Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2002 6:18:35 PM EDT
........privledge

Ok guys I have been following firearms saftey rules to the tee all of my life but today i was an idiot. I got home from a church trip and my dad wants me to show him somthing about my 10/22 so im showing him the action and i pop in a clip which i thought was unloaded....well it wasn't. and before you ask i had already checked the gun before i inserted the clip which i for some stupid reason didn't look at.

I proceeded to cock the gun and pull the trigger expecting an audible "click" well as you know I instead got a "POW!"

The bullet hit a small pocket camera (cheap darn thing though) and tore it up it then went through the head of my bead which is an ornamental wood headbord (thankfully down low so its barely noticeable) and proceeded through my wall to the driveway outside barely missing all of our cars.

I beat myself silly for being such an idiot and cried like a baby.

Im just glad though that noone got hurt and that i wasn't using my AR15 because that would have caused ALOT more damage.

What was really cool though is that my parents Forgave me instantly and didn't yell at me a bit. In fact they "GASP" REFUSED to let me pay for the damage!!!! [shock]i would have killed me if id been them!

But i hope this is a lesson to myself and others that you can never be too careful and that you can never perfect firearms safety.

Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes you were dumb and should smack yourself silly.

At least you must have been semi-lucid because you were smart enough to point the gun in a 'safe' direction before pulling the trigger.

There goes another ND.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:31:25 PM EDT
[#2]
You are pardoned of your sin. Everyone is allowed one (1) accidental discharge per lifetime, so long as no one is injured and you have learned your lesson. Now what you do, instead of telling others to try and absolve yourself of that guilty dirty stupid feeling, simply wrap this memory up and put it near the front of your thankfully unpunctured brain, and remember:

The gun is ALWAYS LOADED, especially when it isn't.

By the way... I blew a hole in my wall a few years ago when stripping an "unloaded" Glock 27 that I didn't clear. Nobody was hurt, but it sure rattled my cage. My cat, sleeping on the bed beside me, slept right through it. [:D]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:31:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't beat yourself up too bad.  Just make sure that you know exactly what went wrong and don't ever repeat it.  About 10 years ago I was showing a friend my Ruger P-85.  I was specifically showing him the decocking lever, and how after decocking, the pistol is double action.  I removed the magazine and in front of him and my wife, I racked the slide several times.  I handed him the pistol and said "see, you can pull the trigger."  Luckily, he put the pistol between his legs (we were sitting at a computer desk) and pointed at the ground between his feet.  POW.  Inside the house.  Man.

Later I discovered that the cheap ass reloads that I bought off of a friend had bulged cases. They would not extract when the slide was pulled back.  I should have looked in the pipe.  I always do now.  I Never should have been drinking beer and handling firearms.  I haven't done it since.  I'm glad nobody got hurt.

Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:32:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I KNOW OF 2 LE GUYS, ONE BLEW OFF A FINGER, THE OTHER NUMB NUTS USED THE TRIGGER AS A DECKOCK LEVER AND SHOT HIS SELF BETWEEN THE BIG TOE AND WHATEVER THE OTHER TOE IS WITH A .40 CAL HP. FOR PETES SAKE BE CAREFUL.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:34:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:40:19 PM EDT
[#6]
There is [i]nothing[/i] like an ND to make you a true-believer in safe handling.  I've had ONE, and never EVER want another.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:44:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I know the feeling. Blew my moniter away last month while reading AR-15.com!! Then I posted about it. Thank God my wife and daughter were in the living room and to my back from inside my den when it happened.
P.S. Read my sig line!!

[smoke]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, look at the bright side.  At least it wasn't an accidental discharge in your skivvies. [;)]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:49:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Unfortunately there are two kinds of shooters, those who have had an AD and those who will. Or is it those who admit it and those who are in denial. Learn from it. I've had 2 in my life, the last being about 12 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:49:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't ever forget.....
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:51:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I haven't had a NG - YET!  Come close a couple times though.  Once brought my Ak home from a shoot and as I was getting ready to clean it found a round in the chamber.  Scared hell out of me too!  Another time an FFL handed me his Glock, in the store.  I cycled the slide and looked in the pipe.  Empty.  Trouble is, I failed to check the mag and it WAS full.  DUMB!  Another customer calmly pointed out I had just chambered a round!  No harm done and always kept pointed in safe direction but embarrassed hell out of me - as it should.

