Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/13/2005 5:31:11 PM EDT
Placed my order with CMP last week (Wednesday) and FedEx came today!!! WOW that was fast... Here she is!!!

Wood is ALMOST pristine! has two dents (small) and a scuff that can be fixed with a little walnut stain. BIG FRIGGIN DEAL... she was born April 1945.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:34:11 PM EDT
Oh and to add MORE great news... My C&R came on Friday!! WOOOOOOOOOT!!!

Im gonna go broke arent I??
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:34:35 PM EDT
Are you allowed to own those in CA?

Nice M1, Fridge.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:35:02 PM EDT
It wont be your last
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:35:44 PM EDT
WOOT!!!!!!

and the best part is there is no cure!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:35:44 PM EDT
Very nice!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:35:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:37:10 PM EDT
Congrats!

Now, you gotta get some books on M1's...I mean, you can't rest until you pour over every part, figure out when they were made, lot numbers, try to see if it's all original...right?

Then you gotta research all the cartouches and markings...right?

And watch for Garand Thumb...it'll happen to you at least once...have some band-aids and maybe a splint around you for a while, just in case...
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:37:38 PM EDT
I like the scuff marks on mine, gives it character. Did you buy ammo from CMP too? I don't see the ammo that comes loaded in the clips on there website.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:41:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Evil_Ed:

And watch for Garand Thumb...it'll happen to you at least once...have some band-aids and maybe a splint around you for a while, just in case...

I read that in the manual... ACTUALLY SAYS "A Sympathetic Warning about 'M1 Thumb'"

and goes on to say how to avoid it... best part is when it says "No one ever died from it, but it did lead to a deplorable expansion of vocabulary in many languages."
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:43:05 PM EDT
Also Thanks to Scott574 and Dpmmn for guiding me through the ins and outs of contracting this disease...
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:43:09 PM EDT
Got it? Wait until you shoot it!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:44:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:45:12 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:51:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By palmer:
I like the scuff marks on mine, gives it character. Did you buy ammo from CMP too? I don't see the ammo that comes loaded in the clips on there website.

+1, leave the blems... a gun of that vintage deserves some character!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:31:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By chevypower:

Originally Posted By palmer:

+1, leave the blems... a gun of that vintage deserves some character!

Oh I am leaving the old blemishes the one I wanna fix looks like a fresh ding... right down to the raw wood... just touch it up with a walnut stain.... Hmmmm Nahh, you know what? Nevermind... Im leaving it the way it is.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:36:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:39:18 PM EDT
I really gotta get off my ass and get a couple or three of those CMP Garands.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:42:42 PM EDT
Field Grade, 375.00 plus 20.95 S&H and 3,000,000 Serial range which puts it in the April 1945 Mfg date. Oh and it is Springfield Armory USGI.

Honestly I didnt think I was gonna get this good of a rifle... If it shoots as good as it looks, CMP is charging WAYYYY TOO LITTLE!!!

I mean a NEW one here with NO history is 1300.00

I dont know what history it has... with such a young birthday, I DOUBT it saw WWII action. but nonetheless... 1945 and USGI... Im stoked.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:43:54 PM EDT
I always cry at weddings and for new additions to the family.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:48:41 PM EDT
I have two Garands but have yet to buy one from the CMP. I need to quit stalling and get one before they are all gone.

Garands are great guns, truly in a class by themselves. I will probably stop at three, but who knows?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:51:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By panzersergeant:
I have two Garands but have yet to buy one from the CMP. I need to quit stalling and get one before they are all gone.

Garands are great guns, truly in a class by themselves. I will probably stop at three, but who knows?

I would... at that price why wouldnt you?

I cannot believe the turnaround time it took to get it. They even sent an Email when they received my payment saying "DO NOT CONTACT US FOR AT LEAST 21 DAYS TO INQUIRE ABOUT STATUS" THat was last Wednesday!!!

I was VERY impressed!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:55:39 PM EDT
Just realized something... It took less time to get that than if I were to get a gun in CA and wait the 10 day BS.

