Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
4/22/2019 5:32:20 PM
Posted: 11/27/2014 2:16:33 PM EDT
My G/F of over 4 years got a phone call this morning from her mom in Mexico, where they are missionaries. Her dad was having some pain lately and had seen a doctor, had some tests, and unfortunately this morning, it looks like he had a major stroke and passed away. They had just arrived at the hospital because he was having pain again this morning and had some convulsions. We will most likely be bringing his remains here to Florida to be buried, and I'm wondering if anyone has any kind of experience with shipping remains into the US, who do we contact about doing this, and approximate costs. Any kind of information is appreciated. Things are very much up in the air as this just happened a few hours ago, but decisions must be made.

For those needing a picture, see my avatar
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:23:00 PM EDT
Sorry about that, wow.
Concentrate on caring for your family and go one step at a time.
Nobody has a choice in where they check out.
Be supportive and roll with it.
That's all I have.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:24:33 PM EDT
Contact the US Embassy. They will help you.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:26:21 PM EDT
My condolences. Contact a funeral home. They should know the procedure to get his remains home.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:28:41 PM EDT
Very sorry for your/your girlfriend's loss.

I would try the embassy as far as arrangements.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:32:14 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fcat:
My condolences. Contact a funeral home. They should know the procedure to get his remains home.
View Quote

I would start with local funeral home. Tell them where the remains are and have them assist you with the paperwork and process. They do this for a living, so they will know the procedure.

As far as price, you are looking at cost of air frieght to ship remains. Could very well be several thousand. Im sure the Mexican officials will require some sort of fee as well.

Best of luck.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:41:25 PM EDT
Condolences, OTOH contact a cartel, Profit $$$.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:41:46 PM EDT
I'm sorry for your loss. The family is in my prayers.

A coworker of mine's father died in the far east last year (where he lived part of the time). Contact the US Embassy as they will provide assistance, including a death certificate.

Go here on the State Department's website for more information.

US Customs will not provide any trouble if you bring an embalmed body or ashes in a proper container back to the US. On an odd side note, human remains are duty free.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:59:04 PM EDT
Sorry for your loss, prayers out to you and girlfriend. May God Bless.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:00:48 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rustybelly:
Condolences, OTOH contact a cartel, Profit $$$.
View Quote

Wait. Wut?

Sorry, OP. That's awful. What kind of pain was he having and where?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:09:51 PM EDT
Thank you everyone. I'll pass this along. Unfortunately her mom is down there with no family now to help, but they have a large network of friends from the 35 years they've been there.

This morning he had a headache, and then the seizing, and over the last few days, he was having pain in his chest and legs. They did have tests done, but they came back fine, and he is not one to complain about things. A possible heart attack was suspected over the last few days due to the chest pains, but with what happened this morning, I guess they have determined it was a stroke. We got a 15 second phone call just a few moments after her mom was told by the doctor that he was gone, so details are scarce right now. I don't use the Facebook much, so I hadn't really been keeping up on it, no one thought it was anything very serious. He was only 61 I believe. My g/fs grandma will be 99 in January, everyone who answered the phone when we called them said they thought it was grandma who passed.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:19:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/27/2014 3:22:49 PM EDT by dtrosch]
Sorry for your loss...

The U.S. Embassy in Mexico City and its nine Consulates serve the families of Americans who die in Mexico. If you are requesting Embassy/Consulate services, please view our interactive map to locate your nearest American Citizens Services section.

Important Information - Read First

Remains that are not disposed of within the legal time limit and which remain unclaimed may be sent to a common grave for burial.

It is critical that families contract a funeral home to help them carry out funeral arrangements. The Embassy maintains a list of funeral homes operating within the Mexico City Consular District that have been used by U.S. citizens in Mexico. Funeral services and preparations are carried out in accordance with the laws and facilities available in Mexico, but in some cases may fall short of those expected in the U.S.

Even though the Embassy staff is unable to act as agents for American citizens making funeral arrangements, Embassy staff can:

  • Help locate and notify the next-of-kin of their loved one's passing.
  • Inform families about the Mexican legal requirements for claiming a loved one's remains.A list of frequently asked questions that Mexican authorities ask when claiming a loved one’s remains can be foundhere.
  • Issue a Report of Death Abroad of an Amercian Citizen.
  • Issue a Consular Mortuary Certificate. The Consular Mortuary Certificate is one of the documents that the funeral home will need in order to transport the decent to the United States for burial. In order to obtain this document, a representative from the funeral home will come to the Embassy with certain required documents.
  • Assist in shipping the decendent's personal effects to the United States
The next-of-kin is responsible for all costs of the funeral home, and/or shipment of remains or personal effects. It is also the responsibility of the family to carry out the funeral arrangements with assistance from the contracted funeral home. Please be aware that Mexican authorities will often request identification documents for both the next-of-kin and the decedent, such as passports, birth certificates, or marriage certificates.

The Embassy also prepares a Report of Death of a U.S. Citizen Abroad based on the local Mexican death certificate. This document can be used in most legal proceedings in the United States as proof of death overseas. To prepare this document, Embassy staff will need original evidence of U.S. citizenship of the decedent and the original Mexican death certificate.

The following information is provided to assist families with their initial decisions following the death of a loved one. Costs are estimates only based on surveys of area funeral homes. There are several religious institutions within Mexico City which offer a range of funeral services depending on the faith of the decedent, though options may be more limited in less populous areas.

Top Top