I shoot often with my neihbor.  His safety practices are fair but not up to what I expect.  He sometimes gets a little miffed at my insistance on redundat practices.  Last night he PARTLY pulled the mag on his Ruger MkII and pulled the slide back to look in chamber.  Removed mag.  Yep, chambered a round!  Pointed between his legs at the step he was sitting on and pulled the trigger.  BANG!  Felt the heat on the family jewels.  Nice hole in the step.  Lesson learned.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:07:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The bullet hit a small pocket camera (cheap darn thing though) and tore it up it then went through the head of my bead which is an ornamental wood headbord (thankfully down low so its barely noticeable) and proceeded through my wall to the driveway outside barely missing all of our cars.
View Quote

WOW!!! That is one bad-assed 22.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:11:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Wolf,
[i](five hundred times on the back of your headboard)[/i] write;
"The gun is ALWAYS LOADED!  The gun is ALWAYS LOADED! The gun is ALWAYS LOADED! The gun is ALWAYS LOADED! The gun is ALWAYS LOADED! The gun is ALWAYS LOADED! The gun is ALWAYS LOADED! The gun is ALWAYS LOADED! The gun is ALWAYS LOADED!  The gun is ALWAYS LOADED! The gun is ALWAYS LOADED! The gun is ALWAYS LOADED! The gun is ALWAYS LOADED! The gun is ALWAYS LOADED! The gun is ALWAYS LOADED! The gun is ALWAYS LOADED! The gun is ALWAYS LOADED!  The gun is ALWAYS LOADED! The gun is ALWAYS LOADED! The gun is ALWAYS LOADED! The gun is ALWAYS LOADED! The gun is ALWAYS LOADED! The gun is ALWAYS LOADED! The gun is ALWAYS LOADED! The gun is ALWAYS LOADED!  The gun is ALWAYS LOADED! The gun is ALWAYS LOADED! The gun is ALWAYS LOADED! The gun is ALWAYS LOADED! The gun is ALWAYS LOADED! The gun is ALWAYS LOADED! The gun is ALWAYS LOADED! The gun is ALWAYS LOADED!  The gun is ALWAYS LOADED! The gun is ALWAYS LOADED! The gun is ALWAYS LOADED! The gun is ALWAYS LOADED! The gun is ALWAYS LOADED! The gun is ALWAYS LOADED! The gun is ALWAYS LOADED!  The gun is ALWAYS LOADED! The gun is ALWAYS LOADED! The gun is ALWAYS LOADED! The gun is ALWAYS LOADED! The gun is ALWAYS LOADED! The gun is ALWAYS LOADED! The gun is ALWAYS LOADED! The MFer is ALWAYS LOADED!.........." [:D]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:14:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:17:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Here is my AD story

I was 13 and rabbit hunting with my best friend...we drove the family's farm truck up to a pasture....well I loaded my 1100 and swung the gun overmy shoulder and the same time I forgot to put the safety on and I had my hand on the trigger.....emptied 12g #6 into the back fender of the farm truck.  13 Years and AD free now
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:28:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:33:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been shooting (off and on) for thirty years now, and have yet to have my first ND.  Closest I came to it was when I took an Army buddy to the range.  Since he'd only been in the Army for four years, and they didn't use .45's but the Beretta instead, he hadn't fired a .45 until he shot mine at the range...but the first shot was nearly vertical, right into the drop ceiling.  I'd call that a BORDERLINE ND.   That taught him that .45 triggers aren't all that heavy, so stay off them until it's time to launch lead.

I'd like to think and hope I'm the third type of shooter:  The type that never WILL have an ND by rigorous practicing of ALL safety practices, to a paranoid level.  If I don't see light through the barrel, I won't pull the trigger. I inspect magazines for contents (or lack thereof) as carefully as I do the gun.   I stick a finger in the chamber and feel for any obstruction that I might not see.  Insert a cleaning rod and look for the end sticking out of the chamber.