Which I NEVER understood the 10 "cooling off" period when one already owns a gun... I mean what is someone gonna say? "DAMN that guy pisses me off yet I dont think a 38 will do the job... maybe I should get a 45"

Stupid ass CA laws.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:58:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2005 8:11:21 PM EDT by panzersergeant]

Originally Posted By DrFrige:

I cannot believe the turnaround time it took to get it. They even sent an Email when they received my payment saying "DO NOT CONTACT US FOR AT LEAST 21 DAYS TO INQUIRE ABOUT STATUS" THat was last Wednesday!!!

I was VERY impressed!

I know you had to jump through some hoops to buy a gun from the CMP, but what do you consider the biggest hassle in the process? What exactly is the process?

Very nice Garand you have there, by the way.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:59:03 PM EDT
I have one in safekeeping mode. I bought my father-in-law, 75 year old ex marine, a brand new Springfield for his birthday a couple years ago. He said that when his time is up it comes back to me. Mother-in-law has since informed me that he has had that clause added to his will.

I never thought I would say that I didn't want a gun but I hope I never see it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:01:21 PM EDT

Which I NEVER understood the 10 "cooling off" period when one already owns a gun... I mean what is someone gonna say? "DAMN that guy pisses me off yet I dont think a 38 will do the job... maybe I should get a 45"

"I'm not going to use my other gun, but damn it, I'll sacrifice a brand new one to kill that motherfucker!"

Stupid law.. yes. Big time.

Only way it makes ANY sense is for the first purchase, a waiting period on all subsequent purchases makes you go "whaaa?"
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:01:27 PM EDT
Wait till you shoot it, they are unique. Many, many rounds have been downrange from mine, (made in Jan 1943) she is cool. And she barks, the bark of freedom.

There is something about a Garand.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:04:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2005 10:25:19 PM EDT by leelaw]

I know you had to jump through some hoops to buy a gun from the CMP, but what do you consider the biggest hastle in the process? What exactly is the process?

Biggest hastle for me is the notary signature, and the notary is 2 minutes away, walking distance.

Check here for the eligibility requirements.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:05:54 PM EDT
Son of a Bitch.....i have been thinking about getting the exact same for a while, now im going to have to do it cuz you posted these pics.

Nice lookin gun man, congrats.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:13:16 PM EDT
OK, some quasi-noob has to ask: CMP???

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:15:39 PM EDT
Better paint it PINK or that one will be next inline for the name callin

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:17:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By miamilightning:

Civilan Marksmanship Program.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:18:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By miamilightning:

www.odcmp.com

Get rifles fedexed to your door.

SRM
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:18:56 PM EDT
You bringing it to Burro?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:21:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2005 7:24:46 PM EDT by Mattl]

Field Grade, 375.00 plus 20.95 S&H and 3,000,000 Serial range which puts it in the April 1945 Mfg date. Oh and it is Springfield Armory USGI.

Honestly I didnt think I was gonna get this good of a rifle... If it shoots as good as it looks, CMP is charging WAYYYY TOO LITTLE!!!

I dont know what history it has... with such a young birthday, I DOUBT it saw WWII action. but nonetheless... 1945 and USGI... Im stoked.

You got a Garand for $375? Somebody please walk me through the CMP process? At field grade is their any problems other than asthetics? Performance issues?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:21:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2005 7:22:50 PM EDT by MrsDrFrige]

Originally Posted By zipper:
Better paint it PINK or that one will be next inline for the name callin

<snicker>

I signed for the silly thing....

Its not bad looking.....I guess
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:32:10 PM EDT

Holy crap that's nice for that grade!!!

I need to get me one, I've been wanting an M1 for years!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:48:44 PM EDT

I was VERY impressed!

I know you had to jump through some hoops to buy a gun from the CMP, but what do you consider the biggest hassle in the process? What exactly is the process?

Very nice Garand you have there, buy the way.

Thank you sir... actually the hoops were not that bad... Just print out the 4 page application/order form... get a copy of your birth certificate... No problem, a copy of your state affiliated club. Most local gun memberships count... just check their check list... at www.odcmp.com and then you need to have a proof of marksmanship or CCW or C&R... I had a Range Officer at the local range (another ARFCOMMER BTW) check it off for me after I demonstrated safe gun handling procedures... then mail all that stuff in and a week later you got it. Not as bad as it seems really.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:50:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 4xys2xxs:
You bringing it to Burro?

