Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/17/2004 8:35:58 AM EST
I am not a welder by any measure but there was a time many years ago (~20) when I did play welder a little. I have a couple small holes in an AKM receiver that I need to weld up (Fool with drill ==> )

I have a MAPP Gas torch and I just bought a couple Steel/Nickle welding rods that were for use with the MAPP gas cylinders. Will this work to fill in these extra holes that drilled into his receiver in the process of trying to build his first AK?

Any tips before I screw up my receiver more... Umm I mean 's receiver!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:44:10 AM EST
JB Weld it
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:45:50 AM EST
I think you are wasting your time, and will fuck up your receiver.

Find someone with a tig unit, that really knows how to use it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:47:17 AM EST

Originally Posted By PokeChoke:
JB Weld it

This is a Steel AK receiver... Correct me if I am wrong but I didn't think JB would work?

Also, I was looking online and I see that there are Oxy/Mapp systems (2-tanks) and I am wondering if this is what I would need to go gas welding...?

BTW: I do have JB weld at home so if ya think it would work... will go at it!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:47:39 AM EST
I am not a welder, but I am an engineer with a little expirience... (i.e. If a certified welder tells you different, there's a good chance he knows more than I.)

1) MAPP gas is marginal for welding, as far as getting the heat you need.

2) Gas welding will put more heat than you want into the receiver. (heat = warping/ loss of heat treat)

3) If it can be welded, you will want TIG for the precise control it gives. (MIG may work with very fine wire. It's not my first choice)

4) You will need access to both sides of the item to be welded to grind the weld smooth.

5) You will need a new finish when done.

Kent
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:48:43 AM EST

I am seeing a couple of huge problems for an amateur (no insult inteneded) here.

First, it will be VERY difficult to keep the heat localized and not warp the sheet metal receiver.

Second, if you do any torch process, it is VERY difficult to keep the deposition of material right. You will have some grinding to do to make it look right.

JB weld or take it to a welding shop and have an expert TIG it for you.

-Z

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:48:45 AM EST

Originally Posted By 338winmag:
I think you are wasting your time, and will fuck up your receiver.

Find someone with a tig unit, that really knows how to use it.

THAT IS WHY I ASKED! Now, a $60 AK receiver isn't an expensive screw up but it would work with the two extra holes left in the receiver as is!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:50:31 AM EST
JB weld is the best suggestion so far. Use tape on the back side to hold the JB in place. Fill until smooth. May take more than one filling since the stuff shrinks as it cures. Then a little touch up paint (AK's are painted right?) and you are done.

Kent
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:55:29 AM EST
MAPP gas is more for brazing/silver soldering, not "welding" per say. Wire feed(TIG/MIG) is the way to go, it'll use min. heat and replace the metal that you drilled out.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:05:04 AM EST
If the holes are not too big you can use solder and a propane torch (or a really good soldering iron). It doesn’t take near as much heat to solder as it takes to weld or braze. As long as you don’t overheat the metal it should not warp
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:12:32 AM EST
MAPP isnt for weldig period- its just for heating w/ a rosebud tip.

I recommend The JB and tape method. Or go to a muffler shop and have em tig it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:20:13 AM EST
There are MAPP/Oxygen systems at Home Depot and the such for $50 or so.

Yes, they CAN weld. You can even cut with it. I recently spoke with someone about using the system to cut off some rusty bolts.

The drawback of course is that the welding tips are only meant for small work - but what you're doing certainly qualifies. The bigger problem is that you might lose the tempering of the receiver metal, and you will also discolor the receiver extensively.

Also - TIG is NOT a wirefeed process. MIG is.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:24:10 AM EST
If the holes are small (under 1/4" or so) it's a 5 minute job with a MIG welder...
If you clamp a thick piece of aluminum behind the hole that needs filled, it will suck the heat from the steel before the weld warps or damages it... It's something I've done a zillion times when trying to weld thin fragile parts with too much welder.
All it will take is a quick zap with the MIG to make a spot weld in place of the hole. The aluminum behind the hole will not stick to the spot weld, and will leave a flat surface behind.

Just my 2 cents...

BTW...

I'm in Reading if you need to make a roadtrip...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:31:49 AM EST
MIG with a copper plate temporarily held behind the hole as a base.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:38:46 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2004 9:45:01 AM EST by 3woodiii]
I am a certified welder and Tig Welding it is the only way to fix it right. At least with the cleanest job. Do Not use a oxy-torch. After the repair is made cool the surrounding area of the reciever with a wet rag to keep the heat down. Good Luck.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:15:33 AM EST

Originally Posted By Zhukov:
There are MAPP/Oxygen systems at Home Depot and the such for $50 or so.

Yes, they CAN weld. You can even cut with it. I recently spoke with someone about using the system to cut off some rusty bolts.

The drawback of course is that the welding tips are only meant for small work - but what you're doing certainly qualifies. The bigger problem is that you might lose the tempering of the receiver metal, and you will also discolor the receiver extensively.

Also - TIG is NOT a wirefeed process. MIG is.

+1 I bought the $50 mapp/02 setup at home despot and it worked fine for cutting off some rusty shocks off of my pickup. Other than the 02 cylinders not lasting that long it's fine, and for the money, it's a great deal.
Top Top