Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2002 12:18:49 PM EDT
Is anyone else fed up with the survivors of September 11, [b]demanding money?[/b] This lady was demanding 2.5 million dollars for her and her children. Her statement , "after "that day" and what happened to my husband I need more than what they gave me."
[puke]

Why should they get anything in the first place? Nobody is at fault of what happened that day. And how does it differ from driving and getting in an accident. All they would be able to receive then, would be the insurance, if they had any? Who is going to pay 1 million dollars to the widow of a fireman, who died last week while putting out a simple warehouse fire.?

Worst yet how much money is given or is going to be given to the poor families who have lost love ones in the past week, overseas fighting terrorism. I am just sick of people demanding money from the government for a tragedy that happened, that it had no control over.

Link Posted: 3/12/2002 12:28:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I think that the SGLI limit is somewhere between $200K-$300K for those on active duty. It was at $200K when I go out in 1999, but it went up sometime after that to either $250K or $300K.

I think that the problem with the victim's compensation mess really started when the government decided to play charity-giver.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 1:00:09 PM EDT
[#2]
L_G -

Welcome to the Age of the Trial Lawyer, where every unfortunate circumstance can land you a huge money award, and every tragedy gives you the right to become a millionaire.

Link Posted: 3/12/2002 1:13:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I think that the SGLI limit is somewhere between $200K-$300K for those on active duty. It was at $200K when I go out in 1999, but it went up sometime after that to either $250K or $300K.

I think that the problem with the victim's compensation mess really started when the government decided to play charity-giver.
View Quote

The Max is $250K. Almost all servicemen (and women) take that option before they go overseas. Especially if they have a family.

IMHO, you can never put a price on someones life. At the most, these people should be taken care of to make sure they can get by. The gov't and taxpayers don't need to be making payments on some CEOs Yacht. It's too bad that some of these people feel that they are entitled to millions. If I lost my loved one, money would be the farthest thing from my mind. I'd find a way to feed my children and keep a roof over my head. Thats the easy part. The hard part would be the loss of my loved one, I don't know how I could deal with that.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 1:19:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't understand why the Government is paying out any money to family members of the victims.  Not to be mean but it wasn't the US Government's fault, who could have envisioned what happened.  As long as they kill the Taliban by the thousands that should be pay back enough.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 1:23:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not going cause I'm gonna have my head frozen in liquid nitrogen for future reanimation!

[url]www.cryonics.org[/url]

[img]http://www.cryonics.org/facility1.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 3/12/2002 1:29:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Amen PluckMaster!!!!!!!

I didn't lose anyone on September 11th, but I still dont feel like we have avenged ourselves enough.  It is time this country starts getting tough, and I for one don't see anything wrong with the United States "playing God " with any low-down, terrorist scum harboring country like Afghanistan.  The only thing good that comes from there is the blankets.

Jarhead94
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 1:30:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I mentioned the same thing shortly after Sept.11.  Got some strange looks, but I stated that the firemen and police knew the hazards of the job when they took it.  Yes it was a huge tragedy, but does that entitle people to millions because some dude was doing his job?  A job mind you that that person took voluntarily.  I'm pretty sure they dont draft people into law enforcement or firefighting.  I am sorry for their loss, but everyone takes a certain degree of risk when they take a job.  Steel workers could fall, truckers can jack knife and prison guards can be killed in riots.  Does this entitle their families to millions?  In my opinion, no.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 8:14:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't understand why the Government is paying out any money to family members of the victims. Not to be mean but it wasn't the US Government's fault, who could have envisioned what happened.
View Quote

Hmmmmmmm.... How about the Afghanis go after Bin Laden and Islamic extremists for the bringing a world of shit down on their heads instead. I'm sure Al Queda has money.
 I wonder if they have a case. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 8:25:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nobody is at fault of what happened that day.
View Quote

you mean nobody in the U.S. who should feel guilt over the acts and thus not feel obligated to pay, right?

cuz i can think of a people who need to accept the blame.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 8:29:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Oklahoma's version of the "Watts Wail"...

[url]http://www.newsok.com/cgi-bin/show_article?ID=834538&pic=none&TP=getarticle[/url]

With the recent announcement that the federal government will pay victims of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks a minimum of $250,000, some Oklahoma City bombing victims, along with Oklahoma's congressmen and governor, want to know why they aren't receiving the same treatment...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top