Hey, is a frogs ass watertight??? YOU BET IM BRINGIN HER!!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:52:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MrPink123:
Son of a Bitch.....i have been thinking about getting the exact same for a while, now im going to have to do it cuz you posted these pics.

Here is some incentive for ya:

If you would have jumped on it a week and a half ago... this one would have been in YOUR home and not mine!!!

NOW GET MOVING!!!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:19:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jerry48430:
I have one in safekeeping mode. I bought my father-in-law, 75 year old ex FORMER marine, a brand new Springfield for his birthday a couple years ago. He said that when his time is up it comes back to me. Mother-in-law has since informed me that he has had that clause added to his will.

Sorry i had to fix that for ya... there is only ONE "EX" Marine. Know who he is??
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:26:30 PM EDT
Very nice.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:28:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MrPink123:

Here is some incentive for ya:

If you would have jumped on it a week and a half ago... this one would have been in YOUR home and not mine!!!

NOW GET MOVING!!!!

Fist things firs, need my CCW, then join NRA, then get the Garand....I'm on my way.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:30:22 PM EDT
Congrats Buddy!!!!

The first things you need to learn is:

1. It takes 3 Garands to use the stacking rings

2. You can buy 8 Garands a year through the CMP

3. Stock up on USGI M2 Ball ammo and en-bloc clips

4. Get some books and start reading

5. You will need a Bayonet at least 10 inches long to make your "Old Soldier" look good

Welcome tothe "Un-curable disease called: "Garanditis"
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:57:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2005 10:59:08 PM EDT by FishKepr]
It's difficult to understand, but when the BWT delivers your first CMP M1, it's easy to see that there's something magical about all that forged steel and hand rubbed wood. Was this rifle in the hands of a soldier at Normandy? Iwo Jima? Pusan? Probably not, but it was in the hands of a soldier serving his country at sometime, somewhere.

ARs are cool. M1s have character.

ETA: +1 on the 10" bayonet BTW, just like '03s and '17s must have a 16"
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:59:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2005 4:02:07 AM EDT by jerry48430]

Originally Posted By jerry48430:
I have one in safekeeping mode. I bought my father-in-law, 75 year old ex FORMER marine, a brand new Springfield for his birthday a couple years ago. He said that when his time is up it comes back to me. Mother-in-law has since informed me that he has had that clause added to his will.

Sorry i had to fix that for ya... there is only ONE "EX" Marine. Know who he is??

I will consider myself spanked publicly. That is what I do to get his goat at times. Thanks for the fix.

eta Who is the ONE "EX" Marine.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:43:21 AM EDT
I'm no gun expert by any means so please pardon my inexperience on this question. Do the field grade Garands work right out of the box? I don't have to replace a barrel or anything like that? I can just order one of these and go to the range and shoot away? See I was always under the impression that the field and rack grade rifles needed a few dollars put into them to get them to work. I don't understand all the guage number stuff they mention about the barrel and muzzle.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:43:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2005 5:44:51 AM EDT by HKgnnr]
Nice one Dr., congrats

Sandmand - yes ready to go out of the box from CMP as they do a complete check of the rifle - replacing any worn or damaged parts. They do gauge everything and price accordingly.

Dr - I cleaned mine up with some gentle rubbing and Simple Green (on a paper towel) - theres quite a bit of cosmo/dirt and grime on those stocks.

Mine looked dull like that, but turned into this:

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:46:53 AM EDT
Welcome to the club!
They are alot of fun & great shooters.
Last time I shot it at the range the couple next to me left because it was too loud.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:32:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By dpmmn:
Congrats Buddy!!!!

The first things you need to learn is:

1. It takes 3 Garands to use the stacking rings

2. You can buy 8 Garands a year through the CMP

3. Stock up on USGI M2 Ball ammo and en-bloc clips

4. Get some books and start reading

5. You will need a Bayonet at least 10 inches long to make your "Old Soldier" look good

Welcome tothe "Un-curable disease called: "Garanditis"

You SHUSH!
Top Top