Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2010 12:20:13 PM EDT
North Carolina sucks for licensing a firearm related business, taxes suck, most CLEOs suck, weather (IMHO) sucks (too hot and humid), and all my family is in Montana.

So I'm foing to Montana, Freedom of Firearms act, suing federal entities, the two largest privately owned ammo manufacturing companies in the USA within 7 miles (HSM, BVAC) my new shop site (1000 sq foot shop with existing 220), high altitude, sunny summers, skiing in winter, fishing, lakes, hunting, 1000+ yard range all withing a 15 min drive.

I "sold" (gave away) the Cobras Customs name along with the related business account to my biz partner in North Carolina.  (Everything on good terms and we will both be referring people to each other for work, he is more a Saiga/AK guy, I'm more an AR guy.)

Now I need to come up with a new business name to go with all the paperwork I'm filling out for Montana small business, the ATF etc and the business account I'll be setting up here on ARFCOM.  

I'm also working on working on toning down some of my more controversial rhetoric with mixed success.  (Trolling Magpul and bashing LR-308s )

A couple ideas.

Fox Custom Firearms (Fox was a nickname I had while deployed to Iraq 03-04)

ATA for Aaron Thiel Arms (A simple symmetrical abbreviation that would be easy to put into a logo, I'm leaning more this way as most people seem to prefer simple engravings on weapons)

To any "artist" who might be interested, I need a logo that would be easy to engrave, roll stamp etc on steel, aluminum, wood plastic, etc.  (I'd pay for the rights to use a logo I like)
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 12:21:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Aiming for the Bitterroot valley or somewhere else?
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 12:22:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I like Fox Custom Firearms, it would make a pretty cool rollmark.

Plus you'd have a large body of clientele to market too, furries....

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 12:24:15 PM EDT
[#3]
A lot of ATA and Fox Custom in various forms out there already.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 12:25:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Stevensville, right near the Airport, shop is on Foxy Lane.

It's easy to spot on google maps.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 12:26:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Think ahead.  MTAR.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 12:27:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Welcome HOME!!

Always nice to see someone bring business into this anti-business state.  

Also about the only way one can get a job here too, bring your business with you.

But hey if NY can attract business Montana isn't that bad.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 12:29:32 PM EDT
[#7]
FOX ONE

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 12:30:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Goose Guns?

Furry Firearms?

Fo-Time Forties?

The Dungslinger's Hideout?

Heavy Six Shooters?
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 12:33:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stevensville, right near the Airport, shop is on Foxy Lane.

It's easy to spot on google maps.

Funny, I almost purchased some property on Foxy!! Love the area and plenty to do.

Found a nicer spot in Florence. Still debating on retiring there.

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 12:33:41 PM EDT
[#10]
If come up with a logo.... Can you agree to let me be part owner of the buisness....
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 12:35:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Fox use to be a shotgun manufacture in the 1930's.  I have one that was handed down to me by my grandfather.  A Sterlingworth as a matter of fact.  

Just an FYI.  Good luck with your move and new business venture.

bigohio
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 12:54:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

LMFAO
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 1:04:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Welcome HOME!!

Always nice to see someone bring business into this anti-business state.  

Also about the only way one can get a job here too, bring your business with you.

But hey if NY can attract business Montana isn't that bad.

I don't think there is much anti-business about the state other than there isn't much "in state" market.  You have to offer goods/services to people outside the state to make $.

I've done about 95% of the work I do for out of state customers so far, moving to Montana won't change that, except that people on the west coast will pay half what they do now for shipping.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 1:11:08 PM EDT
[#14]
So, Moving to Montana, eh?

gonna raise you up a crop of dental floss?
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 1:20:26 PM EDT
[#15]
are you manufacturing or just a fun shop?
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 1:22:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Manufacturing, but a local fun shop would like to "team up" so they have a dedicated gunsmith.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 1:36:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

LMFAO

Son of a bitch......the libs always said what would happen if deer could shoot back...guess we better show em this.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 1:37:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Manufacturing, but a local fun shop would like to "team up" so they have a dedicated gunsmith.

thats cool man.    group buy?   lol

couldnt you do both?  shop in the rear, store front for discounts . direct buy?

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 1:46:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LMFAO

Son of a bitch......the libs always said what would happen if deer could shoot back...guess we better show em this.

Full Auto Mini-14 FTW!!
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 1:49:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

So, Moving to Montana, eh?
gonna raise you up a crop of dental floss?

Just me and the pygmy pony, out by the dennil flos bush.

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 1:51:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Fo Time Firearms.  FTF
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#22]

Too hot and humid in North Carolina?

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 1:53:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

thats cool man.    group buy?   lol

couldnt you do both?  shop in the rear, store front for discounts . direct buy?

Yeah, I could do both and eventually will, but I'd still need someone to run the store front and I'm a one man shop.  From the sound of it, the local fun shop is not really making a lot of money, and feel that having a gunsmith on hand would attract more business that they need.  Also having a local fun shop display stuff like a converted Saiga 12, a custom AR or pistol gets "oos" and "awws" that could generate local if limited business.

I have enough work to keep me busy in the shop as much as I'd like, and after telling people to wait tell after I'm moved, I've ended up with quite a back log, both official, and "Let me know when you have time."  That has built up in just the last couple weeks.  It will be at least a month before I'm ready to fire up the equipment in the new shop.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 2:08:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's the humidity.  120 in the shade in Iraq at 0% humidity I can deal with, 90 and 110% pea soup, nope, makes me feel like I'm drowning.

That said, it's mostly BS CLEOs, taxes, and the mafia like small business and local city groups chasing me away.

