Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/9/2010 4:46:51 PM EDT
Question inspired by another topic on military posers....

I wear one of the woodland pattern ECWCS parkas that the Air Force issued me as my range and general out door jacket.  I also left my rank tab on the front of it because I didn't see any reason to take it off.  What's the hive's consensus on whether or not it's kosher to leave the rank tab on the parka?  What if I were a civilian instead of a veteran?

Posing as a military member is trash behavior, I'm just wondering about people's thoughts on wearing items of the uniform...
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:50:58 PM EDT
[#1]
This former soldier has a Marine Corps belt buckle on, and wears what he wants where he wants and how he wants.

I mow the lawn in BDUs

Sometimes I wear my old uniform for the hell of it.

It still fits me pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#2]

I wear a USAF issue Gore-Tex shell with my last name on a subdued name tape and no rank when I'm in civis. Its a good rain shell.

I'm a CAP cadet and there is nothing on it other than my name so I don't really consider it poserish.

When people ask me about it I just explain I'm a CAP cadet and tell them about CAP, usually gets a new cadet or two.

Lots of people ask me where they can get one. Never had anyone give me trouble over it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:53:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Way I see it, you earned the right to wear that rank. I don't see a problem with it at all. Civilians wearing rank on the other hand; that's just ridiculous.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:53:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:53:46 PM EDT
[#5]

To me, anything not current (ie, BDUs) is fair game.  I try not to wear ACU items with civies, but have worn the ACU gortex (which I bought off eBay) a few times, but removed the rank.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:55:07 PM EDT
[#6]

If you are just wearing the jacket, I don't see it as a big deal at all for civilians, let alone ex-service guys.

Wearing the full kit with insignia if you didn't earn it is a bit shitty, and wearing the full kit without insignia is a bit dorky, but that's about it.

My opinion as a civilian, for what it's worth (not very much).

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:58:11 PM EDT
[#7]
The rule I've always heard has been if you wear a military jacket with civilian clothing you have to remove the rank. I would have to dig deeper to find the right reference, but for Air Force I would start with AFI 36-2903.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:59:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I give all my old stuff to my family.  As long as they aren't wearing the whole uniform and pretending to be something they aren't, no one cares.  My niece loves my old DCU M65 field jacket.  It has the right name on it too.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:00:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The rule I've always heard has been if you wear a military jacket with civilian clothing you have to remove the rank. I would have to dig deeper to find the right reference, but for Air Force I would start with AFI 36-2903.

But that would only apply to AF members.  Kind of hard to enforce on civilians.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:01:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Hell I've seen hippie lookin 18 year old kids wearing expensive clothes with corporal and sergeant stripes on them, so you can wear whatever you want as far as I'm concerned.  

I don't think anybody would see a guy with a Vietnam service ribbon, purple heart/bronze star ribbon, etc. on his hat and tell him to take it off because its not "offical".  And if they do, they are a piece of shit and should STFU.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:01:49 PM EDT
[#11]
When I got out I wore my bdu's with my rank and patches for hunting. I wore my field jacket at work to keep warm in the winter doing construction. I did not want to rip everything off. I didn't even think anything of it at the time. They don't fit anymoor
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:04:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

That's the way it is in the Marines.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:04:39 PM EDT
[#13]
So, if I bought a woodland camo coat at an army surplus store should I not wear it?

Serious question here. I bought this thing and it's pretty nice, has a warm liner that buttons into the inside of it, real brass zippers, big pockets, etc.

I've worn it duck hunting, but now I'm worried some asshole will pick a fight with me for wearing it if I stop to fill up on gas or buy some shells on the way to go hunt.

ETA:

I have never been in the military. Closest thing was JROTC

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:06:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This former soldier has a Marine Corps belt buckle on, and wears what he wants where he wants and how he wants.

I mow the lawn in BDUs

Same here.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:06:53 PM EDT
[#15]
All depends on if you are trying to trick people or not. That's why there are different words for reenactor and poser.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I still have all my old woodland camoflage BDU's, field jacket & hat, all with the officer insigna, specialty badges, name tag and branch of service sewed on.  I have been out about 14 years now and have not worn them.  I still have a class A dress uniform also, and could probably look around and find a box of railroad tracks and oak leaf insigna somewhere.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:07:19 PM EDT
[#17]
As far as I'm concerned...where what you want.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:08:17 PM EDT
[#18]
My brother and law and buddies back home love my old BDUs to go hunting in.  I have a couple of pairs of ABUs that are getting pretty worn and I'll give them away also.  I do remove my name tape and US Air Force tape before I give them away.  Everything else stays on.

