Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2004 7:21:51 AM EDT
Ok i'll share mine first.Today (and other days in the past) I get calls from people with heavy noise in the background asking where my parents are and when I say they are gone they just hang up.It freaks me out cause for all I know they are looking for someone to rob and only a kid is home.Just happedned a minute ago.I really want to get out my rifle or something JUST IN CASE but I dont really know what to do.I hate it.Anyone else get any funny/strange/freaky calls?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:24:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Inform the inquiring strangers that there was a shotgun accident and mommy and daddy are not available, and explain that you are now home alone.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:26:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I dont even have time to reply.Its just me saying no they are gone right now and then they are gone.Freaky and shizzle.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:31:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't say they are gone.  Just say they can't come to the phone right now and take a message.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:34:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Good idea.Why didnt I think of that?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:35:26 AM EDT
[#5]
How old are you hon???
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:37:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm 14.And after every call I have this little voice telling me to check all doors and windows for locks and stuff,and I always do it...and taking my AR out might be taking security a little far.Or no?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:43:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm 14.And after every call I have this little voice telling me to check all doors and windows for locks and stuff,and I always do it...and taking my AR out might be taking security a little far.Or no?

Have you mentioned this to your folks? How would they feel about their 14 year old standing by with an AR?

This would've started quite a conversation in my house.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:43:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

14 and you have an AR? im 20 and i still cant scrounge up the funds for and upper and the stock i want...

Although i wouldent want ot be carring around an AR for protection, but you can always geta magazine ready to go and leave the case open.

Edit: Dont load it, dont take it out yet, but i would also call your parents. almost forgot that =\
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:43:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:45:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Shoot them with your airsoft.

I really wasn't going to make fun of you, but then you said "shizzle" and weren't joking.
tony
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:45:37 AM EDT
[#11]
My parents know about the calls.And I dont have the AR out dont worry.Still in its case.And i'm getting my Rock River Entry Tactical in in about two weeks.I dont know what to do.Stop worrying or get my AR out or whatever.And I dont have airsoft.Lame if you ask me.And I say shizzle all the time.Even at school and shizzle.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:48:12 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Shoot them with your airsoft.

I really wasn't going to make fun of you, but then you said "shizzle" and weren't joking.
tony

That might actually be a good idea, if the intruder saw what looked like a machinegun, they would probably run.  Or if you had an airsoft shotgun, you could pump it and that would probably scare them away.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:49:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Again,I have no airsoft.And pumping a airsoft shotgun sounds nothing like the real thing.Trust me I've tried both.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:51:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Off the subject, but where in Wiscconsin are you? I'm going to school in Platteville.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:52:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Im in schofield.Central WI.District is DC Everest.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:54:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm originally from wausau. I have a 15 year old brother who's a ARFCOM member. Screen name
-bullseye-
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:54:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Oh yeah and my dad wont be home until 7:00 tonight so I will be home alone for a while still.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:58:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Do you have any friends who live nearby? You could stay with them while your parents are gone.

If it were me I'd unlock my Benelli Nova and get out a box of #4 buckshot.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:00:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Well one friend is a bike ride away the other lives quite a ways away.And i'm not sure if my friend is home so....maybe i'll call.I'll wait until my music is done with.Smoke on the Water is playing now.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:01:01 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

That might actually be a good idea, if the intruder saw what looked like a machinegun, they would probably run.  Or if you had an airsoft shotgun, you could pump it and that would probably scare them away.

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:06:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Would it be over reacting to bring out my AR?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:09:20 AM EDT
[#22]
I wouldn't load it if you bring it out.

Is it possible someone you know is calling you for a joke. People do that all the time at the college I'm at.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:10:39 AM EDT
[#23]
This guy sounded at least 30 years old.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:14:26 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Would it be over reacting to bring out my AR?

yes
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:16:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Leave the gun secured. Lock your doors & windows. Tell your parents about the phone calls. Write down dates & times of the phone calls if you think something is up.

Tell strangers on the phone that they're busy and can't come to the phone now. If someone knocks on the door don't answer it  if you're alone.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:16:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Wow I still got a lot of songs to listen to before I call my friend.I'll just call him now.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:16:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Jesus H. Christ.  Chill out.  Do whatever makes you happy, but if anything happens, verify who your target is before you shoot -- don't shoot at sounds, make damn sure it's not your parents being idiots and not acknowledging you when you're yelling at them to identify themselves, or maybe some idiot friend playing a prank on you.

