Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/14/2005 4:34:41 PM EDT
Just got home to a note telling me I've been robbed with a detectives phone number. Apparently some 19 year old kid busted out the window in the back door when nobody was home, seems he was selective too. He took my Playstation, an SKS & my 1911 that I keep by the bed (all my others are in the safe). Luckily he was stupid and decided to play with the .45 when he got home, he put a round into the floor and one into the wall apparently narrowly missing the neighbors who were home (duplex).

He got busted (on theft & reckless endangerment), I get my stuff back tomorrow and thank God nobody was hurt... could have been worse, I can look at this as a wakeup call but damn it feels really shitty to be violated like this.

Anyone ever prosecuted in a case like this? I'm not really sure what to do ATM.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:36:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:37:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Hope they don't try to come after you for recless endangerment.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:37:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds more like you were burglarized, but that's another deal.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, but it's good you're getting all your stuff back. Unless, of course, they decide to keep your pistol for "evidence."

Could have gone a lot worse, you know.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:39:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Sounds more like you were burglarized, but that's another deal.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, but it's good you're getting all your stuff back. Unless, of course, they decide to keep your pistol for "evidence."

Could have gone a lot worse, you know.

Already talked to the detective, he's bringing the stuff by tomorrow. I guess they got a full confession so they don't need it.

ETA: Changed the title
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:39:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm sorry you were burglarized. Now, for some tough love...

Why the FUCK did you leave unsecured weapons in your house when you went out?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:40:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Guess what, So did I, I just filled my truck up. ,
Sorry to hear about yours, At least your getting your items back,
when my garage got broke into they nailed me for about $ 11K of tools,
only recovered $2800.00 from the insurance company, just file
a claim for what you lossed and for the damage. but it sounds like
all your going to have is damage, your deductable is probally more.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:43:38 PM EDT
[#7]
We don't have a big problem with that here.  It could be that they are afraid of the local gun owners.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:45:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Seriously, do you not like your SKS and 1911?? I will take them if you dont care cause leaving them unattended and all alone is GUN ABUSE! Feel lucky it went this way and nobody was killed by that fool. Lessons learned the hard way are easiest to learn.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:47:38 PM EDT
[#9]
tag
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:49:20 PM EDT
[#10]
You got BURGLARIZED, not robbed.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:49:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:52:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

They wern't unsecured, they were locked in his house.  The jackass broke into the locked house and un-secured  them.

Right.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:54:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

They wern't unsecured, they were locked in his house.  The jackass broke into the locked house and un-secured  them.

+1
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:56:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

All but those two are in a safe. The 1911 is in my nightstand and the sks was in a case under my bed (no room in the safe for it). How is it unsecured when it's inside a locked house?

ETA: I WILL be getting something more secure for them now.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Right.

So everything you dont want stolen, you lock up in a safe? That must be a big ass safe
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:59:03 PM EDT
[#16]
He will be prosecuted, but there's always the liberal judge that slaps them on the wrist. Probably a waste of time, just find the guy and beat his ass for what he's done. I've been robbed burgularized a few times in my life, it's truly a horrible feeling, thank God no one was home(wife, children etc).

At least the police found the bastard who did it, and no one was hurt in the process.

edit for correct crime(Thanks Lumpy196)
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:59:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Were they in plain sight?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:00:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Practice safe gun storage.

If you aren't going to carry it with you, lock it up inside something that can't be carried off easily.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:01:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

All but those two are in a safe. The 1911 is in my nightstand and the sks was in a case under my bed (no room in the safe for it). How is it unsecured when it's inside a locked house?

ETA: I WILL be getting something more secure for them now.

Here's hoping you don't find out how should someone still be in your home with them as you return. I think that could be a classic example of "irony." You might at least invest in a couple of trigger locks to disable them when you are away. PITA, but at least you won't eat your own lead sandwich.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:07:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Glad to hear the piece of scum thief is behind bars!
Excellent you get all your stuff back!
I love a happy ending!

Something like this must have hit the newspapers...GOT A LINK?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:07:59 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Right.

So everything you dont want stolen, you lock up in a safe? That must be a big ass safe

Nope, just loaded firearms. Leaving loaded firearms sprinkled about your home unsecured (and that's exactly what they are regardless of the invisible bubble some people think exists around their house) is just plain stupid. You're asking for some meth user to pop you with your own weapon, just as an example. Burglaries happen in the best areas.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:09:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I love a happy ending!