I actually had some city clerk show up to my shop because some higher up was concerned that my selling guns would raise crime.  

I just told her that everyone I sell a firearm to has to pass a federal background check first.  She then started yapping about  "What if that person sold there gun to someone else or if it was stolen, or if someone broke in to my shop and stole my guns."

I told her that the private affairs of other law abiding Americans wasn't my concern.  As for my shop getting robbed I showed her the 2 ton safe, the electronic security system and nodded to the M&P 45 on my hip.

She asked if it was loaded, and I said.  "An empty firearm won't do much good if someone trying to rob me."  At that point she turned pail and decided to leave.

You got to be shitting me...  We have people like this running things.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 2:16:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

<snip>

You'd die here on the Gulf Coast, buddy.

All kidding aside, I would absolutely kill to be able to move to NC. We have a home just inside GA, but near Asheville is where I want to be. However, until the halfbacks and hippies are gone, NC will forever be on my "visit, but don't stay" list. There seems to be just enough of those two groups to keep NC permanently fucked up, politically.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 2:40:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Fo Time Firearms.  FTF

Quoted for truth.

How about:
Revolutionary Firearms
The Patriot Armory

I can't stand ignorant anti-gun people like the one that visited your shop. They use us as scapegoat posterboys for their own failures. Just be glad you were in NC and not NY like some pour souls.

+respect for Saiga-12 forum member... even though you are converting to the evil AR15 ;)
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 3:02:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Fo Time Firearms.  FTF

"When you've got to Fo, there is only one choice!  Fo Time Firearms!"
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 3:05:04 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fo Time Firearms.  FTF

http://i44.tinypic.com/t9w9s6.jpg

If you usethat I expect a tshirt or hat for free as payment for being the first to suggest it.

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 3:05:53 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fo Time Firearms.  FTF

Isn't that also an abbreviation for "Failure to Feed?"

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 3:08:59 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fo Time Firearms.  FTF

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 3:10:21 PM EDT
[#31]
FUBAR MFG.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 3:18:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Fo Time Firearms.  FTF

Face To Face

3 more logo ideas for your enjoyment.

But what one?
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 3:19:44 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fo Time Firearms.  FTF

Face To Face

3 more logo ideas for your enjoyment.

http://i44.tinypic.com/10d6scn.jpg

But what one?
I like the middle one.

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 3:25:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
FUBAR MFG.

That no worse than...  

FUBAR...

F.U. Barak Action Rifles

With patented FUB action!
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 3:27:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Galt Manufacturing
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 3:31:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Captain Kickass Custom
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 3:33:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Fo Time Firearms.  FTF

that would not work there is already a Company called FTF Industries.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 3:55:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's the humidity.  120 in the shade in Iraq at 0% humidity I can deal with, 90 and 110% pea soup, nope, makes me feel like I'm drowning.

That said, it's mostly BS CLEOs, taxes, and the mafia like small business and local city groups chasing me away.

I actually had some city clerk show up to my shop because some higher up was concerned that my selling guns would raise crime.  

I just told her that everyone I sell a firearm to has to pass a federal background check first.  She then started yapping about  "What if that person sold there gun to someone else or if it was stolen, or if someone broke in to my shop and stole my guns."

I told her that the private affairs of other law abiding Americans wasn't my concern.  As for my shop getting robbed I showed her the 2 ton safe, the electronic security system and nodded to the M&P 45 on my hip.

She asked if it was loaded, and I said.  "An empty firearm won't do much good if someone trying to rob me."  At that point she turned pail and decided to leave.

You were in Greensboro weren't you?
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 3:59:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You were in Greensboro weren't you?

Fuquay Varina

Yes it is as much of a shit hole as it sounds.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 8:49:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Good luck moving back to Montana. I think the economy is slowing down there a bit but the Bitterroot Valley is a very nice place. My oldest lives and works in Darby and spends all his time fishing/camping etc.  My daughter lives in hippie central and enjoys the  U of Montana...good school.
 My family lives north of Spokane and my wife and I are looking now for a retirement home in Mizzoula when life on the ranch becomes too much. Probably not a bad investment with all the college kids.  I will look for your shop in the near future.  Best wishes.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 9:01:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
North Carolina sucks for licensing a firearm related business, taxes suck, most CLEOs suck, weather (IMHO) sucks (too hot and humid), and all my family is in Montana.

So I'm foing to Montana, Freedom of Firearms act, suing federal entities, the two largest privately owned ammo manufacturing companies in the USA within 7 miles (HSM, BVAC) my new shop site (1000 sq foot shop with existing 220), high altitude, sunny summers, skiing in winter, fishing, lakes, hunting, 1000+ yard range all withing a 15 min drive.

I "sold" (gave away) the Cobras Customs name along with the related business account to my biz partner in North Carolina.  (Everything on good terms and we will both be referring people to each other for work, he is more a Saiga/AK guy, I'm more an AR guy.)

Now I need to come up with a new business name to go with all the paperwork I'm filling out for Montana small business, the ATF etc and the business account I'll be setting up here on ARFCOM.  

I'm also working on working on toning down some of my more controversial rhetoric with mixed success.  (Trolling Magpul and bashing LR-308s )

A couple ideas.

Fox Custom Firearms (Fox was a nickname I had while deployed to Iraq 03-04)

ATA for Aaron Thiel Arms (A simple symmetrical abbreviation that would be easy to put into a logo, I'm leaning more this way as most people seem to prefer simple engravings on weapons)

To any "artist" who might be interested, I need a logo that would be easy to engrave, roll stamp etc on steel, aluminum, wood plastic, etc.  (I'd pay for the rights to use a logo I like)

NC has changed a lot in the past 15 years, goof luck in MT......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top