Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2004 9:56:02 AM EDT
Weapons that can shatter concrete
New York Daily News | September 25, 2004 | PATRICE O'SHAUGHNESSY

Semiautomatic assault rifles have returned, and cops who face them know all too well what they can do

The Cold AR-15 semiautomatic assault rifle is long, black and sleek and shoots .223-caliber ammunition, or 2-inch long bullets.

For 10 years, the sale and manufacture of the fearsome weapon was illegal anywhere in America.

Last week, as some Southern stores resumed sale of the rifle, Police Officer Darrell Corti demonstrated its destructive power.

Corti aimed the weapon at a cinderblock at the NYPD firing range at Rodman's Neck in the Bronx and pulled the trigger. The burst of gunfire rang loudly in the ears despite protective gear. The narrow bullet traveled at such a high velocity that it pierced a half-dollar-sized hole in the inch-thick side of the stone before shattering into shiny fragments.

The round is capable of penetrating some bulletproof vests.

"These are weapons of war, and to make them more readily available is certainly a concern for us," said Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly. "It is a concern for police officers because they're the ones at 2 a.m. who are most likely to confront these types of weapons."

More than a decade ago, the AR-15 had been routinely used by dealers to guard drug dens. Now it can be legally sold in federally licensed gun shops in certain states, along with Uzis, Macs and Tec-9s, the sinister-looking pistols toted by thugs who devastated the city.

With the expiration of the federal assault weapons ban two weeks ago, will the guns that held neighborhoods in the clench of violence in the late 1980s and early 1990s be making a comeback?

"Assault weapons will be more lethal and less expensive. High capacity magazines will be back in production for civilian sale," the Consumer Federation of America darkly concluded after polling weapons manufacturers.

New York's own ban on assault weapons remains in effect, and the city has some of toughest gun laws in the nation, but traffickers have managed to smuggle in thousands of illegal handguns each year through Southern states, where lax laws allow multiple purchases and the use of so-called straw buyers.

Authorities are concerned that as stores now offer the higher-powered weapons, as well as certain styles favored by criminals and magazines holding as many as 50 bullets, that the weapons will make their way into the arsenals of the city's gangs and drug organizations.

"We are concerned anytime illegal firearms, whether handguns or rifles, are trafficked or possessed in New York City," said William McMahon, special agent in charge of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives New York office. "In the hands of criminals, any of these weapons can be deadly."

The new availability of increased firepower is a major concern. Under the ban, dealers could not sell magazines holding more than 10 bullets.

"With the magazine limitation lifted, you have in effect what amounts to putting an automatic weapon on the street," said Kelly. "A 30- or 50-round clip put in a semiautomatic, you just keep pulling the trigger and you put out an awful lot of firepower."

"They're going to shoot what they've got," said a Bronx investigator.

But the National Rifle Association said the fears are unfounded.

"We've received phone calls from numerous rank-and-file police who know this ban had nothing to do with crime," said Andrew Arulanandam, an NRA spokesman. "These guns have been available in different forms. A magazine is a piece of metal. The focus ought not to be on an inanimate object, but on the criminal, who gets guns through the black market."

The ban on 19 weapons was signed into law by former President Bill Clinton after shootouts among drug dealers claimed hundreds of innocent lives in inner cities and deranged killers armed with assault rifles grabbed headlines in pristine suburbs.

Assault rifles had such features as a folding stock, a night sight, a flash suppressor, a bayonet mount, a pistol grip and a large magazine capacity.

Of 125 guns taken off the street last year by just one firearms investigations team, 10 of them were banned weapons; most were cheap 9-mm. handguns.

With the ban lifted, some criminals may covet the status and intimidating reliability of once forbidden firepower, investigators said.

For example, the newly available Colt AR-15 bears a revered name in the gun industry, known for accurate, well-made weapons.

Likewise, the Mac-10 is twice the size of the Glock 9-mm. carried by cops, and packs a 30-shot ammunition clip.

Although the firms that manufactured some of the guns are defunct, stores may have inventories they were previously unable to sell. And authorities believe a manufacturer will fill the void. The Tec-9 is also a weapon that helped spike the city's murders to a record 2,245 in 1990.

"The Tec-9 has the same power as the Glock, but it's a bigger gun, with a big handle, and you can add a flash suppressor - and it's a very menacing gun, and that's why criminals wanted it," said a federal firearms investigator.

"Currently the Tec-9s are the biggest concern," added a detective in the firearms unit. "They're everywhere ... and in the winter, these guns are easily concealed under bulky jackets."

"It remains to be seen what the effect will be, but lifting the ban can only bring about bad things," Kelly said.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:00:22 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
New York Daily News | September 25, 2004 | PATRICE O'SHAUGHNESSY...

That's as far as anyone need read. The rest is so full of lies and deception that even the byline should be fact-checked.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:04:04 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The Cold AR-15 semiautomatic assault rifle is long, black and sleek and shoots .223-caliber ammunition, or 2-inch long bullets.