This happened today, how could it already have hit the paper???  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:22:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Just be ready to read about yourself in the newspaper as someone that had 2 guns stolen from your house.  I was broken in to several years ago and was highly displeased to see my local paper advertise the fact" Firearms Stolen". I called them and complained, but the police blotter is public information. They did not give out the full house  address but the block I resided at only had 2 residental homes and the rest was offices. I really apreciated the fact they helped narrow down the targets for future breakins.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:25:14 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I love a happy ending!

This happened today, how could it already have hit the paper???  

Some local papers selectively report the crime. I know for a fact that over here the only time a crime concerning a firearm is reported is when they can demonize the weapon in some way. Since yours wasn't used to kill, or they didn't find 'illegal' machine guns, or a huge arsenal, don't count on it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:28:20 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Dude!!!

Would you cheer if DiFi successfully produced legislation requiring government approved security measures for private firearms.  It almost sounds like it...

It's a value judgement...  My good stuff is in the safe, but I have a few that don't get that honor.  I'd rather have them available when needed, and risk the low cost loss if they were taken when I was not home...

An SKS and a 1911 are easily replacable.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:32:48 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Were they in plain sight?

no, they were in a house!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:34:54 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Dude!!!

Would you cheer if DiFi successfully produced legislation requiring government approved security measures for private firearms.  It almost sounds like it...

No, of course not. I think this misinterpretation of what I'm saying is the issue that's causing a failure to communicate here. I'm not talking politics here. I'm speaking from a security standpoint.

I withdraw all my previous comments. Disregard.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:40:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Right.

Technically David is correct.

However criminals force us to assume greater and greater levels of "secured." There was once a time that just putting them IN your home was enough. Then you had to actually lock the doors. Now you need to lock them up while INSIDE your locked home.

In 100 years from now somebody will be getting shit for not having them behind the proper laser grid and it will be their fault for not doing it.

That said it is generally a good idea to secure them as much as possible. Doesn't matter if you should HAVE to over secure them when your stuff is taken.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:41:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Good you got your stuff back and no one got hurt, but  you should have a daytime hiding place for your pistol when you're not home.    I keep mine in my bedstand at night, but slip it into a clever hidey hole in my livingroom every morning when I leave the house.

Even putting it in a cold air return duct if the grill lifts off easily, will keep it hidden from most burglars.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:49:41 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

This is the same logic that makes it illegal for me to start my car to warm up in the winter.
If it is freezing outside, and I start my car and run back into the house so I don't freeze,
and someone steals the car when I'm not looking, I get into a lot of trouble too.

Why?  Because people like you want to punnish the public for making it easy for someone ELSE
to commit a crime.  

I have firearms scattered throughout the house.
None are locked.  All are loaded.  One is right here on my desk, 4 inches from my right hand.
They are insured.  If they get stolen, they get replaced.

But then none are antique, hard to replace, or have sentimental value.  
They are modern and relatively inexpensive.
Rem870, Ruger 44, Glocks, etc.  No Kimbers or Weatherbys.

Better to have them readily accessable if needed, then to have to run to the safe to get it.

When the young neice and nephew visit, they are ALL locked away.
Otherwise, I'm never more than a couple feet away from protection.
More importantly, the WIFE is never more than a couple feet away.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:52:52 PM EDT
[#31]
So the dumbfuck was not only stupid enough to dick around with the 1911 and put a bullet in his house, but stupid enough to do it TWICE?

Too bad he didn't remove himself from the gene pool in the process.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:57:18 PM EDT
[#32]
So, are you upgrading the home security? IE, put in a real door at the back, not one with a window, with a deadbolt, armored strike plate, and reinforcing plates around the lock?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:03:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:04:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Ignore the trolls. What would they say if your Homack safe was broken into? "Dude, you should have secured those weapons!"

Locked in a house is secured. Glad you got your weapons back.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:06:42 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
So, are you upgrading the home security? IE, put in a real door at the back, not one with a window, with a deadbolt, armored strike plate, and reinforcing plates around the lock?

