Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2004 8:41:23 PM EDT
I started my weight loss program Jan 1. I began by decreasing portion size and starting to excersize. I got good results, losing on average 8 lbs per month for a total of 63 lbs lost so far.

I built the excersize duration up to the point where I was pretty wiped ou by week's end, with sore leg muscles (I do about 1 1/4 hours on a stationary bike eack weekday).

So on the advice of you ARFCOM guys I started taking protien supplements, and the pain pretty much went away. But, my weight loss started to taper off to about 4lbs per month.

Last month I worked out like a bandit, and lost a grand total of ONE POUND.

Now, I know that I'm putting on some muscle mass (my legs are quite massive and powerful), but to do all that work with so little seeming return is discouraging.

So, how can I get back on track? My primary goal is weight loss: I am 5'8" and weigh 287 lbs.

So, should I cut my portions further? Or use less protien supplements? Or just continue on as is?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:53:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you following a particular diet regimen, or just trying to "eat less" in general?  I thought I could manage by eating less, I've given up on that and am trying an actual diet plan for now (in conjunction with more workouts).  

if you burn more energy than you consume, you WILL lose weight.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:17:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I might try switching to more complex carbohydrates. I know that it makes a big difference for me. My last bulking phase I was eating about 4500 cal/day after switching to the more complex carbs. I went from wite to brown rice, red skin potatos, to yams, etc. It made a couple hundred calorie differnce in what I could consume, V. what would be stored as fat.

Also dont be descouraged by only loosing one lb./week. That is actually my goal. Your body can only metabolize so much fat at once before you start to burn muscle.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top