Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2004 4:09:08 PM EST
My Lincoln has just started to get the weirdest stereo problem. For some reason the volume will randomly go way up and down on its own and other times you can't hear anything, just snap and crackling noises from the speakers. I havn't noticed any patterns on when this happens yet and don't know what could be causing this. Do you think it could be a problem with the head unit? the wiring? the speakers?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:11:35 PM EST
I would say head unit, unless you have volume controls in the steering wheel, those screw up easily.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:12:58 PM EST
Do you have a newer car that adjusts the volume level automatically, depending on ambient sound (different manufactures have their own name for it)? If so it could be the head unit or the sensor that monitors the noise level (a mic).

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:27:54 PM EST
Its an '88, it probably doesn't have that fancy stuff that can get screwed up. My money is on the head unit (I've been meaning to upgrade it anyways, chicks don't dig CDs hooked up through a tape deck), but I'm just freaked out that it could be the wiring, that would be a bitch to look at.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:33:30 PM EST
I think that car has a factory amp in the trunk behind the rear seat or under the rear deck, they frequently go bad. you may just want to pop for a new head unit, and new speakers and bypass all that crap, instead of trying to fix it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:49:52 PM EST
It's definitely not the speakers or wiring.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:41:02 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:41:41 PM EST
Battery acid and a wire brush will fix it up!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:44:08 PM EST
I got to pull my CD player out one day soon its acting funny too.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:09:36 PM EST

Originally Posted By WooDy_the_infidel:

Actually a blown speaker can do that .

Personaly if you are going to do it , go to Krutchfield and get a new system , speakers and all . Laying in new wireing while you go . You can get a decent system put together and installed for under $500.
Way less if you know how to shop around .
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:23:26 PM EST
Your head unit volume contol is burned out. I had it happen to one of mine years back. I think it is time to upgrade.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:23:42 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/2/2004 7:41:03 AM EST by WooDy_the_infidel]

Originally Posted By Kodiak-AK:

Personaly if you are going to do it , go to Krutchfield and get a new system , speakers and all . Laying in new wireing while you go . You can get a decent system put together and installed for under $500.

A blown speaker would not cause the volume to go up and down like he is saying. A damaged speaker can be shorted, changing the load on the amp and blowing the fuse, an "open", causing a loss of sound in that channel, or physically damaged due to being over driven, causing distortion and "fluttering" of the speaker cone.
(btw i'm an electronics technician)
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:14:56 AM EST
Get an Eclipse head unit. Nuff said.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:25:09 AM EST

A blown speaker would not cause the volume to go up and down like he is saying. A damaged speaker can be shorted, changing the load on the amp and blowing the fuse, an "open", causing a loss of sound in that channel, or physically damaged due to being over driven, causing distortion and "fluttering" of the speaker cone.
(btw i'm an electronics technician)

I'm not , but I do know my speaker is blown and my deck is fine .I get volume swells as well as static pops out of that speaker all the time depending on the song .
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:16:45 AM EST

I dunno, throwing $500 bucks into a $1200 car for a system is kind of excessive.
Top Top