Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2005 8:39:40 AM EDT
Several years ago, I worked as a contractor for a multi-national IT corporation. During that time I mentored a new employee of that company, and we became really good friends. We stayed in touch after I left my contracting job there, and when he heard about another contract opportunity with the same company he contacted me about it. I applied, he put in the good word for me with his manager and I was hired as a contractor. Well, now our manager is indicating that he'd like to try and bring me in as an employee. I don't have an offer yet or anything, but the manager is supposedly starting the wheels in motion.

Here's the problem, according to my friend the pay scale for this position is about 50% what I make as a contrator and only about 55% of what I have made as an employee of other companies that I have worked for. That kind of cut is obviously out of the question. I'm not jumping to any conclusions until I have seen an offer, but if it comes out where my friend suggested it will then there's just no way. I know that my friend isn't going to take this well either. He is in a leadership role (not a manger though), and he has been (on his own, not at my prompting) trying to get the manager to find a way to bring me in. I know he's going to be upset if I turn down an offer.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:41:34 AM EDT
[#1]
he would be a moron if he gets mad after they offer you a 50% pay cut and you turn it down
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:43:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
he would be a moron if he gets mad after they offer you a 50% pay cut and you turn it down

Exactamundo!

What is he expecting? That you're penniless and unemployed?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:43:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Just say "I work for money"

That should all there is to it......if he is really your friend.

ETA.....wtf is the deal with my avatar........sometimes a pink ribbon sometimes my old one?????
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:45:37 AM EDT
[#4]
+1  

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:46:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Just say "I work for money"

That should all there is to it......if he is really your friend.

ETA.....wtf is the deal with my avatar........sometimes a pink ribbon sometimes my old one?????

If your old one is a .jpg and your new one is a .gif, both will be stored in the photo server. Whichever one is the current one in your profile when you post, that is the one that will be displayed.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:46:53 AM EDT
[#6]
A 50% cut after getting nailed by your apartment dicks for $.40?  I don't think so.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:47:19 AM EDT
[#7]
A true friend would not be upset if you turn down a 50% pay cut.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:50:18 AM EDT
[#8]
just make sure and compare the entire packages offered.  Look at health insurance, 401K enrollment, PTO offered, etc...

While 50% is too much of a paycut IMHO, a small decrease in pay could be worth it if your benefits are badass

EPOCH.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:01:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
just make sure and compare the entire packages offered.  Look at health insurance, 401K enrollment, PTO offered, etc...

While 50% is too much of a paycut IMHO, a small decrease in pay could be worth it if your benefits are badass

EPOCH.  

+1

Good advice, that.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:03:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

EPOCH.  

I've taken that into account, and yes I think that 20-25% cut would be accecptable given the benefits that this compay offers. But for me, another 25% to fit into their pay scale is a huge drop. A HUGE drop.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:06:05 AM EDT
[#11]
You have to look to your own best interest. Surely he will see that. Bottom line is money talks and BS walks.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:09:58 AM EDT
[#12]
What kind of friend would expect you to take ANY pay cut?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:19:29 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Whichever one is the current one in your profile when you post, that is the one that will be displayed.

Not true......it shows ONLY the pink ribbon.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:02:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Part of the reason that Consultants are paid more than employees is, as mentioned, the TOTAL compensation package.

A nice benefits package runs around 50-60% of base pay.  Consultants are more or less expected to pick up all those "benefits" themselves, and they don't get them at the individual rate.  And a lot of time consultants only work 9-10 months a year.

At the end of the year, if the consultant is paying for medical insurance, group term insurance, into his own retirement plans, etc, etc., his final money in pocket is probably not all that far away from what a well paid professional in his field is making.

That said, a heck of a lot of consultants/contractors kind of don't put maybe as much into retirements as maybe they should.  Talk to guys who were in the ME/Design/Drafting fields when CAD came in, suddenly the market for contract board guys who didn't "do CAD" dried up quickly and a lot of guys were hung out to dry
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top