I don't wear my gore-tex in civies because I have a nice jacket to keep out the rain and snow.  But I don't see any problem with it.

Just don't wear chloroframs with a suit.  My buddy did this one time at a Christmas party and we had to give him hell.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:08:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So, if I bought a woodland camo coat at an army surplus store should I not wear it?

Serious question here. I bought this thing and it's pretty nice, has a warm liner that buttons into the inside of it, real brass zippers, big pockets, etc.

I've worn it duck hunting, but now I'm worried some asshole will pick a fight with me for wearing it if I stop to fill up on gas or buy some shells on the way to go hunt.

ETA:

wear the fuck out of it

I think its fucking weird when i see people who are obv civvies with name tapes (esp not their name) and rank on, just remove that shit
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:08:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

ETA:

Wear it to your heart's content.  No one issues those things anymore anyway.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:08:56 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a pair of desert digital cammie troausers, woodland BDU trousers, ACU trousers and will ge tmy hands on a pair of ABU trousers...

I wear them around the range and when I go outside to do whatever. I sometimes wear boots with them (unbloused) and I find them comfortable for what I do.

I mean, they are just pants.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I did the same thing as a teen for hunting. It was the cheepest and best jacket at the time. I would wear it and not give it a second thought. When I got out of the Army I wore my stuff as beater clothes I paid for them so I used them till they wore out.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:10:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA:

wear the fuck out of it

I think its fucking weird when i see people who are obv civvies with name tapes (esp not their name) and rank on, just remove that shit

Well, this one doesn't have the velcro spots on it for name patches and rank or any of that stuff. I think it's probably an 80's era jacket (or a copy thereof).

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:12:18 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't wear any of my issued gear for several reasons. One being that I don't want to be identified as military, I know the haircut that I have gives it away, but I try not  to any more than my natural looks gives it away. I am proud as can be, but I don't want to be targeted, those in the military know what I mean.

Next issue, I am a combat veteran, I have my CAR. I served and fought. If you haven't done so then you don't deserve the right to wear the gear we wear. It is your constitutional right, no doubt, but if you haven't served it is an insult to those who do and have.

They are not just pants and shirts, it what those trousers and blouses represent and what you do to earn the right to wear them. If you have never been in the military you wouldn't understand. In my eyes you are just a poser and don't have the guts to do what it takes to wear the military uniforms and issued gear, but what would I know.

A vet, you earned the right and I am right there with you brother. When I get out I am wearing T shirts and flip flops  and I am going to get a shit job just to quit.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:12:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mow the lawn in BDUs

Same here.

Yeah, but when I wear mine, I get more women chasing me than you do

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:14:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Against AF regs to wear rank stripes or other AF crests/badges out of uniform...but then, you're no longer subject to those, are you?

ETA:  I had gotten the impression that you were retired/separated, if wrong, then no wearing the rank tab when you are out of uniform.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:17:47 PM EDT
[#27]
I wear the bear suit jacket when it get's cold. I have the black and green one.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:21:08 PM EDT
[#28]
A vet can wear whatever the fuck wants IMHO.

I still need to pick up a parka to go with my gortex pants.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:23:22 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I wear the bear suit jacket when it get's cold. I have the black and green one.

I have my full bear suit (brown and black) that hasn't been worn since I PCSed to Florida.  

That's not likely to change as I PCS to Nellis AFB (Las Vegas)

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:25:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Oh I also forgot my entire ECWS rig (Gore-tex jacket/trousers, black fleece jacket and bib coveralls), my tan grid fleece longjohns, my black "ninja" outfit and a green sleep jacket.

Damn, i have more junk than i expected.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:26:24 PM EDT
[#31]
If you earned the rank while in, go ahead. The rank does not denote any affiliation with any branch, it does not say USAF,USA,USMC or Coast Guard.Shit you could be capt of your own Neighborhood Watch.

