Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/5/2012 11:16:52 AM EDT
Well since my little accident, I've been prescribed Percocet and Ultram. The docs said to generally take the Ultram during the day, and the Percocet during the night. Well, doing that, and I haven't had a decent nights sleep in weeks. Last night was the worst. Has anyone else had Percocet keep them awake??
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:17:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I always have wild reactions to pain meds, percoset won't let me sleep even after the itching subsides.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:19:51 AM EDT
[#2]
That shit gives me crazy dreams. Id rather not sleep.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:23:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I had the problem with Tylenol 3
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:23:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Have a couple beers before you decide to go to bed
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:24:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I had them for my wisdom teeth removal.  Took one and hated it.  I'll never take it again.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:24:53 AM EDT
[#6]
If I take percocet or vicodin at night then I have to go to sleep right when it first starts hitting me and I get sleepy. If I don't then it will make me feel wired and I can't go to sleep either. So if my back is hurting I'll try to just take it easy in the evening and not take anything until about 20 minutes before I'm going to go to sleep.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:26:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I had them for my wisdom teeth removal.  Took one and hated it.  I'll never take it again.

I absolutely hate the way they make me feel but they help take the edge off of pain. Necessary evil in some cases.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:26:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Trust me, that doesn't work. At least for me.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:27:44 AM EDT
[#9]
One Vicodin was OK, but if I took a second one, lights out, dead sleep. Only had percocet once, also sleepy time.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Many people are actually energized by taking opiates.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Pop three, go to bed.  Lay away most of the night, also get the perkie itch.  However, well rested in the a.m.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:34:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Throw an Ambien in there and meet the walrus
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:37:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Took Lortab for 3 years after a car wreck, just to go to work.  They just switched me to Percocet because it "has less Tylenol in it".  No strange side-effects, other than deep thought and depression while I'm on it.  I only take it at work though, by bedtime it's long worn off.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:37:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So this is a known reaction?

Interbasting.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:46:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My experience with pain meds has been varied but I agree.

Percocet took away my pain and made me feel like superman.  I could sleep but didn't want to.
Vicodin knocked the edge off and made me feel like a bumbling idiot.  I could sleep and really wanted to.
Tylenol 3 w/ codiene did little more than ibuprofen.  Normal sleep pattern.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:50:53 AM EDT
[#16]
I had a procedure Tuesday. I stayed up last night, in bed, with my laptop on ARFCOM till 4am because I could not fall asleep.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Pop three, go to bed.  Lay away most of the night, also get the perkie itch.  However, well rested in the a.m.

As always, please take your medications as prescribed on the bottle.  If it is not a strong enough dose speak to your physician about it.  Tylenol overdose is no fun, which Percocet includes.  Opiate overdose is no fun either.  Also, when you begin to misuse and abuse medications your tolerance builds up quicker.  You also run out of your medications sooner.  Be smart about your medications.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:52:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well since my little accident, I've been prescribed Percocet and Ultram. The docs said to generally take the Ultram during the day, and the Percocet during the night. Well, doing that, and I haven't had a decent nights sleep in weeks. Last night was the worst. Has anyone else had Percocet keep them awake??

percocets put me to sleep, the ultram is what is keeping you awake.  do not take any ultram past 1400
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:54:34 AM EDT
[#19]
My spine is fucked six ways from Sunday. I'm not even going to rattle off all the problems.

My doctors understand my condition and I am completely justified in being prescribed Percocet.

I was given once script about a year ago. It did help the pain somewhat but it gave me extremely vivid and horrifying night terrors that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Never had the script filled again.

There is something wrong with that shit.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:59:58 AM EDT
[#20]
I took a few when i broke several bones in my hand

I had no problems sleeping. But I did have vivid dreams. I dont remember them being bad though

The only side effect for me was I was constantly thirsty.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:01:49 PM EDT
[#21]
MMMM....  Percocet
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:02:50 PM EDT
[#22]
When I broke my hand I chugged whisky and took the percocet at bedtime. The whisky mellows the percocet jitters.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:07:13 PM EDT
[#23]
The last knee I had replaced I was getting morphine for a few days.
The dreams were vivid and very weird.
Lortabs, Percocets, etc, take time to adjust too, especially in sleeping.
I have taken both over the years and Percocet does have really weird effects on me.
It's just your system that determines how you'll react to them.
Some people handle them better than others.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:07:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Yup, can't sleep a wink on that stuff.

