Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2016 8:37:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 8:39:56 PM EDT
[#1]

I've been toying with the idea of making something like that for myself.  I've got a five gallon bucket full of railroad spikes.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 8:45:21 PM EDT
[#2]
So where do you find forge coal in Florida?  Supply house?
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 8:46:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Somewhere IMPORTant.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 8:47:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Amazon?
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 8:49:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Cool.

Any pics? I'd love to see what he's made.

Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:00:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Forged American will be forging at a forge! I love America!
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:41:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Why is it alway wrestlers  

Calliflower culture is best culture.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:00:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm headed down to southern Ohio this weekend to see the in laws and picking up a few bags of coal for my brake drum forge.

I can't wait till my sons older and teach him the basics as every day I use it I learn something new.
Also the FIL has some spikes for me from his railroad client .

Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:07:19 PM EDT
[#9]
The last couple years my wife's family has been drawing names so everyone only has to buy for one person each. Works good, everybody likes it.

Last Christmas my mother in law decided to pull a prank and put on her name in the draw bag. Her intention was to own up in a couple months and nobody is supposed to tell who they drew...kinda like a Secret Santa deal.

We all figured out what she did within a couple hours on our way home (yeah, I guess we didn't follow the rules either ).

About a month later my wife was having lunch with her grandmother and said something about it. Gramma almost choked on her BLT and told my wife "you just watch, she will forget she did that until Thanksgiving then she'll panic".

So we all redrew names without telling MIL and everyone bought her coal stuff.

-one copy of "Coal miners daughter"
-a coal miners helmet.
-coal soap.
Etc.

Sire enough Thanksgiving came along and she panic confessed to my wife. Wife played it off like we didn't know and told her all the shopping was done and everyone eould try and return stuff and she was bad and should feel bad. MIL isn't expecting anything at this point so we hope she's going to enjoy her presents on Christmas day. She'll have more unwrapping than anyone but the kids and it's all coal stuff
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:09:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Forge a musket barrel
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:16:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 11:22:16 PM EDT
[#12]
How about getting the kid some decent steel to work with....spikes are shit low carbon steel. Get him something he can forge and learn/improve his technique with.....maybe make some damascus with.

Doesn't have to be expensive steel....some 10xx knife steel from NJ Steel Baron  They have everything you need.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 11:25:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We got my 16 year old cousin 4- 40 pound bags of coal for Christmas.

For his own forge and anvil where he is hand crafting fucking knives and axes out of rail spikes.

Kid is badass. He's a star wrestler and football player, a badass hunter/trapper and an A student.

Kid will probably be a fucking SEAL or a Green Beret one day.

So proud. Real Americans are still being forged in this country :)
View Quote

Does he sell any of his homemade knives and whatnot?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top