Ooooh, that kid of turns me on!!!

Now it can be legally sold in federally licensed gun shops in certain states, along with Uzis, Macs and Tec-9s, the sinister-looking pistols toted by thugs who devastated the city.

"The Tec-9 has the same power as the Glock, but it's a bigger gun, with a big handle, and you can add a flash suppressor - and it's a very menacing gun, and that's why criminals wanted it," said a federal firearms investigator.

"Currently the Tec-9s are the biggest concern," added a detective in the firearms unit. "They're everywhere ... and in the winter, these guns are easily concealed under bulky jackets."

Yeah, I can't wait to face all those thugs with "pre-ban" Tec-9s.  Whille they are busy clearing their actions, I will be bustin' major caps in their heads...
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:05:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I wonder what percentage of the population lives in blissful ignorance and actually BELLIEVES that the AWB prohibited the selling of AR-clones during the entire ban.

Does anyone have any numbers on how many post-ban ARs, AKs, FALs, HKs, CETMEs and other "assault rifles" were sold during the AWB?

If someone claims that crime with "assault rifles" dropped during the AWB, then the fact that all existing "assault rifles" were grandfathered, and tens of thousands of new functionally identical post-bans were added - that would seem to suggest that "more assault rifles = less crime"

Anyone have any rough numbers on the post-ban production of all of those?

(I know it's not really proof, but it would probably convince most people)
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:05:38 AM EDT
[#4]

Ban cold water and low temperatures.  Do it for the children.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:08:40 AM EDT
[#5]
this wench is so fucking stupid it's beyond belief!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:11:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
...sinister-looking...

i think that about covers it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:19:09 AM EDT
[#7]

said Kelly. "A 30- or 50-round clip put in a semiautomatic, you just keep pulling the trigger and you put out an awful lot of firepower."

[karma calling]Amadou Diallo[/karma calling]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:25:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Semiautomatic assault rifles have returned, and cops who face them know all too well what they can do

While the entire cartridge may be over 2" long, the bullet certainly isn't.

For 10 years, the sale and manufacture of the fearsome weapon was illegal anywhere in America.

While those with certain evil features were banned, the neutered ones continued to sell, better than before the ban.

Last week, as some Southern stores resumed sale of the rifle, Police Officer Darrell Corti demonstrated its destructive power.

Corti aimed the weapon at a cinderblock at the NYPD firing range at Rodman's Neck in the Bronx and pulled the trigger. The burst of gunfire rang loudly in the ears despite protective gear. The narrow bullet traveled at such a high velocity that it pierced a half-dollar-sized hole in the inch-thick side of the stone before shattering into shiny fragments.

Ya, and I've seen young kids do the same with their fists in martial arts demonstrations................so what!!

The round is capable of penetrating some bulletproof vests.

So far, the only statement that has a hint of truth in it.

"These are weapons of war, and to make them more readily available is certainly a concern for us," said Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly. "It is a concern for police officers because they're the ones at 2 a.m. who are most likely to confront these types of weapons."

The average 2am gansta isn't going to shell out the cash for an AR.  He'll have some cheap ass Highpoint or something like that.

More than a decade ago, the AR-15 had been routinely used by dealers to guard drug dens. Now it can be legally sold in federally licensed gun shops in certain states, along with Uzis, Macs and Tec-9s, the sinister-looking pistols toted by thugs who devastated the city.

Links, cases, documentation, proof..............................none.........................That's what I thought - unfounded speculation.

With the expiration of the federal assault weapons ban two weeks ago, will the guns that held neighborhoods in the clench of violence in the late 1980s and early 1990s be making a comeback?

Ya, I remember the "running and gunning" 80's and 90's, made present day Iraq look like a picnic.

"Assault weapons will be more lethal and less expensive. High capacity magazines will be back in production for civilian sale," the Consumer Federation of America darkly concluded after polling weapons manufacturers.

New York's own ban on assault weapons remains in effect, and the city has some of toughest gun laws in the nation, but traffickers have managed to smuggle in thousands of illegal handguns each year through Southern states, where lax laws allow multiple purchases and the use of so-called straw buyers.

As always blame it on the neighbors - if they had their way, guns would be available and it would be Canada's and Mexico's fault.

Authorities are concerned that as stores now offer the higher-powered weapons, as well as certain styles favored by criminals and magazines holding as many as 50 bullets, that the weapons will make their way into the arsenals of the city's gangs and drug organizations.

"We are concerned anytime illegal firearms, whether handguns or rifles, are trafficked or possessed in New York City," said William McMahon, special agent in charge of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives New York office. "In the hands of criminals, any of these weapons can be deadly."

The new availability of increased firepower is a major concern. Under the ban, dealers could not sell magazines holding more than 10 bullets.

Yes they could, as long as they were produced prior to Sept. '94, and let's see, there were about a bazillion 30 round AR mags produced prior to that date.

