Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2002 2:57:49 PM EDT
I have been checking real estate on the Net, and this place just drew me in.
Denver is going to hell quick, I want to get out of here. It is one overgrown, overpriced, overcrowded police state now, with really crappy gun laws.
Can anybody tell me anything about what to expect in this lovely little town? Weather? Warnings? Anything I should know?
It looks very nice on the Net, but I would love some first hand info.
And.....how do Texans feel about transplanted Coloradans?
I am considering running a B&B there in a gracious old house. Maybe attract some Euro-tourists who want to see the "Wilde West".
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 3:42:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 3:51:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Funny thing, family and myself just went there today. Nice town, lot of local history, great countryside scenery. DFW close by, and as stated in another thread, PK lake is cose by. Weather is windy in spring, hot as he!! in summer. As for strangers(Colo transplants), Texans love them as long as they have our values, and from reading your posts in the past, you're welcome here anytime. By the way, I thought half of Colo. was Texas transplants anyway.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 3:56:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Can anybody tell me anything about what to expect in this lovely little town? Weather?
View Quote

Well I can tell ya about the weather. Since the cold may not be a problem for you as well as the drving in snow and sleath. I might tell you that it gets damn hot here(I personally like the heat and welcome it) talking 100degrees with 120% humidity. Tornadoes, personally I would rather have eartquakes, they're over in seconds.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 4:04:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 4:24:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I think you'll like it.  Mineral Wells is a nice little town.  The water sucks (see town name) but the people are nice (you can get a filter for the water).  P.K. is close and is a great lake.  Actually it is a party lake and a lot of rich folks live there.  It is a deep lake and I have been around $500K boats in that lake.  A B&B may work there, but it is off the beaten path.  You'll have to come down and take a look for yourself.  And about you Texans question....we don't have a problem with Coloradans the way that Coloradans hate Texans.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Hannah
I live in Abilene, and have a sister-in-law that lives in Mineral Wells. (My wife graduated high School there) It is a nice little town, getting bigger.  Weatherford is growing quickly and spreading toward Min Wells.  There is talk of a WM Super Center being built soon. There is a LARGE Hispanic presence there.  Take that as you will.  I don't know of any shooting ranges nearby, but I know of a good gun/pawn shop there.  PK Lake is nice, my in-laws have a place up there and we go a couple of weekends a month.  PK is about the only lake around here that keeps water in it, as the rest of these parts are in the 5th year of a major drought.
Oh, they have a pre-parole corrections facility there too.  
Hope this helps you.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 4:48:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the responses, folks!
Our house here has gone up so much in value I could buy a giant historic old place there outright, and still have a bit left over for our old age. Our kids are grown, and I hate to see my dear husband working himself to death to meet the mortgage payments anymore. Anywhere west of CO is ridiculously overpriced, or just a damned wasteland. I really didn't know where to look, when I stumbled across Mineral Wells in a Net search, and it just *grabbed* me. The intense heat, we would have to adapt to, but I am sure my gardens would be wonderful.
This:
[img]http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/TheHouse.jpg[/img]
is the one I have my eye on, but if not this one, perhaps another.
Does it actually snow there?
Would be nice to ditch the snow and ice.

PS:
Coloradans *used* to resent Texans, but after being overrun by Californians here, y'all look really good these days. [:D] We will be part of the wave that takes the transplants back the other way, I think.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 4:50:41 PM EDT
[#9]
And about you Texans question....we don't have a problem with Coloradans the way that Coloradans hate Texans.
View Quote

True. The only thing we ask is that you don't try to change our fair state into the one you came from.

The best thing to do is come down and visit.  If Mineral Wells is not right for you, I can guarantee that there is a spot in Texas that is.

You can get a Texas State Travel Guide here: [url]www.traveltex.com[/url]
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 5:01:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 5:22:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Mineral Wells...let's see...the Baker Hotel (big old hotel, it's closed now but I stayed there as a small child while my father did Army stuff), old Fort Wolters has a nice shooting range, even a 1000 yard Palma Range there's talk of restoring...far north end of the Hill Country.  Don't know about B&B's there.  Could be potential since I haven't heard one there.  There's a lot of old style Texas quaint in these central-Texas towns.  History sorta passed them by about eighty years ago.

You might also look at Granbury.  It's about twenty minutes south of Mineral Wells.  Has a going B&B business, a lake and a quaint town square.

The towns where B&B's are big business are Fredericksburg and Kerrville in the heart of the Hill Country, Jefferson over on the Louisiana border, and New Braunfels between Austin and San Antonio.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top