Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2002 8:15:15 PM EDT
 So what should I know about this jeep?  I have no knowledge of what problems (if any) are endemic to this model.  It has a 4.0 liter HO engine, auto overdrive, PT 4whl drive.  Any experience would be helpful.  TIA.                
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 8:37:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the Grand Cherokee and love it! I have 120+ thousand miles on it...brake pads are always suspect and I just replaced the radiator. Other than tires and lights..it's been a low problem vehicle. I have the 4.0 and it has all the torque I need for offroad and highway. Have the rotors checked, I had to replace mine shortly after I bought it "30,000 miles". I do go through alot of brake pads. The transmission has been great as is the whole driveline.

I Put a K&N filter and run Amsoil in all my fluids and oils. Good upgrades. Gel cell battery, push bar, Hella driving lights...nice Jeep.

You've got a good all-around vehicle, just take care of it and change oil at the proper intervals. Did I mention I had a special seat holster made for my Bushmaster? Yep..it's behind the passenger seat back....fits like a glove and is concealed. The collapsible makes that possible.[:D]

Good luck,
[b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 8:49:10 PM EDT
[#2]
What year and how many miles?

I've had 3 Cherokees and still have the third one (an 89)with 230,000 miles on it. It has been very reliable, although in the last year I replaced the radiator, water pump, fuel injectors, exhaust manifold, coolant temp sensor and, just a few months ago the auto trans. It's now good to go for another 1/4 million miles. The engines are bullet proof if you change oil regularly. I only had to pay for parts though because I work on cars for a living.

I did buy a 96 Grand Cherokee last summer. Because I'm getting older and wanted something with a softer ride for day to day driving [:)]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 8:56:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a '96 Grand Cherokee with the 4.0  Had it for 4 years now, and hardly any trouble.

The Rotors they designed for these suck... had to replace at 30,000 miles also... and these are known for underpowered brakes.  I pull a boat all over the place weekly with mine... it does ok, but I wish I had gotten the V8 and 4x4 now.

In the XJ (standard) Cherokee, the 4.0 engine feels like a race car!  It makes a big difference in that lighter body.

Other than brakes, and a fuel pump, I have done nothing to mine except change the oil.  It has been a very good car.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 9:11:41 PM EDT
[#4]
A friend got a 99 Cherokee Sport with power everything . I went thru it as it had new brakes .Needed tires so it got 235/75R15 BFG A/T 's . Changed all the fluids , coolant where we added Redline Water Wetter to help it in the Arizona heat . Changed both difs & filled with Mobil 1 gear oil .Auto trans got done & filled with Mobil 1 ATF . The engine also got filled with Mobil 1 . It needed new sparkplugs , got Bosch +4 Platinum . Power steering flush & fill W/ Mobil1 ATF . Then we bled the brakes with Ford Heavy Duty truck DOT 3 fluid .This thing should be ok until it trashes the exhaust header & that is a common problem in hot climates .
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:45:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Good choice. I have had a Cherokee for 12 years and put lots of money into it. It is really set up for off road. I also belong to a Cherokee off road club. There are a few little problem that seem to pop up.
  If the front end has been abused and the tire are out of balance the front will shake.
  The main seal on the transfer case (where the drive shaft connects) will leak and spray on to the exhaust.
   The track bar end wears out.
  If you have any questions feel free to email me.

Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:48:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I have two Jeep Cherokees, one a 1990 with 175,000 miles on it (replaced trans), and the other a 1992 with 318,000 miles (nothing ever replaced, still runs extremely well).

Just treat them decently and they will get the job done!

Eric The(JeeoLoving)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 7:34:50 AM EDT
[#7]
i just traded in a 2001 cherokee, it was a VERY good car we never had a day of trouble out of it in 2 years and the motor is pretty damn stout for a 6 cyl. almost as much power as my new durango 4.7. the only reason we traded it off was the size, we were all cramped, other than that it's a good car
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 1:12:40 PM EDT
[#8]
My 1999 Cherokee needed to have both front power windows repaired under warranty.

Front brakes wear out much faster than the rear.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 1:29:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I have two a 1998 and a 2002 , love them good in the snow and off road( a little, nothing extreme) best ride around for the money.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 1:32:25 PM EDT
[#10]
If I have a few extra hours/days, I can type in all the problems I had with my 99 GRAND Cherokee 4x4 4.7L V8 with Quadra Drive. Its not a Cherokee, but its the 1st year model of the new Grand-Cherokees... Which explains why I had so many problems. It is very fast and handles great though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top