Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2004 4:12:21 AM EDT
Toronto Sun article here

Canadian soldiers attached to the Afghan National Army (ANA) have stirred up a hornet's nest in Kabul by being too efficient.

They've "discovered" a huge Soviet ammunition dump a few kilometres from Camp Julien with the potential of obliterating the camp, as well as most of Kabul.

That may sound like hyperbole, but I was with the Canadians who discovered the cache -- soldiers (mostly Princess Pats and combat engineers) who are training and working with the ANA and consider themselves to have the best job in the army.

In the dusty foothills, 10 minutes drive from Camp Julien (population 2,000), 82 buried bunkers, each 20-

metres long, housed thousands of Soviet FROG missiles (one step down from Scud missiles), and every variety of rocket and mortar shells.

Some of the FROG missiles were still in their original cases. Some heaped in the open. Some stacked to the roof in the unlocked, open bunkers. Much of the ordnance had warheads removed to collect the explosive for homemade bombs
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:17:53 AM EDT
[#1]
This is no different than what would happen if someo one ever managed to occupy this country.  I wonder how many of these bunkers they have yet to find.

I noticed that it was in an area secured by the Belgians.  The French attempted to stick up for the them.  The Germans realized what was going on and supported the Canadians.

Who knows how many bombs were made from this cache.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:18:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Interesting.   And we are STILL finding WWII ordnance in Germany.

I wonder what we might still find in Iraq.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:37:58 AM EDT
[#3]
If people survive for another thousand years archaelologists will wonder WTF we were doing and a few just might blow themselves up excavating.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:41:09 AM EDT
[#4]
now if only one or two of those rockets had a nuke tip...

but that's too much to hope for.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:43:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top