Personally I think you're way overreacting, but I didn't hear the phone call, and I don't know if you're in a bad area or someplace off in the hills or whatever.  More than likely, whoever called was just some friend of theirs who is stuck at a gas station calling from a payphone.

If your parents have a cellphone, call them.  The proper response to this isn't to play cowboy or pretend to be in a movie.

ETA: I didn't notice the first time through that you'd been getting these calls repeatedly.  Did you tell them before?  Do you have caller-ID?  I would suggest handgun training;  an AR-15 is unwieldy inside a house, and the bullet will go through a lot more walls than a .45 would.  A shotgun is a better choice.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:19:33 AM EDT
[#28]
You need to log the dates and times of the calls, have you parents make a harassing phone call report with the police when you get back and then notify the phone company so they can start tracking who's making the calls.  They can get into legal trouble for harassing phone calls...
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:21:50 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm going to my friends house I guess.I dont have a caller ID either.I know the AR is sorta over reacting but I hate these phone calls.I'll reply when I get home I guess.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:27:34 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I'm going to my friends house I guess.I dont have a caller ID either.I know the AR is sorta over reacting but I hate these phone calls.I'll reply when I get home I guess.

So you think (and I doubt there really is) someone is out there trying to rob you/kill you/rape you/steal your cookies... So you're going to LEAVE THE HOUSE and go to someone else's place?

There's nothing to worry about. If an intruder came to my house, they're going to have to get past a dead bolt and a wood and poly composite door. Just go ahead and TRY kicking that in. That will give me enough time to pull out the Sub2000 and have it at the ready if intruder tries to enter.

Otherwise, you're really paranoid kid. Take a chill pill and play Doom III.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:27:49 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Having survived an encounter in my own house with a BG, I will tell you that it isn't too far out. Just prudent. Make sure that the parents know that someone called and asked that question.  What till your parents get home and do *69 on the phone to see if the callback feature will hook your Dad back up to the caller. Don't mention guns because it will alert the BGs that it may be a place to case & hit when no one is there. When this little voice speaks, LISTEN! It was this little voice that told me to wake up at 0315 and that I was not alone in the house.

The Lamentations of a Conservative
Oh, if we could undo the damage the liberals have done to my country and go back to live like we did in the late '50&early 60's where the house doors where unlocked so someone could get to a phone in an emergency and people left the keys in cars so that the fire department could move the cars in case of a fire.

Oh, Sunday mornings were for worship of GOD and not for the wearing of spandex while riding a bicycle. The priests proclaimed GOD's word and not some PC trash about it was our duty to help clean the streets of the inner city. Sodomy was still regarded as a sin in the eyes of GOD and not THE alternative lifestyle of the 'hip'.

Oh, how has it come down to this?

wganz

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:30:31 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

ETA: I didn't notice the first time through that you'd been getting these calls repeatedly.  Did you tell them before?  Do you have caller-ID?  I would suggest handgun training;  an AR-15 is unwieldy inside a house, and the bullet will go through a lot more walls than a .45 would.  A shotgun is a better choice.

sshhhhh.  www.ammo-oracle.com

If you wanna get your AR out, get your AR out.  Lock the doors, and don't sweat it.  I spent time alone at home when I was your age, and of course I always had a gun of some description out anyway...
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:31:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Wasn't like.... this totally in like..... a movie???????
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:33:36 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Wasn't like.... this totally in like..... a movie???????

Yeah, but in that movie the kid could only put his hands to his cheeks and wail, not put 5.56 downrange...
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:33:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Just got back from my friends house.I see now some people are saying its not so bad to get the AR out.And about DOOM 3....I cant play it my comp is too old and I spent my money on the Rock River.Oh well,thats life.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:24:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Inquiring minds want to know . . . did you survive??  Any resolution?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:28:48 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I would say that is perfectly normal behavior for a 14 y.o. latch key kids who's parents are obviously not around enough to take care of these responsibilities for you.

Sgtar15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top