"With the magazine limitation lifted, you have in effect what amounts to putting an automatic weapon on the street," said Kelly. "A 30- or 50-round clip put in a semiautomatic, you just keep pulling the trigger and you put out an awful lot of firepower."

"They're going to shoot what they've got," said a Bronx investigator.

But the National Rifle Association said the fears are unfounded.

"We've received phone calls from numerous rank-and-file police who know this ban had nothing to do with crime," said Andrew Arulanandam, an NRA spokesman. "These guns have been available in different forms. A magazine is a piece of metal. The focus ought not to be on an inanimate object, but on the criminal, who gets guns through the black market."

The ban on 19 weapons was signed into law by former President Bill Clinton after shootouts among drug dealers claimed hundreds of innocent lives in inner cities and deranged killers armed with assault rifles grabbed headlines in pristine suburbs.

Assault rifles had such features as a folding stock, a night sight, a flash suppressor, a bayonet mount, a pistol grip and a large magazine capacity.

Of 125 guns taken off the street last year by just one firearms investigations team, 10 of them were banned weapons; most were cheap 9-mm. handguns.

With the ban lifted, some criminals may covet the status and intimidating reliability of once forbidden firepower, investigators said.

For example, the newly available Colt AR-15 bears a revered name in the gun industry, known for accurate, well-made weapons.

Likewise, the Mac-10 is twice the size of the Glock 9-mm. carried by cops, and packs a 30-shot ammunition clip.

Although the firms that manufactured some of the guns are defunct, stores may have inventories they were previously unable to sell. And authorities believe a manufacturer will fill the void. The Tec-9 is also a weapon that helped spike the city's murders to a record 2,245 in 1990.

"It remains to be seen what the effect will be, but lifting the ban can only bring about bad things," Kelly said.

I quit halfway because my fingers were cramping up from all the typing, exposing the lies and BS.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:28:45 AM EDT
[#9]
You know if you call them they will actually transfer you to her desk. A friend of mine just did that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:46:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Damnit...

I wish journalists would conveniently fall down the steps and break their typin hands.  They have no idea what the hell they are talking about.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:10:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted: Weapons that can shatter concrete

I don't know what's friggin' worse: The 10 years that we had to endure the ban, or senseless, baseless articles like this one that will continue to be written now that the ban is gone.....

Will it end? Will it EVER end???

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:29:08 AM EDT
[#12]
On two seperate occaisions, I've seen drunks break cinderblocks with their heads.

Cinderblocks do not have much impact resistance.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:05:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
On two seperate occaisions, I've seen drunks break cinderblocks with their heads.

Cinderblocks do not have much impact resistance.

Kung Fu Wino?

Heeeyyyyaaaa!  Drunk slams head into cinderblock breaking it down the middle.

He staggers backward and pees his pants.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:09:24 AM EDT
[#14]
These are weapons of war

that says it all.......2nd ammendment.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:17:12 AM EDT
[#15]
tagged
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:25:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Wow, the .223 fires a 2 inch long bullet huh? I wonder what twist rate you would need for a 150 gr. .223 bullet? It must have been a single shot"Assault" rifle. I'd like to see the mag that these work out of. I wonder if the police chief guy also showed them how ball from a sling shot will crack a concrete block. Probably not. They aren't " Black and sleek" so they must not be evil.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:39:55 AM EDT
[#17]
I've got a couple of those things on order with my local ice cream truck.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:43:42 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

FUNNY, I DONT REMEMBER ANY 9MM HANDGUNS ON THE AWB

AHH, THE RELIABILITY OF A TEC-9, OR A RAVEN 9MM.

Kelly said.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:05:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I wonder what percentage of the population lives in blissful ignorance and actually BELLIEVES that the AWB prohibited the selling of AR-clones during the entire ban.

Does anyone have any numbers on how many post-ban ARs, AKs, FALs, HKs, CETMEs and other "assault rifles" were sold during the AWB?

If someone claims that crime with "assault rifles" dropped during the AWB, then the fact that all existing "assault rifles" were grandfathered, and tens of thousands of new functionally identical post-bans were added - that would seem to suggest that "more assault rifles = less crime"

Anyone have any rough numbers on the post-ban production of all of those?

(I know it's not really proof, but it would probably convince most people)

Yep, this is the most convincing argument I've found when dealing with antis.  I first ask them if the AWB had any effect on crime.  They expound on how much safer the streets were, then I tell them that the ban was all about cosmetics and that there was about a tenfold increase in the number of AR15s "on the street" in the last 10 years.  Every single one I've used that argument with just stammers for a few seconds and then shuts up or comes back with some piece of typical anti BS like "I still don't like the idea", "they still scare me", etc.

I have no problem quoting the factor 10 (for AR15s) because there were easily 10 postbans for every preban between all the AR owners I know.  Some stats from the manufacturers would be nice, of course.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top