I intend to prove that you can shoot your whole life and never have an ND...but only by being paranoid and triple-checking everything, and of course, even then I STILL follow the basic rules:  The gun is always loaded, and never point it at anything you don't intend to destroy.

CJ

Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:33:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Here is my ND story, (you're right, everybody has one.)
I was sitting behind the counter of my shop in Leadville in 1976......no customers at the time, bored...and was idley playing with my little Colt .25 auto. Reversed the order somehow.....racked the slide THEN dropped the mag. Just wasn't thinking, I guess.
When I dry fired it under the old wooden counter, it went through the wood, and lodged in a bookshelf, penetrating at least 6 old hardback books.
The sound was very loud, I thought, but no one came to check it out; not for 2 hours did I see another soul. Surprised me, because my shop shared an old commercial building with 3 floors of apartments, and the Employment office across a hallway. For all they knew, I could have been shot by a robber, and no one would have cared.
I dug the bullet out, and saved it and the empty brass just to remind myself of how stupid I had been.
Still have them in a little glass case, a relic to the time I was stupid.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:38:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Two years ago, I went to strip my MKII and pulled back the bolt BEFORE I removed the mag, then removed the mag. You gotta dry fire it to tear it down, only it wasnt dry.
I never have been able to find the spot that it hit on my living room floor!
I decided I didnt need to clean it that day.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:41:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I goota agree with Maynard on this one.  I handle my firearms almost daily and have never had an AD/ND.  It's realy quit simple, mags stay out of guns unless at the range or checking out noises. And everytime I handle any firearm I alway, always check the chamber!!

These things aren't toys you know.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:43:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:54:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:54:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

WOW!!! That is one bad-assed 22.  
View Quote

thats what i was thinking. The next time one of my friends says that a .22 is not powerful then ill be able to tell them " heck thats what you think, you have no idea"

oh and whoever said that is is neglagence is really right. the gun is always loaded. and bullets are bullets whether it be .50bmg or .22cal they will always do more damage then you think.

I will never ever forget for the rest of my life.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:56:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 8:11:29 PM EDT
[#25]
I had an AD years ago.  Luckily I was fowling rule number 2, keep your muzzle pointed in a safe direction.  I put a shot in the celing light in the range.  Never forgot to check to see if a gun was loaaded since then.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 8:14:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 8:25:23 PM EDT
[#27]
never underestimate the penetration ability of the .22lr.  a friend of mine was cleaning some of his gun collection a few years back, and when he got to his .22, he must have not bothered to check the chamber because sometime during the cleaning, he pulled the trigger and launched a 40 grainer through his wall, through the bathroom wall, and into the his tile shower.  the bullet was pulled from the tile and he still has it as a reminder not to be stupid.  

in my personal experience, the only accidental discharge i have been a part of was when i was letting a friend of mine shoot my 10/22.  he popped off most of a 30 round clip, and then on about round 27 it went *click*.  he seemed confused and told him to hand me the rifle.  i automatically assumed that it was a stovepipe jam, so i tried to look like a badass by clearing it without looking, and racked the bolt back while rotating the rifle to the side to drop the jammed round.  well im not sure exactly what happened next, but when i relesed the bolt an unusually loud BANG eminated from my ruger.  i can only assume that the bolt dropped on the rim of a cartridge that was not properly oriented in the chamber area.  no damage to the gun or my friend, but i came away with a small piece of brass lodged in my thumb from the exploding case. ALWAYS WEAR GLASSES AT THE RANGE, EVEN WHEN NOT SHOOTING!  fortunately i had the muzzle pointed at the ground and nobody was injured.  my friend, who had never shot a gun before this occasion in his life, was a little shaken by the incedent, but i assured him that stuff like that RARELY happens.  

ive put thousands of rounds through my 10/22 since then, and that has never happened again.  maybe some of you experts can clue me in on the nature of that little failure.  from examining the exploded case, which did not eject from the gun if i recall correctly, it seems that the round was about 2/3 into the chamber when the primer ignited.  the primer had no firing pin marks, but was dented on one side, i assume from the bolt.  my best guess is that when i racked the slide, it didnt fully extract, leaving it partially in the chamber at a slight angle, so when the bolt fell on the it was jammed sideways a little, providing the energy and the angle necessary for the flat bolt face to ignite the primer.  

but i dunno.

my point is watch where you point that muzzle AT ALL TIMES.

