Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2002 7:03:50 PM EDT
Went to see this tonite.The Vets in the audience flinched and the ladies cried, had a few tears myself.Every one should see this movie or read the book.When the film was finished every one just left in silence,teary eyed, hushed,like leaving a funeral of a beloved friend or relative.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 7:32:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Very good movie, but very hard to watch.  When people say "war is hell,"  this is what they mean.  Have a good day.  (You have to see the movie.)
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 7:34:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#3]
It was really a great story, and I'm glad it got told.

Garry Owen!
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 7:53:42 PM EDT
[#4]
My dad read the book and gave it to me.  It a good read.  I was watching some home movies my dad took in Vietnam.  He was a Corpsman.  He left right after I was born.  My mom asked him why he had to go to Vietnam and he said, "If I don't go now my boys will have to go later."  He died two years ago.  I do miss him.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 8:00:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 8:11:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My dad read the book and gave it to me.  It a good read.  I was watching some home movies my dad took in Vietnam.  He was a Corpsman.  He left right after I was born.  My mom asked him why he had to go to Vietnam and he said, "If I don't go now my boys will have to go later."  He died two years ago.  I do miss him.
View Quote

The world is the poorer for his loss.  I am sorry, but I'm glad you had many years to enjoy your own personal hero.  My dad was a Corpsman in Korea, but after the fighting officially stopped.  I think 1956 and '57.  He is alive, but getting "up there" in years.  Your father was a hero, thank God for men like him.  [:)]  
View Quote

......and your father as well.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 8:35:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree it was a very good movie, but I wondered at the end if the next generation will be willing to fight after they have been raised on a steady diet of reality war movies.  

But I guess that's the whole point.

The end is depressing when the NVA General returns to the abandoned battleground and says
"What a shame, the Americans will call it a victory, and thousands more will die, but the end result will be the same."

The film definitely had an agenda, but still is a must see.

In these times though, I would have welcomed just a little bit of good old fashioned WWII style pro American Propaganda.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 4:23:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 9:49:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 9:59:36 PM EDT
[#10]
A co 227th Aviation Regiment. 1st Cav Division. Vulture Aviation. Hooah!

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 10:04:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 10:06:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey, no biggie, I was glad for all the years I did that job. Liked it enough to go Guard after 8 years of active duty. Will I be seeing you at the BR Convention?  [:)]

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]

Edited to add that yes, I am getting settled in. Have broadband connection finally and found a nice range about 1 mile from my house! Too close to the neighbors though, I cant shoot my binary targets there  LoL
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 10:08:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 10:52:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By AR 15 Fan:
Went to see this tonite.The Vets in the audience flinched and the ladies cried, had a few tears myself.Every one should see this movie or read the book.When the film was finished every one just left in silence,teary eyed, hushed,like leaving a funeral of a beloved friend or relative.
View Quote

The theatre that I was in was much like the one you described.  There were many times when it was tough to hold back the tears.  Some say we dont need to see war like that.  They say that we know its bad and we get the idea without it.  I stongly disagree.  I feel its extremely important for these stories to be told.  Many of the younger Americans dont read books but will go see a movie.  I garantee everyone in that theater was touched.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 10:59:11 PM EDT
[#15]
ok, now I gotta see the movie.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top