Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2002 7:38:20 PM EDT
during the Fox8 news broadcast out of Cleveland tonight. They actually featured a spot about a woman in Maine who shot a would be robber when he broke into her home. The anchor used the term "defending her property and her life" in her description of the event. My wife and I looked at each other with disbelief as I hit the rewind button on the PVR. I am curious about the timing of the spot with the Ohio House ready to vote on a concealed carry bill. Could this be a sign of good things to come here in Ohio? I am not getting my hopes up but it was exciting to see a positive story in the mainstream news media.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 7:39:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Please please let it be true , I might want to move back there one day .
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 6:19:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
during the Fox8 news broadcast out of Cleveland tonight. They actually featured a spot about a woman in Maine who shot a would be robber when he broke into her home.
View Quote

Actually, it occurred in Arlington, Mass.
Here's the blurb:

Arlington Woman Shoots Alleged Intruder
Police Say Woman Repeatedly Warned She Had A Gun

ARLINGTON, Mass. -- A man shot in the neck by a woman when he allegedly broke into her Arlington home remains hospitalized in critical condition.

Police say the woman shot Brian Driscoll, 23, after she had demanded several times that he leave her house Monday afternoon.

Driscoll is listed in critical condition after undergoing surgery at Boston's Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.

Arlington police Lt. John Serson said Driscoll faces burglary charges.

The woman, who has not been identified, was not injured. Police said the gun was properly registered and the shooting was apparently in self-defense, so no charges have been filed.
View Quote

Mortech - Not that we wouldn't welcome you, I hope that you aren't considering moving to Mass.
It's not much better than Kalifornia. Go to Vermont!
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 7:00:10 AM EDT
[#3]
This happened in the Peoples' Republic of Taxachusetts??  And they didn't charge the woman with assault with a deadly weapon???

What is happening to our society when a poor misguided youth has to fear for his safety like this?!?!??
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 7:07:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice to know the weapon was "properly registered".

[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/sadness.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 8:05:20 AM EDT
[#5]
And guess what it wasn't reported in the western part of the state that I can find.
(True Massachucetts media for you.)
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 8:41:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
And guess what it wasn't reported in the western part of the state that I can find.
View Quote

I checked the Boston Globe site...and they had nothing on it, except the AP quote I posted. That's not much of a surprise either..imagine..THE Boston Globe, publishing an article on the use of a gun in self defense!

Although she lived in Arlington, she is lucky she didn't live in Cambridge or Brookline! She'd probably be arrested for violation of Noise ordinances or something.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 9:06:06 AM EDT
[#7]
If only these types of reports happened more often.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 9:17:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

WW,  did you check NECN (New England Cable News), that is where I first saw it.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nice to know the weapon was "properly registered".

By "properly registered", I think he meant the cylinder was correctly aligned with the barrel, so there would be no shaving of lead from the bullet as it passed from the cylinder to the bore.  Yeah right......
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 2:04:29 PM EDT
[#10]
DOH...thanks for clearing that up for me neil. I guess I was still in shock when I was typing and made that error. I wonder if the crook will file some sort of lawsuit against the lady for shooting him? It wouldn't surprise me!
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 8:59:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
DOH...thanks for clearing that up for me neil. I guess I was still in shock when I was typing and made that error. I wonder if the crook will file some sort of lawsuit against the lady for shooting him? It wouldn't surprise me!
View Quote

I'm sorry to say, you are probably correct.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 9:19:21 AM EDT
[#12]
If she'd have emptied the magazine or cylinder she wouldn't have to worry as much about getting sued, by him anyway; nor have to worry about the intruder seeking revenge when they let him go in a month or so.
It wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out that we already has a criminal record.

Has anyone ever tried to suye a particular state when a criminal was let back out on the street knowing that they would just go out and try harder next time?
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 9:28:28 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't have cable. (thus no NECN..)
The local rag Springfield Republican (HA)
wouldn't print such crazy things anyway.
They have a very big bias issue shall we say.
Thanks for pointing this out to us
Massatuckians (those from the hills of western Mass)
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 10:43:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I live in north western Worcester County in MA and never heard a thing...of course I don't have or want cable and live on the lee side of a hill between me and Boston, so I don't get Boston news..Albany, NY; Hartford, CT and occasionally Springfield, MA, but no Boston.  I also cannot stand the reek of the local papers, so I don't read those except a bit online.

I think September 11th has shifted people's perceptions a touch, but Mass is still a pretty tough sell on firearms rights.  What this woman had going for her is that she is a woman mainly.  If it had been a 40 year old white male, he would still be cooling his heels in jail waiting for an arraignment and the civil suit would have been served already.

Don't go counting on Vermont to remain a pro gun state, the Massholes and New Yorkers are moving up in droves and the same sex marriages are stacking up. The old time Yankees are dying off to be replaced with coffee-house liberals in their Orvis coats chunking down gallons of Ben and Jerry's ice cream while shopping at the outlet malls in Manchester Center and Bennington.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 10:55:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Iceman,

I aggree "She was a women, home alone, and afraid". What truly shocked me was they reported this on 2, repeat 2 Boston TV stations and made a point of stating she was not going to be charged. I'm sure the criminal will try a civil suit against her, but if that should fail OH MY GOD!!!! this state may have hope yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top