When I was younger even codeine cough syrup would knock me out for hours. Not now. It's annoying as hell, I either hurt too bad to sleep or I'm buzzing on painkillers.  I don't sleep much.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:10:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Percocets keep me awake by making me vomit violently.

On the other hand, they make my little sister stare vacantly at the ceiling and drool, noticing nothing around  her up to and including being poked in the leg with a fork to see what would happen.

So they can do weird shit to different people.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:15:07 PM EDT
[#26]
I have had back problems for 15-20 years, there was a time when my doctor prescribed  percocet for the pain, it worked well for that but the side effects where insomnia, constipation and a difficult or impossible time achieving an orgasm during sexual activity.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:16:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Same here.  I felt like I wanted to jump out of my skin.  Be careful, especially if you have suicidal thoughts which can be a side effect.  

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:21:22 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm taking it and I'm not sure if its keeping me awake or the pain is
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:22:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I took a few when i broke several bones in my hand

I had no problems sleeping. But I did have vivid dreams. I dont remember them being bad though

The only side effect for me was I was constantly thirsty.

Dude, that's not the Percocet
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:25:58 PM EDT
[#30]
percocet fucks up your sleep cycle.

it keeps me up all night. oxycontin is even worse. last time I took oxy I was up all night high as fuck. when it finally wore off I was tired as hell and felt like I drank 2 gallons of dubra by myself the night before.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:28:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yep. Percocet keeps me awake. I can normally sleep through anything.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:31:09 PM EDT
[#32]

You need to take it with a 12 oz. activator.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:34:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I was given once script about a year ago. It did help the pain somewhat but it gave me extremely vivid and horrifying night terrors that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

^
This, had a scrip for some broken ribs.  It doesn't seem to bother some people but I'll sure as hell be cautious about taking it again.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:35:07 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Yup, can't sleep a wink on that stuff.

When I was younger even codeine cough syrup would knock me out for hours. Not now. It's annoying as hell, I either hurt too bad to sleep or I'm buzzing on painkillers.  I don't sleep much.

That's because the codeine cough syrup probably had promethazine in it.  I am a wealth of fruitless information.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:38:26 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Trust me, that doesn't work. At least for me.

Make both beers 40 ozs each.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:20:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Since we're talking about weird side effects - Has anyone noticed your tinnitus getting way worse after taking some? I'm almost deaf today after a heavy day yesterday (the max allowed on the prescription, not like LDL50 type use. I usually take about half what the doc allows)
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:30:29 AM EDT
[#37]
weird. percocet is perfect for me. vicodin on the other hand makes me want to RAGE, stay awake and paranoid.
maybe you need vicodin instead.
just my .02
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:35:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'm not an expert on pain pills, but I once had a script for either percoset or vicodin, can't remember which.

The label had text that said, "Alcohol may intensify the effect."  I remember thinking, is that a warning, or a suggestion?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:39:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not an expert on pain pills, but I once had a script for either percoset or vicodin, can't remember which.

The label had text that said, "Alcohol may intensify the effect."  I remember thinking, is that a warning, or a suggestion?

It's a suggestion, however, if you go to far, you will wake up dead

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:45:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:47:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Dude, GET OFF THE ULTRAM.  Read the fricking side effects!  That shit fucked me for life!

Seriously, I took Ultram for 1 day, by the afternoon I could no longer urinate.  To this day I can generate no pressure when I pee.  Writing my name in the snow?  Forget about it.

I actually had every negative side effect except the seizures.  I've been told the Dr. that prescribed it was an idiot, and that they only give Ultram to like terminal patients when nothing else will work.