Just tell anyone that. But if you have the tapes on, than you could cause issues. But I don't care.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:26:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Whenever I mow my lawn, I wear a US Army Colonel's dress uniform with SF and Ranger Tabs, and a Medal of Honor.

This is my right under the First Amendment, and if ANYBODY dares to criticize my decision to do this...

...they hate the Constitution.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:30:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Whenever I mow my lawn, I wear a US Army Colonel's dress uniform with SF and Ranger Tabs, and a Medal of Honor.

This is my right under the First Amendment, and if ANYBODY dares to criticize my decision to do this...

That made my laugh, thank you. I needed that.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Ok than.........But do wear the uniform when you burn Qur'ans?

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:33:47 PM EDT
[#35]
I wear an old OD green M-65 in the winter.  No rank, shoulder patches, branch of service tapes or name tapes.  But, I do wear my Air Assault wings over the left pocket.  I earned them; most of the time no one even notices them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:34:06 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Hey if you earned it, by all means I will back you 100%

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:34:50 PM EDT
[#37]
I wore my Peacoat for years.........Till some scumbag stole it
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:36:06 PM EDT
[#38]
I wear Viet Nam era pickle blouse sometimes. I'm 30ish years old.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:36:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Black jungle boots and the a few green t-shirts are the only items I wear on a regular basis and the t-shirts only for yardwork as they are quite worn out.   I saved one camo cover from bootcamp and my Blues cover but they are just souvenirs.  Everything else is long-gone to Goodwill.  I don't want to be "that guy that can't let go".
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:37:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I am still laughing, I can't stop.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:38:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Woodland Gortex is worn when hunting or when it's cold and raining.  Around here, there are so many military and so many guys wearing Gortex jackets, that no one even notices.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:41:31 PM EDT
[#42]
I don't wear any of my military gear when not on duty; except some of my old poly-pros when it's cold and I'm going to be out in it for a while.   I'd feel a little strange wearing just part of a uniform myself.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:41:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am still laughing, I can't stop.

^^^ This
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:42:22 PM EDT
[#44]
I brought home a couple of sets of jungle fatigues in 1970.  They have all the rank and insignias on it.

Over the last 40 years I have worn the jackets at different times, most of the time back in college but sometimes nowadays at the range or whatever.  The jackets were issued to me and not required to be turned in.  I will do whatever I want with them.  If somebody doesn’t like it they can kiss my Cracker ass.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:44:40 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

To me, anything not current (ie, BDUs) is fair game.

I still get issued BDUs

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:49:16 PM EDT
[#46]
I never served, but my opinion is that if they are YOUR uniforms, you can do whatever you want with them after you are out.  You earned it, and you are welcome to those honors.

Those of us who never served I would say not to wear branch tapes and certainly no awards or rank or tabs such as SF, ranger, airborne...

I took a ACU top and removed the loop side of the velcro for name and branch tapes and rank just to make sure that it no longer is an official uniform.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:49:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
To me, anything not current (ie, BDUs) is fair game.  I try not to wear ACU items with civies, but have worn the ACU gortex (which I bought off eBay) a few times, but removed the rank.

Yea I had a girl at work that had an ACU Gortex and I was like "Whered you get that?", she said "My brother was in the Army and he gave me this."

Whats funny is he was supposed to give that back, what did that run like $160. LOL I had to pay $600 when I got out because I was in a horrible unit and half my shit got stolen.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:50:50 PM EDT
[#48]
I bought a used parka and cut the rank name and service stuff off just out of respect. Never made it pas meps.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:51:16 PM EDT
[#49]
I wear my sons Marpat pants and jacket for yard work though not both at the same time. I will however wear both plus the cover when i go out woodchuck hunting, but I'm not representing and the last name on them is the same. I'll wear the Marpat pants here and there going to town to run errands and pay bills but usually with a civilian t-shirt. If i wear the jacket it's also usually with a pair of jeans but again i'm not tryin to pass myself off as a vet and really there's no rank on his cammies.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:58:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Whats funny is he was supposed to give that back, what did that run like $160. LOL I had to pay $600 when I got out because I was in a horrible unit and half my shit got stolen.

When did this stuff start?  When I was discharged from the Air Force they never asked about any of my issued items.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top