Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/23/2005 10:59:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/23/2005 1:15:11 PM EDT by roboman]
Howdy y'all. There's a new member to the Nikon family of photographers. I've been looking at DSLRs for the past 4 months and finally went into Ritz Camera to check out a few. I looked at the Canon Digital Rebel and the Rebel XT and wasn't a big fan of the size of the camera. I tried a D50 after that and it just didn't feel right. Held the D70 and it just felt absolutely great.

Also came with a $100 rebate so in the end I got the kit with the body and f/3.5-4.5G DX lens plus a 1GIG highspeed CF card for $1,300 out the door. A bit expensive for a college student like me but I have enough in my checking (enough to drain it completely that is) to cover it.

Right now the battery is charging up and I can't wait to put this into action! I'll be back later with a few shots.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:04:10 AM EDT
Woof! Rock on, roboman! Congratulations, and look forward to some cool photos. It's all about the glass.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:06:39 AM EDT
I'm really considering the Digitial Rebel or Rebel XT right now. I've used a Canon EOS since '92-'93 so the Digital versions seem like lightweights compared to the old film versions.

How much was the 1GB memory card?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:07:24 AM EDT
LUCKYYYYY
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:07:28 AM EDT
Good choice. I got a D70s and love it. There is a DVD that you can pick up that will take you through all of the ins and outs of the camera and believe me there are a lot. It is a lot easier to follow than the owner's manual. Have fun!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:08:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SHIVAN:
I'm really considering the Digitial Rebel or Rebel XT right now. I've used a Canon EOS since '92-'93 so the Digital versions seem like lightweights compared to the old film versions.

How much was the 1GB memory card?

$130. Made by Lexar. Claims to do 6.0MB/sec. There was an $80 model that held 1 gig but its advertised speed was 1.8MB/sec.

I had been leaning toward a 20D myself, but the cost was way too much and I figured I could always go for it later if I have a knack for photography. There was nothing wrong with the Digital Rebel or the XT by any means. I just have meaty man mittens so I needed something with some size to it, and the D70 fit the bill.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:10:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Quantum77:
Good choice. I got a D70s and love it. There is a DVD that you can pick up that will take you through all of the ins and outs of the camera and believe me there are a lot. It is a lot easier to follow than the owner's manual. Have fun!

Also a guy name of Peter iNova puts out a disc available here for many digital cameras including the D70.

He's helped me wring a lot of good pictures out of my two digital cameras (a Coolpix 950 and a CP 5700) and unless you're a pro, I think his disc could help you too.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:11:12 AM EDT
I've had the DReb 300D for almost 2 years now. I love it but I am ready to upgrade.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:15:10 AM EDT
Hmm...I wonder what my inaugural shot should be.....
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:18:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By roboman:

When come back bring {pictures of} pie.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:22:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By napalm:

Battery isn't done charging yet so I got some time to think.

Ritz Camera also added a bunch of cool stuff. Free admission to all of their photography classes, a three 1-year Subscriptions to 3 different photography magazines, and a bunch of other stuff!

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:14:11 PM EDT
Well, the battery is charged and I've been playing with it for a while. This thing is freakin' awesome!

Here's a quick shot of took in an attempt to look faux-artsy abstract "this represents my inner child on Creatine".

No attempt to be a photographic genius in this shot.

Downsized a good 75% to preserve 56K's chastity.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:14:41 PM EDT
Just upgraded the firmware to the most recent version without any problems. Very cool camera!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:38:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By napalm:

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:46:48 PM EDT

[squatdog] why a FULL POWER shot... [/squatdog]

Welcome to the Nikon family (Nikon US customer support, should you ever need it, is excellent btw.

www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi is worth burning a few hours on how to get the most out of your new camera.

Wait till you start getting extra lenses for it...

Top Top