I've been going over my options all night, maybe replace the glass with acrylic or something? Low mounted deadbolts... I'm open to ideas.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:07:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Here is what you need to do to have a place to stash your pistol when your gone.

Get nice thick book and bind the pages togehter. Then make a cut out for your gun. Get you about four to five other books of the same size and some book ends. Find some nice decorative scholarly looking books, something that would look like a decorative book in a living room but not out of place in your house. When you are gone stash the gun in the book in your lving room.

You can build a false bottom for trash cans and for linnein baskets and hide it there. You can also stash them in the entry to the attic crawl space too.

Or you can mount up a little rack in the in the back of your toilet and put your peice in a tupper ware container and stash it there when you leave.

Oh and I would get a big bad ass dog, like a nice APBT or a Rottie. Or a Boxer if you have kids. Get the ears done and tail done, you want them to have the guard dog look.  Never teach him any bite apprehension and let him bark when ever somone comes on your property or to the door. He wont need to bite everyone all the time but his size and agressiveness will help scare away the punks.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:10:24 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've been going over my options all night, maybe replace the glass with acrylic or something? Low mounted deadbolts... I'm open to ideas.

Seriously, replace the door with a solid core steel door. If you can't, put up tough steel grating on the inside.

When (not if) you put in deadbolts, put in the reinforcing around the lock, and put in an armoured strike plate.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:11:09 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Ignore the trolls. What would they say if your Homack safe was broken into? "Dude, you should have secured those weapons!"

Locked in a house is secured. Glad you got your weapons back.

Big +1

some of these guys will be calling for your prosecution.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:11:48 PM EDT
[#39]
german shepard

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nuff' Said
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:23:23 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
german shepard
Nuff' Said

I used to have a Shepherd. Trust me, I've been thinking all night "this never would have happened if we still had her". The only reason I don't have one now is that I'm afraid it will eat my ferret... though that doesn't seem as big a deal right now. Maybe I can give the ferret to my brother.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:29:23 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
german shepard
Nuff' Said

I used to have a Shepherd. Trust me, I've been thinking all night "this never would have happened if we still had her". The only reason I don't have one now is that I'm afraid it will eat my ferret... though that doesn't seem as big a deal right now. Maybe I can give the ferret to my brother.

Unless your ferret can stop your home from being ripped off I say feed the Shep
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:10:03 PM EDT
[#42]
I agree with the desirability of having firearms locked up in a container.

But legally someone’s home should be considered secure – period.

Putting the blame for a theft on the home-owner is really risky logic that could ultimately be used against all gun owners.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:14:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Possible future solutions, summarized:

1)  Maybe a new dog (try a lab rather than a shepard, rot, etc., personal opinion here)
2) Home security system with ability to call/page yourself and law enforcement.
3) Another safe/locker, no matter how inexpensive, to store your extra firearms
4) A easy access handgun safe (or two) for quick secure loaded handgun storage around the house.
5) Reinforcement of exterior doors.

Sorry to hear of your violation.  I know how it is to be burglarized.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:22:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Its always a trade-off to having them secured in your home v. accessable around the house.  The one prevents theft and the other can save you from a sudden attack.  I don't think we should jump on someone because they chose a different point on the spectrum than you might.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:24:03 PM EDT
[#45]
My dad's house was burglarized twice, no one was ever busted for it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:35:11 PM EDT
[#46]

AT least they caught him!!! They caught two asshats breaking into my car... its just bad that they already ripped out my speakers and had it in their vehicle so it was held as evidence.

The other times my vehicles were broken into ... NOTHING. My tools were stolen... GONE!

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:41:43 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
...Anyone ever prosecuted in a case like this? I'm not really sure what to do ATM.

Depends on state law, though I wouldn’t think it’d be a problem for you in TN.

Plus no one was hurt anyway.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:43:34 PM EDT
[#48]
You may need an Attourney.
I'd seek legal council.
CYOA

myit
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:45:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Many of you have completely missed the point about keeping them locked up.  The burglered guy wasn't home when it happened so there is no issue about him not being able to get them or having to run to the safe if there were an emergency.    If you aren't home, what logical reason is there to not lock them up?  There isn't.  The fact that you shouldn't have to because people shouldn't break into your house is irrelevent.  People do break into peoples houses.  Wishing it wasn't true doesn't make it go away.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:04:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top