Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2005 8:11:54 PM EDT
I can't fucking stand these asshat newbs always coming up with a reason not to be here.  I remember not being able to stay away from the station when I started,  

WTF is going here man.  

I know I'm preaching to the chior, just wanted to vent.  Me trying to stay awake.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:17:16 PM EDT
[#1]
You guys should have it the way we do...

Voluntary OT goes in seniority order (sorry, old school rules) by inverse OT (lowest OT on books gets 1st offer)

Involutary (hold over) goes by inverse seniority - junior  man gets to stay, unless he can find a body to spell him.

Hold the fort, brother. is your friend!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:23:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Hell, they wont hire back extra men to cover shortages here.  Its a disgrace we'll run under staffed fire apparatus to keep from hiring extra guys, but the douches that cut grass get overtime if they dont get all the parks and medians cut in a 40 hour week.  "Only hire overtime if the time is on another agency's dime."
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:23:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Tell me about it.  This sucks ass.  LAst year my partner and I moved from a larger city ambulance club, out to the country.  Wanting to trade in long hours of shootings, and general violnce for peace and relaxation.  

Only to be recognized as a valuable resource.  Everybody else here was either new or just sucked.  So they all got fired.  We, no shit had 2 full time employees all last year.  Now we have 6 employees, and 4 of them can't be counted on to be here at any given time.  So my patner and I remain here for the OT ( usually about 30+ hrs a week), and for the seniority, provided we ever keep another employee past the 90 day probation period.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:33:11 PM EDT
[#4]
If they trimmed out the dead wood and people that are worthless...we'd only fill 4 trucks on the 3 shifts
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:52:54 AM EDT
[#5]
i'm 3 into a 72... loooooong way to go. you have my sympathy
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:36:11 PM EDT
[#6]
You guys make me love my job.

We do three 12's then four days off, and they can't mandate us. They can ask, but they can't mandate us. Well, actually only in a weather emergency or some other extenuating circumstance.

I guess sometime a union is a good thing.

Yeah, they're hiring.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:52:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If they trimmed out the dead wood and people that are worthless...we'd only fill 4 trucks on the 3 shifts

Hell, most places, if you dumped the "shepherds" (the FF's who stand on the curb, doing nothing,  holding a pike pole tip up like a  crook) sandbaggers, and slackers,  they'd shut down.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:04:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:17:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I have ten hours left of my 24. It's been another long day on the ambulance (for the first 12) but now I'm on an egine for the remainder. It's a little bit of a break....around here, you're either on "the box" or chasing "the box" on the engine!
  Speaking of OT, my dept has just offered retirement incentives for those w/ 25yrs or more.(@65% + 8%incentive). We had sixty some guys sign up for it. (We have about 500 uniformed between three shifts). The dept is making them retire in stages over the next six months to help w/ the staffing. The new recruit class gets out in February. Till then, there's mandatory OT that all Captains, Lieutenants and privates have to sign upfor, based on seniority. The Batt. Chief is supposed to call around by seniority and fill in the slots for each day. We each have to work a min. of twelve 12-hour shifts. Not too bad all in all. Otherwise we can always put in for OT on the other shifts as long as we don't work more than 72 hours straight.
   Shift work is great, especially when I begin my standard five day break tomorrow!
Stay safe, stay in the house!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top