Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2006 10:48:54 PM EDT
Was advised by dispatch tonight that an officer in the northern part of the state was lost.  RIP brother.

www.cnn.com/2006/US/02/04/robida.arrest.ap/

NORFORK, Arkansas (AP) -- A teenager suspected of a hatchet and gun attack in a Massachusetts gay bar was captured here Saturday after a rural police officer was gunned down and a female passenger of the teen killed in a shootout with police several minutes later, state police said.

Jacob D. Robida was wounded in the shootout and taken to a Springfield, Missouri, hospital, according to state police spokesman Bill Sadler.

After police Officer Jim Sell, 56, was shot to death in the northern Arkansas town of Gassville, a witness told police a green Pontiac with Kentucky license plates left the scene, Sadler said.

Troopers laid down spike strips on Arkansas 201 to puncture the tires, but the car didn't stop.

About 15 miles from Gassville, gunfire was exchanged with police in Norfork, where the 18-year-old was wounded and a female passenger was killed, Sadler said. He did not know the name of the passenger or her relationship with Robida.

Investigators had searched for Robida since Thursday's attack at a bar in New Bedford, Massachusetts. Three men were wounded, one critically, with a hatchet and a gun.

The hatchet used in the attack was found outside the bar, but detectives believed Robida still had the gun.

Robida was a high school dropout who friends say glorified Naziism but never expressed any specific prejudice against gays.

"This is insane," said Heather Volton, 22, of Fall River, Massachusetts, who had known Robida for more than a year. "That kid never so much as raised his voice at me ... This is all pretty much a shock to me, like everyone else."

Latest reports say that the perp was shot twice in the head during the shootout.  Perp died this morning at the hospital.  I'm sure there's a special place in hell for Robida.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:15:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I work in Izard county, Norfork is about 25 miles from our county line. I'll have to check but I think Jim was a member of our FOP lodge in Mnt Home. RIP and god speed Patrolman Jim Sell.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:28:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:41:42 AM EDT
[#3]
RIP Bro.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:23:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:28:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:13:15 AM EDT
[#6]
RIP Bro

Be Safe
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:44:44 AM EDT
[#7]

RIP

Sean
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:47:41 AM EDT
[#8]
G*d has another Angel, RIP Bother
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:44:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:47:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#11]
RIP.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:44:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:57:00 PM EDT
[#13]
REST IN PEACE BROTHER

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:14:08 PM EDT
[#14]
The service for Officer Sell is Friday at 1300 in Mt. Home.    I hope everybody who is close can make it.  I'll find out what funeral home and post it.  I'll be there along with the rest of my department.

www.fox16.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=EDB05155-AF4E-4A31-B01B-DB1512E4844A

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:35:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:46:18 PM EDT
[#16]
The service is at Eastside Baptist church.  Visitation is at Roller on Thursday from noon to 9pm.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:00:00 PM EDT
[#17]
jim sell retired from the blytheville police dept. in blytheville ark. in 2000. he was a capt. at our dept. i work with jim for many,many years. jim was from the old school. if your were a cop, then you were part of his family. jim was liked by everyone he knew. it's funny, blytheville is not a great big town. however our crime rate is very high with viloent crimes. jim served 25 years here and made it to retirement. he and his wife then moved to gassville to build his retirment home in 2000. his wife died last year of cancer. he was working part time because he loved being a cop. its sad that he moved to a small town where nothing ever happened. he was shot in the head 2 times by the S.O.B. jim will be remembered well by all that knew him. my prayers are with his family and friends.

ponyboy remembers you jim (lt. david flora)

MAY ALL TAKE NOTICE!!!    THERE IS NO THING AS A ROUTINE TRAFFIC STOP!!!!

BE SAFE

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top