happy to take the shot instead which never gives me a reaction.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:07:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Except for the fact that if you get the flu shot and still get the flu you are likely to have a milder case since your immune system has already been primed.

In a year with a particularly deadly strain of flu going around that can make all the difference in the world.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:07:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
both jenny mccarthy and paulbots say vaccinations are bad, so i avoid them.
View Quote

Now that the truth is out they have to spread autism through GMO devil corn.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#39]
A good friend of mine was vaccinated and got infected with the flu anyhow. He's been in the ICU for weeks. It happens
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:09:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

You haven't died in a car crash either ...... so you're skipping seat belts as well I assume?

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:11:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Hi, Jenny!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi, Jenny!

We also have to take Mexico and illegal migrants into consideration. If your concern is genuine, you'd want us to pay for their vaccinations as well. But the truth is that you're a busybody that wants to tell others how to manage their healthcare. You must love Obamacare.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:15:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You haven't died in a car crash either ...... so you're skipping seat belts as well I assume?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only reason I wear one is to shut my car up. Stupid beeps and warning lights.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:19:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Fuck that! No flu shot here.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:20:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

We also have to take Mexico and illegal migrants into consideration. If your concern is genuine, you'd want us to pay for their vaccinations as well. But the truth is that you're a busybody that wants to tell others how to manage their healthcare. You must love Obamacare.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi, Jenny!

According to the CDC, the flu shot reduces your chances of getting the flu by 70 - 90%.  If you are in the 70 - 90%, herd immunity isn't an issue for you personally.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:27:41 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I went and got vaccinated two weeks ago.  Didn't cost a dime.
View Quote

This quote and your avatar.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Op is using the death of people he doesn't even now as means to gloat about himself and the fucked up belief that he knows what he's talking about.

The actions of a bottom feeder right there.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:37:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Fuck that! No flu shot here.
View Quote

Super dumb.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:38:54 PM EDT
[#48]
DFW is up to 50. Some DID have the vaccine this year.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:40:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Age 63 here and I can't do flu shots, an egg allergy thing.

same for the wife.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:40:13 PM EDT
[#50]
8 in Santa Clara Valley.

Fuck this place.

yay. I get to sit in an airplane with these sick bastards.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top