So full of hate for that drug.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:49:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

when i was on it. i had WILD dreams for the first week then insomnia at night. most nights would go to sleep about 2-3am and get up about 6am.

I had the most insane, vivid, unreal, demonic night terrors. I can't even begin to explain it. Of course, at the time I was diagnosed with the big "C" and awaiting surgery, so I was already

scared shitless to begin with. Either way, I will never take it again.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:54:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
percocet fucks up your sleep cycle.

it keeps me up all night. oxycontin is even worse. last time I took oxy I was up all night high as fuck. when it finally wore off I was tired as hell and felt like I drank 2 gallons of dubra by myself the night before.

Percoset and oxycontin are the same-percoset is oxycodone with acetominophen, oxycontin is time released oxycodone with no APAP-that's why it's popular with junkies. If you break up the pill, instead of getting 40mgs of oxycodone over 8-12 hours, you get the whole dose at once. Though I think now oxycontin is also mixed with naloxone, so if the pill is crushed, the naloxone is released, blocking the opiate receptors. Take the pill like you're supposed to and the naloxone passes right through your system.

I've had 6 back surgeries, 2 of which were within 4 days of each other in November. Permanent nerve damage causes constant pain, and without meds I likely would have offed myself years ago. Since I'm on meds for the forseeable future, my doctor prescribes oxy IR-same opiate as percoset and oxycontin (oxycodone ER) but without the acetominophen, and unlike the oxy ER (extended release), it is immediate release.

It can mess with your sleep, not to mention constipation and the occasional stink pickle that sounds like it chipped the bowl when it drops, but I'll take that over constant fucking pain any day.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:55:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude, GET OFF THE ULTRAM.  Read the fricking side effects!  That shit fucked me for life!

Seriously, I took Ultram for 1 day, by the afternoon I could no longer urinate.  To this day I can generate no pressure when I pee.  Writing my name in the snow?  Forget about it.

I actually had every negative side effect except the seizures.  I've been told the Dr. that prescribed it was an idiot, and that they only give Ultram to like terminal patients when nothing else will work.

That is interesting. I had carpal tunnel surgery in both my hands in my late 20's and they prescribed me Ultram for the surgery recovery and my several cortisone injections into my elbow

(which are really painful). I have only had maybe three prescriptions in my life for Ultram, maybe 4? Either way, i also have no PSI in the piss pipe. They thought it was my prostrate-nope,

all good (I actually get physicals, go to the doctor, get the proper tests and live a healthy lifestyle) prostate exam can back 100%. They can explain my urine leakage from my back

problems, but not the low PSI. Good to know, I had no idea.

I avoid pain killers as much as possible. Unfortunately, if I want to walk I have to take them but my doctors have me on Hydrocodone which I only take when the pain is so bad I am

almost in tears and can't walk.

My doctors predict a wheel chair for me in my 60's. Can't fucking wait.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:55:56 AM EDT
[#45]
I am unable to sleep for 12 hours after one.

And that is a very common side effect.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:58:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, ultram works really well for some people (my dad takes it when his artificial knee is killing him), but I couldn't stand it. Weird dreams, insomnia, zero appetite, and it made me feel like I had just taken a box of No-Doz.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:02:02 AM EDT
[#47]
I had a root canal and a wisdom tooth took out and Vicodin gave me the crazy dreams and waking up every hour or so, a couple Percoceti got from my old man instead had me sleeping like a baby the only problem is i slept like 15 hours.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:03:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Wow. Ultram is like an aspirin and half a beer. The codeine you can buy without prescription in Canada is stronger than that stuff. Been on and off it for most of a decade without a problem.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:05:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Percocet always screwed up my sleep. Vicodin not as bad.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:08:31 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

My spine is fucked six ways from Sunday. I'm not even going to rattle off all the problems.

My doctors understand my condition and I am completely justified in being prescribed Percocet.

Never had the script filled again.

There is something wrong with that shit.
It often made it hard for me to sleep. Once in awhile I would have bizarre dreams. It is however the only thing that knocks my pain down and keeps it down.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top