-spaceman
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 8:28:42 PM EDT
[#28]
I was at a range one day and I had been shooting a little beretta bobcat .22

Someone calls to make the range safe so I point the little gun at the ground and try to let the hammer up. Those damn little hammers get away surprisingly easily. I accidentally shot the ground in front of me trying to let the hammer up. Now I always flip up the little barrel or empty the chamber on other guns before I try this. Good thing I had it pointed somewhere safe.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 8:46:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 8:49:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Hiya Wolf -
 I have had 1 or 2, fortunately I had enough sense to keep the weapon in a safe direction.  Even my father-in-law, weapons instructor and lifelong pistol competitor, put a 357mag thru my kitchen ceiling.
 You have had the ND, now make it the only ND you've ever had.  Ops
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 8:51:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 7:06:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Unfortunately there are two kinds of shooters, those who have had an AD and those who will. Or is it those who admit it and those who are in denial. Learn from it. I've had 2 in my life, the last being about 12 years ago.
View Quote

I beg to differ.  I don't see how anyone can let the hammer fall with out know whether the chambers empty or not.  Been shooting for 34 years and haven't had a negligent discharge yet.  Maybe it's because I started with that Daisey lever action BB gun.  You knew everytime you cocked it and pulled the trigger it would be loaded.

Also I'm suprised at everything that .22 penetrated without disintegrating; camera, head board, sheet rock, exterior sheathing (1/2" ply wood?) and then the siding.

That must have been one hell of a .22.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 7:31:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I beg to differ.  I don't see how anyone can let the hammer fall with out know whether the chambers empty or not.  Been shooting for 34 years and haven't had a negligent discharge yet.  Maybe it's because I started with that Daisey lever action BB gun.  You knew everytime you cocked it and pulled the trigger it would be loaded.

Also I'm suprised at everything that .22 penetrated without disintegrating; camera, head board, sheet rock, exterior sheathing (1/2" ply wood?) and then the siding.

That must have been one hell of a .22.
View Quote

Perhaps it was a .50BMG necked down to a .22LR slug... [;)]
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 8:59:55 AM EDT
[#34]
This is not an ND story and the gun didn't go off.  BUT.....  I was checking out my Glock 19 and sitting at bottom of the bed.  The wife was reading a book in bed sitting up at the headboard.  I chambered a round and then pulled out the mag.  At this point I pulled the slide back to eject the chambered round.  After doing so I replaced bullet in the mag and then replaced the mag without chambering a round.

My wife then points out that as I was in the process of ejecting the chambered round I was pointing the gun right at her head.

HOLY SH!T!!!!!!!!  I got a hot flash through my body and shakily put the gun back on the top shelf of the closet.  That scared teh hell out of me as I normally am very conscious of the muzzle.  A ND then would have killed my wife.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 10:34:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
snip.....and remember:

The gun is ALWAYS LOADED, especially when it isn't.

View Quote

Amen!  Preach the Gospel, Brother!!!  [beer]
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 11:33:59 AM EDT
[#36]
i dont know if you would consider my incident an ad or nd but here it is.

it was late at knight and i wa sin my room tending my stuff. i heard someone in the liveing room, (yeah someone was in my home uninvited and i lived alone) i wasn't expecting anyone so i grabbed my shotgun, then as now kept with a full tube but nothing in the chamber. started for the liveing room with the shotgun at port arms, declaring that i was armed and prepared to defend my home, while racking the shotgun.

as soon as the chamber was locked, BANG.,,, and no i didn't have ny finger on the trigger. as it turned out something (old oil or maby cosmoline) had jammed the fireing pin in the "fired" position, so when the bolt closed the protruded fireing pin did its job. needless to say the intruder disapeared in rapid fassion.

so, now i am not only a zoelot about firearms safety, but also of maintenence and repair.

had i known the condition of the fireing pin i wouldn't have had this happen.

btw, the #8 bird shot went through the wall, and the outside sideing without even hesitateing. of course it disipated long b-4 it could hit the neighbors house.

glad noone was hurt, live and learn man.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top